New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slim Moore at Summit Lake
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone remember seeing an article in an old issue of one of the hunting magazines like Sports Afield, Outdoor Life or Field and Stream on Slim Moore an Alaskan Guide? I recall seeing one for sale on e-bay or Amazon.com and didn't get a chance to buy it, now I can't find the link UGH!. He was an old time guide down around Summit Lake on the Richardson. His area was taken over by Joseph(Dave)Lani (now lives in Fairbanks), who I beleive has been retired for some time now. I would very much like to find a copy of it, I hunted and fished there for many years when I first came to Alaska in '75.
Thanks, John

Posts: 116 | Location: Juneau, Alaska, U.S.A. | Registered: 25 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your talking About Summit Lake above Paxon?I hunt there all the time.There is a Summit Lake on the Kenai also .Russel Annabel went by both of the guiding also.Its pretty slim hunting there now for moose.Unit 13 moose have about disapeared around there.There are still the caribou there.I will ask a friend about Slim Moore.Where did he live?

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dgr416, Yes Summit lake above Paxon on the Richardson. Slim had the roadhouse at Summit there before Lani had it. I used to have a cabin at mile 206 by Rainbow Mt. I got it from a fella in Anchorage, Russ Putnam back in the late 70's. It's been burned down now for a few years, it fell into disrepair after I moved to JNU in 87' and BLM cleaned it up. We could never get title to the site so basicaly just used it, no locks on the door and hosted folks from around the world. Hunted Moose there as well as Griz and Sheep when we could get a permit. Yes lots of bou too.

Thanks for checking

John

Posts: 116 | Location: Juneau, Alaska, U.S.A. | Registered: 25 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Moose hunting there has gone to pot.The F&G says its wolves and bears on the calves.I use to see alot of moose there 5 years ago now there is hardly a track.I almost quit moose hunting there and now hunt the Granite Mts.I saw 145 moose there this year in two weeks and nothing legal.The four wheelers now ride over the top of the mountains.It almost inpossible to find legal 4 browtine 50" moose.The only 4 brow tine moose I saw were 34"-45 inches.They killed off the largest moose and now the smaller ones breed.It really messed up the genetics removing the largest bulls from the gene pool.The caribou managed mostly by the BLM have small antlers mostly.I have seen very few large bulls.There are still sheep around Rainbow Mountain but only about 2 or 3 a year got shot around there.The Delta management area for sheep is awesome but its hard as heck to get a permit.There are a ton of cabins around Summit lake.I hunt more around Tangle Lakes in walk in area so its not 4 wheeler city.I have asked three old timers in Delta about Slim Moore no results yet.I know someone had to know him.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote