THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Katmai Moraine Concession and other Brownie Hunts

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Katmai Moraine Concession and other Brownie Hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted
What can you guys tell me about the Katmai National Preserve’s Moraine Concession for Brown Bear? I believe that True North Adventures now has the rights to it. Has anyone hunted with them? Seems like it is one of the better Brown Bear areas in AK... Is this valid? Is there a cosistently better area? Any info appreciated.

Edit: Added more info about the type of hunt I am looking for at the bottom.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I've worked with Jim since he first aquired the Katmai area. I've guided bear hunts in most of southern AK and I've not seen anything better

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
AKshooter,

What was the average size BB taken last year? Does True North have a hunting website? Wjen I go to alaskakatmaihunting.com it automatically goes to their fishing site.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Jim's web sight is being updated. The spring 06 season yealded smaller than normal bears due to unseasonal cold weather. They averaged just under 9 foot. During the fall of 05 we took three bears over 10 feet the rest I would say averaged around 9 foot.
If you have more questions you can pm me or contact Jim @ (907) 486-5188

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bulldog
No search for Big Bear would be complete without a call to Bob Cusack 206-232-3278. www.cusackalaska.com
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
So I have continued researching BB opportunities...

Like the looks of;

True North Adventures
Phil Shoemaker
Bob Cusack

Anyone have experience with or know the reputation of any of the following(websites and/or contact info would be helpful as well);

Kelly Vrem
Dan Montgomery

Some more info about the hunt I am looking for. Would be two hunters. Looking for outfitter who takes very large, mature boars with good long term success rate. Comfortable lodgings a plus but do not want to sacrifice trophy quality and/or success for comfort. Hunt would be for 2008(if we are lucky enough to find an opening/cancellation) or 2010(going to Tanzania in 2009 but may be able to squeeze this hunt in). Year not very important, just looking for the right hunt, but if we did find the right hunt in 2008 that would be great. Good Rainbow fly fishing in the area and shortish shot distances(would like to use my double rifle if possible) also a plus but by no means a deal breaker.

Anyone else I should look at(top bear guides/outfitters/areas)? What are the main differences between fall/spring hunts? Have had a couple people tell me that Fall is the way to go. Thoughts?

Any other help appreciated. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
You should also check out Brent Jones at AAA Alaskan Outfitters, he's been known to take some huge brown bears. All of the guides you have named are all very reputable and I don't see how you can go wrong with any of them. Good luck in your search.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip,

Anyone have experience with John Peterson and/or Deltana Outfitters

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Nevermind about Deltana. They are off the list.