THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Backpacker shoots, kills grizzly in Alaska park

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backpacker shoots, kills grizzly in Alaska park
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/201..._hiker_kills_grizzly

20 mins ago
ANCHORAGE, Alaska – A backpacker shot and killed a grizzly bear with his handgun in Alaska's Denali National Park, officials said.

A man and woman reported that they were hiking Friday evening when the bear emerged from trailside brush and charged the woman, park spokeswoman Kris Fister said in a statement.

The man fired nine rounds from his .45 caliber, semiautomatic pistol at the animal, which then stopped and walked into the brush.

The two reported the shooting to rangers, who restricted access to the Igloo Canyon area for fear that the bear was wounded and dangerous.

On Saturday, rangers found the dead bear about 100 feet from the shooting site.

Park officials are determining the justification for the shooting. It's legal to carry firearms in that area of the park but illegal to discharge them.

Rangers said it was the first known instance of a grizzly bear being shot by a visitor in the wilderness portion of Denali, formerly called Mount McKinley National Park.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
It's legal to carry firearms in that area of the park but illegal to discharge them.

Doesn't make sense.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is only recently you could carry in the National Park System. I suspect there will be a serious review of the shooting of the bear, I just hope it is objective. Some of the Park Rangers I have met are about as leftist as Obama.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
How do you not justify defending yourself with all means available?, I thought all the crazy rulemakers were with us over here!

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it is better to just keep things to yourself. These people will regret ever opening their mouth before it is all over. Besides that, who said you need a big powerful handgun as a back-up in griz country? Sounds like the ol 45 auto was enough to get the job done.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And that's what most people do in Alaska, keep their mouth shut. F&G people need to make the fines and too many fed people are anti-hunters nowadays. Actually, once you get outside of urban Ak, it's ones patriotic duty to shoot any bear that comes around your house a second time. We only have maybe 8 mies of road in our community and yet we have grizz walking the road, looking around for trouble. and generally being dangerous pests. Nearest state police, F&G people over 200 miles away and our road is only open 4-5 months a year; commonsense prevails not the world view of fed park people.

I have a friend who has been mauled twice, ya twice; man does he hate the bear and shoots every bear he sees whenever; and don't care what anybody thinks about it too. He has a habit of taking his shirt off, pulling his pants down, to show idiot greenies what their lovely bears can do, ha. He does have some good scars.

Wife and I originally from Crawford Co. pa. We had bears everywhere there but they ran off at the whiff of man. Here, some haven't ever seen a man and figure food. I've had 2 blk bear come in on me like a cat on a rabbit, front quarters down butt in air, ears going like nuts. That'll spook ya some when you don't have a gun on ya and have to rely on yelling them off. I never had that occur in Pennsylvania but probably saw as many blk bear there as I do here.

Had a farmer neighbor back east once shoot a sow with 2 cubs that were rolling big circles in his corn field; he never reported it either.

The Indians up here kinda don't shoot bear and they stroll through villages like they own the place. But once they break into a fish or meat cache, the Indians declare all out war and shoot all the local bear for a couple days; then forget about them for a couple years. They claim bear only eat White People, ha. I do know some Indians who get to stutterin when even talking about bear ha, for good reason & past experience.

Kinda funny, we had a Treadwell guy who only had 50 lbs of remains left of his girl and him; he just luved the bears; and yet those fed people will try crucifying somebody who saves themselves. My friend who was mauled told me the mistake he made was not shooting the bear quick enough, figuring the bear would break off and walk away. He doesn't do that anymore.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course its the frist known shooting in the park it just became legal in Feb to carry in NP's. If there were others they didn't tell about them.

Posts: 19441 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course its the frist known shooting in the park it just became legal in Feb to carry in NP's. If there were others they didn't tell about them.

First publicized, not first known. Most are not discussed publicly.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If this was in the ANILCA addition of Denali, firearms have allowed since the act created it (1980). No hunting allowed, except for local subsistence, but firearms were allowed.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
it just became legal in Feb to carry in NP's. .

Maybe in your nat. parks Wink

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Self defense is the inherent right of all free men. ANYWHERE.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
Let's just hope that this DLP incident doesn't cause the feds to change the new law about carrying in National Parks.

I am so looking forward to carrying unconcealed while guiding this summer in Katmai.

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have lived within 100 miles of Yellowstone NP for 20 years, and have no intention of darkening its door.. period. I put it in the same catigory as a business that posts "no concealed firearms".. they don't get a cent of my business.. I usually call the proprieter to the door and explain to him why.... they don't like it much.. Les

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Les Staley:
I have lived within 100 miles of Yellowstone NP for 20 years, and have no intention of darkening its door.. period. I put it in the same catigory as a business that posts "no concealed firearms".. they don't get a cent of my business.. I usually call the proprieter to the door and explain to him why.... they don't like it much.. Les

Bravo Les!

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I listened to Joe Nava the other day and someone called in and asked about this shooting. He said the report is not completed yet, but he was promised a copy. He did say the Attorney General is waiting on that report before deciding whether to bring charges.
It will come down to defense of life or wrongful shooting, just like anywhere else, the differnce is this was in a NP.

Posts: 442 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Brainard
posted Hide Post
In all Alaskan Parks that were created or expanded by ANILCA it has been legal to carry and hunt in the preserve portion of the Park. That is probably where they were. Jim

Jim

Posts: 90 | Location: Petersburg, Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote