Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

my first alaskan hunt
 Login/Join

posted
Well this past friday I went out Caribu hunting with my friend and his son. We had a permit for the 40 mile herd.

I was just along for the adventure Smiler I let my friend use my rifle to shoot his caribu, I was curious as to how well my .338 win mag performed. It was loaded with 225 gr remington corelokt factory rounds.

I was completely blown away on the performance, so was my friend. the shot was 245 yards. Bullet entered on the right side just behind the front leg and exited same spot on the left side. (nice broad side shot) entrance hole i could stick my finger in and the exit hole i could drop a pop can in.

The animal reacted like it was hit with a semi. It was thrown sideways and bounced once and rolled over in 3 feet of snow. The only movement from the animal after the trigger was pulled was due to the force of the impact. I have never seen an animal dropped so hard in all my years of hunting.

conclusion, I need a smaller gun for next years caribu hunt Smiler

Posts: 8 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At least you're partly broken in to Alaskan hunting. Yup! I think a .338 is way too much for caribou/sheep size animals. My preferred caliber for those animals is my .270 Win. If you're thinking of getting another rifle for those animals, I think you'd be better off with a smaller caliber in .270 or .30-06.
When you go for larger animals with the .338 I'd recommend you use a premium bullet as well.
Just my opinions. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
Well done!

Waidmannsheil!

What about some pics?

Rino

Posts: 249 | Location: Oevre Eiker, Norway / Winterton RSA | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote