New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear attack
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A can of pepper spray might have made a difference in the outcome. I advise everyone to carry some. It works--most of the time. Better than nothing anyway.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Or a decent caliber hand gun.

Posts: 19604 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Exactly or both pepper spray and a handgun. Better a handgun than a rifle leaning against a tree while you're fishing (ask me how I know that). Better a 45 ACP with you then a 454 Casull you left home because it was too heavy.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4777 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Twice I've had blk bear put the sneak on me, front quarters down, butt high in air, ears going back and forth; was able to hollar and wave off the one (came back in three times too then strolled off into the woods) and shot the bear second time it happened.

I've seen lots of bear along salmon streams, they don't seem to be much of a problem to me, other things on their mind.

I have some bear hitting my barrel last week or so; I've emptied the fridge feedin them buggers and all I do is make pop corn every morning it seems. I set out trophy cam yesterday, wait and see what I got; probably sow with three half starved cubs, ha ha.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's another mama rescuing her cub

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...dered-edge-road.html

Posts: 31 | Location: west coast of michigan | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Or a decent caliber hand gun.

You and the pepper spray guy are making the assumption there was time to react. If Mama bear had time to think it over, she might just have headed for the bush.Sounds like a case of, Holy shit, I'd better do something, so she did. Smiler

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Bears are unpredictable, but without any basis, I felt pretty comfortable (maybe I was just tired or stupid) camping on Upper Togiak Lake in the fall with bears right outside our little tent every night. The lake was teeming with salmon, when we landed there were so many salmon in the lake it looked like the lake bed was made of rubies. In the spring, when the bears are very hungry and cranky, and there isn't as much food around there is no way I would've stayed in that tent. Once again, not based on knowledge just a feeling. I'd love to hear what folks who have lots of real world experience have to say.

Our camp and our "bear proof tent" and my awesome guide Jason

The raft is roughly 30 feet from the tent and there were bears belly flopping in the lake fishing right by it every night.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4777 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked about bear spray and the old time guide I had joked "bears prefer salt on their food". His objection was the wind, which is almost always blowing in Alaska. What do you do when the wind is in your face? I guess it is better than nothing but I prefer a firearm.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Another option for those worried about wind is the Kimber Pepper Blaster. It is a primer fired blast that works in the wind. I often carry one when fishing and my wife and daughter carry them even in town when there might be aggressive dogs.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote