New
Find
Notify
Tools

gun prices in Alaska
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got a buddy moving to Delta Junction in June and he desparately needs a hunting rifle.

What caliber would be best to get for hunting moose and caribou? I was thinking he should get a 300WinMag.

Are rifle prices much different in Alaska as compared to the lower 48 (i.e. Montana)?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300 Win. is a good choice. I'd say your friend can find a reasonably priced rifle in an Alaska friendly caliber up here as easily as he could in Montana - and get to know the local gun dealer(s) in the process..

"No game is dangerous unless a man is close up"
Teddy Roosevelt 1885.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger 338wm Stainless & Plastic is $547.00 in soldotna Big Grin

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I'm with you on the .300. Prices are a little higher but not much.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A boring 30-06 would do the trick.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would get a 338 win mag in a stainless Ruger model 77 with a 3x9 nikon scope on it and be done.Its the best rig for Alaska.Mine will all shoot under 1" and my stainless one with shoot 3/4" groups at 200 yards with factory ammo.The ruger 77 stainless is one tough rifle also.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Alaska in 1999 and 2000 rifle prices were the same.

Houses were murder!

Land for some reason is more expensive than I thought it should be.

Cars are expensive too.

Clothing and other outdoor stuff is the same.

A six pack of cokes in Barrow was $6.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Say fellas, did anybody got to the Palmer Gun show this spring?

Man I used to love going to that. I found a Weatherby in 300 Weatherby with a 3-9 Leopold and 8 boxes of Weatherby brass for three hundred bucks! Bought a Rem 700 in .375 H&H last year for $525.00 I think.

Posts: 9212 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He should try Granite View Sports in Delta. If he can't find something that suits him there it's just a short drive (100 Miles +/-) to Fairbanks.

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
..........338 Win Mag of 375 Ruger in a Ruger M77 Mk2 with a 2-7 -2-10 x scope that won,t fog or fail...........There are other great rifles. like tha 338 RUM stainless Plastic....The 340 Whby stainless Plastic stock......Avoid the under 8 mm calibers......A new guy ought to have every advantage in his rifle that he can and those medium bores work perfactly ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you purchase guns in or around Anchorage at places like Sportsman Warehouse or Boondocks you will probably find they cost less in Alaska due to the fact we do not have sales tax.
A 5-8% sales tax can easily eat up any cost savings the lower 48 may offer.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he makes it to Anchorage, he should also check out Mountain View Sports and Great Northern Guns. Mountain View Sports has better prices and will price match if you can find a lower price, GNG has an excellent selection and a great selection of used guns that changes weekly.

Posts: 192 | Location: Anchorage, Ak | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are lots of excellent gun shops in and around Anchorage and as others have said the inventory is constantly changing. You buddy may find a good second hand rifle all tricked out withs cope and all for less than a brand new out of the box rifle.

If your buddy is an experienced rifleman he might want to lean toward a 338. If not a plains Jane '06 with premium bullets will put the meat on the table.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
If he's close enough to Anchorage have him stop by Boondocks in Eagle River, they have some excellent prices on Remington rifles and they also carry some used rifles as well.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is hard no matter what calibres we favor to turn away from the .30-06. Recoil is easy and kills game just fine. Good for one who does not do alot of shooting and needs a meat gun.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i was in boondocks last fall and thought i had sticker shock from the prices of guns in there, especially the used guns. Eeker

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were alot of differences in prices posted above. Maybe another suggestion is to aquire a suitable rifle in the lwr 48 and have it shipped from a local dealer to one in Alaska close to his destination and pick it up for a minimal transfer fee. I just bought a CZ safari classics in 458lott for $869.99 with a walnut stock, crossbolts and bedding at a gandermountion store in houston last monday. R.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has something changed with transporting rifles through Canada?????...Since I'm planning on moving back to Alaska soon (after a 30 yr absense)I was thinking I'd have my handguns sent to a dealer there so I could pick them up on arrival but I planned on taking my rifles with me through Canada.That last post makes me think something's changed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ray m:
Has something changed with transporting rifles through Canada?????...Since I'm planning on moving back to Alaska soon (after a 30 yr absense)I was thinking I'd have my handguns sent to a dealer there so I could pick them up on arrival but I planned on taking my rifles with me through Canada.That last post makes me think something's changed.

Call the RCMP & get the latest scoop. Big Grin

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cold zero:
i was in boondocks last fall and thought i had sticker shock from the prices of guns in there, especially the used guns. Eeker

Please share! Who else is cheaper in or around Anchorage? I would love to find a way to spend less money.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
snowwolfe;

i am not saying that anyplace is cheaper or more expensive than boondocks.

compared to prices i am used to, i thought the place was expensive. so did the guide that took me in there who lives in montana.

no doubt, gun prices are expensive in ak. l.o.l.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I moved from Anchorage to Kalispell MT about 8 months ago. While the prices at the shops in Anchorage might be a slightly higher, my observation is that at the shows, like the Palmer show mentioned, there is better selection and lower prices than anything I have seen here.

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
dian,

Your reasoning is why I mentioned the Palmer Gun Show. One year I had decided I needed a 10ga Browning and went to the show looking. Shore enough I found one and paid the price I wanted to.

I think the gun shows are a great resource in Alaska and would recommend looking to them for your firearm purchase.

(This advertisement was not paid for or in any way supported by any gun show or affiliate.)

Posts: 9212 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually have a table at most of the local gun shows. Like anything else there are good and great deals. Knowing what you want and are willing to pay, then stick with it. I am not a dealer, I simply like to trade up or over to the next item that has my interest. Making money has nothing to do with my motivation for selling. My past performance has been to buy high and sell low. The best part is I have a place to sit all weekend and shoot the breeze with like minded folks.
Alaska Gun Collectors Association Show is April 21-22 2007, at the Alaska State Fair Grounds, Raven Hall.