New
Find
Notify
Tools

2003 Moose Results
 Login/Join

<Lars G>
posted
Just so we start off this forum right. I did not draw a moose permit or even plan on going, but 4 of my buddies who went have all scored so far this year. 1 went out of Dillingham (no permit area) and shot a 60" bull. He said he saw a 70"er the first day, but could not shoot as he had flown in that same day.

Another co-worker just scored in Berners Bay down here near Juneau. 10 a.m. on the first friggin day.

2 other co-worker drew a party tag in the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge on their first try (7% odds!) I will post pics of their moose - 53" and 55". I did load some 338 Win/250 gr parition load for the guy with the goatee. This was the first moose hunt for either of these guys. They packed two moose out 3.5 miles from the lake - 7 trips each. One guy lost 15 lbs! Said his smallest pant fit him again. As he put it: "I left my ass on the mountain." [they were 1000 ft above the lake.] I kept tyrin' to tell 'em - no more than 1/2 mile of packing. Guess what? They are ready to do it again!!!

-

one of us
posted Hide Post
im impressed, a 70+ in moose and he didnt shoot it, I know alot of guys who'd have shot it and lied, and I gotta admit that would have been 1 hell of a bull to see.

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice moose!!!!! I shot my first this year, a 54" in the Wrangells, not the biggest but a great trophy for me. I gained more admiration for the moose as a game animal, they are a symbol of the Northern wild country

Craig

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I killed a smaller moose on the 4th. day of the season. The antlers measured somewhere around 44" (placed my rifle across the antlers to measure).

I shot it from 200 yards away as I stood on a rocky knob near the trail. It dropped to a 250-grain A-Frame from my .338WM. I rode my ATV 150 yards to the moose. My hunting partners helped with their ATV's, so it was one trip in and out, with all the meat loaded in my meat trailer and ATV racks.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
2001 drop hunt in Brooks Range on the $&%#^$&$#
river.Not a huge moose but for a DIY hunt I was
happy.We chased a good bull trying to get my wife
a shot but he was smarter and knew the area better
than I did.
 -

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lars: Well, everybody has to learn once but it should only be once. [Wink] Geez, these guys must be gluttons for punishment. Do ya think they'd be willing to go with me next year & haul mine out? Basically, if I can't shoot mine so he falls into the boat, I'm not interested. Guess my mind is stronger than my back. Better luck to ya next year. Right now, I'm off to Kodiak then to Afognak for our any sex elk hunt (the 2nd season)that begins this Wed. If we get something, hope we can keep it from the bears. Later, Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I could only spend 5 days on the Porcupine above Ft Yukon. Access was easy enough with my boat but we called/scraped and only saw cows/calves/black bears. We did call in one cow to the campfire. There was plenty of bull sign but it seemed to be mostly nocturnal. The time frame was Sept. 14-18. At the time, we heard from several others that were only seeing cows/calves. A few local guys got bulls but they were cruising the river constantly making lots of noise and burning gas. Most of those guys didn't get anything.

You might be surprised at how few moose we have. Locals blame it on wolves/bears but there are a lot of cows shot around here.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Passed on a 40" bull called in to 18yds the first hour of the first morning of hunt on the north slope of the Alaska Range and didn't see another moose for 5 days. Called in another 30" to about 50yds and let him walk too. Great hunt, though, had 8" of snow and sub-zero temps two nights.

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote