THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    success of spring black bear hunts?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

success of spring black bear hunts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
my hunting partner returned from a june 1st five day hunt in GMU 3 & reported he & guide saw a few bears first day, then zip rest of hunt. was there an early spring in 2005, did the rut start early this year? the 2 hunters & 2 guides hunted the shore areas & nearby grass flats. did anybody do better in area 3? thanks..chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a little later than I would have planned, but they should still have seen bears. Was the guide knowledgeable?

I was fishing there in late April and the blackies were starting to show...by mid-May, they were out in numbers.

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
DavidAK, do you know a good place in the south of Alaska, and a guide who books Black Bear over bait? I like to hunt with my S/S double rifles for bear over bait. I've done pleanty of it in Canada but have thought I would like an early bait hunt in Alaska. I'm getting old, and it is getting increasingly difficult for me to climb, for spot & stalk, besides that isn't the best hunting for useing double rifles. I'm retired so can come at any time of year that would be productive for bait hunting.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know many guides down there, and haven't heard much about any that hunt over bait.

To tell the truth, it's so easy to find spring bears on the beaches, I'd have a hard time getting excited over stand hunting.

I can relate to your issues with climbing, etc....but I'd be willing to bet you'd not find it difficult to spot and stalk a blackie with your double.

If you would like to try the bait stand, i'm sure a number of guides would accomodate you.

I'm sending you a PM.

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MacD37/ most hunting is done from boats, taking smaller akiffs to glass shorelines & grass flats. try e;o ;ucas out of petersburg, ak http://www.alaskahunts@hotmail.com. he trained under dale adams, a great brwonie/blackie guide. the hunters i was talking about hunted with master guide brad dennison, who hunts brwonies thru end of may, then turns his attention to black bear for the next 10 days. my partner & i had great hunts with brad in 2002 on chicagof island in may. we will return for blacks 1st week june 2007.

quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
DavidAK, do you know a good place in the south of Alaska, and a guide who books Black Bear over bait? I like to hunt with my S/S double rifles for bear over bait. I've done pleanty of it in Canada but have thought I would like an early bait hunt in Alaska. I'm getting old, and it is getting increasingly difficult for me to climb, for spot & stalk, besides that isn't the best hunting for useing double rifles. I'm retired so can come at any time of year that would be productive for bait hunting.

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote