New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great AK Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
From the start this trip was smooth. Our bags and firearms made it to Anc with us. After a nites rest we boarded the bus to Tok, then Noerthway. Hitched a ride to the airstrip and in a couple hours we were picked up by Terry Overly as promised.
After a hearty breakfast at the lodge, we did the necessary paper work and had our sheep and bear tags. Then off to the range where we both shot well under moa at 300 yds.
Horese being packed and saddled at the corral.

Was a six hour ride into out camp. Had a cook tent and a tent each for guides and hunters. Spotted sheep the first morning from camp. Did the climb and found six rams bedded. One of the rams was very interesting, but was facing us and we could not tell if he had a full curl. Had to wait them out, then experienced a white out, when it cleared they had moved off. We made a move and tried to catch them on the backside of the ridge. Never saw them again. Spent the rest of the day glassing, spotted over 40 sheep.
Second day rode out west of camp for a couple hours. From a vantage point spent the day glassing for bear. Saw more sheep.
Should add I've ridden in the Rockies hunting elk. This was bog country for the most part, much of the time was spent on wet spongy ground and steep slopes. Also rode the creek and river beds, amazing the way their horses could pic their way through the rocks. After climbing down into one creek bed on foot, then trying to coax my horse down over the rocks behind me, she try to jump it. Didn't make it and crashed next to me, thought for sure she would be injured. Up and away no problem, tough animals.
Third day spotted sheep on the ride to the mountain, looked promising. Up top again could not put a full curl on any of them. Crossed over a shallow basin and made our way out a ridge on the backside. Before too far we spotted four rams below us. After studying them for close to a hour, my guide said the biggest one was legal and gave me permission to take the shot. Soon I had my first Dall sheep.

A happy and tired sheep hunter, the ram came down the chute behind us. With me is Levi, our camp helper and soon to be guide.
Spent the rest of the hunt lookin' for bear and moose. Saw a couple cows and a calf, no bear. A few caribou with a couple hugh bulls.
My partner continued to hunt sheep without success made a great 400 yd shot on a wolf.
Spent our last couple days in AK at the lodge waiting for the flight home. One other ram was brought in that hunt.
Our flight home went without a hitch. Bags and firearms arrived with us and most important--my horns and cape.
A thourghly great AK experience, with some really great people!!!!

NRA Life Member since 1976
philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270
Visa/MC accepted , plus 3%
We have to save the Earth, only planet with beer!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good narrative.
And, kudos on the sheep kill!!!!
Thanks for the post.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad your trip went better for you this time. I haven't met the Overlys but they have a great reputation on sheep. Can you post larger photos or I can help?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was surprised the pics were so small, Yes by all means enlarge them if you like.
Thanks, Phil

philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270

Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent a PM to you with my email address. You will need to email me the original photos so I can enlarge them. If I enlarge the ones you have posted it will not look right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Posted for Phil.

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
congratulations phil

looks like an adventure for sure, thanks for the write up and pics.

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice ram! Your camp site looks like a five star lodge. That's one of the nicer looking ones I've seen. Again, congrats on a successful hunt.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the nice ram. How old was it? I'm trying to count the rings but can't make them out too well in the bottom pic?
I saw one that was very close to full curl on my hunt. We watched it for over an hour as is stood on a ledge about 400 yds away. Nice sunny day and that sheep stood there looking out over the valley liked he owned the world. I'll see if I can download some video. . . didn't have my camera with me (pretty stupid).

Posts: 83 | Location: MT | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Congrats on the nice ram. How old was it? I'm trying to count the rings but can't make them out too well in the bottom pic?
I saw one that was very close to full curl on my hunt. We watched it for over an hour as is stood on a ledge about 400 yds away. Nice sunny day and that sheep stood there looking out over the valley liked he owned the world. I'll see if I can download some video. . . didn't have my camera with me (pretty stupid)."

My ram is eight years. Ya get the wrong angle and its very difficult to judge em. I take more video than stills always regret it later on.
Thanks
Phil

philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270

Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Philny1,

Congrats on the hunt. Overly has some of the BEST horses anywwhere around. Incredible country too! I grew up in Northway and now live in Tok. Been out in Overly's country a bit. They can cover alot of country and see a lot of animals. Glad you enjoyed your hunt!

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joel and you had a grate Hunt but if you tell what you paid for the hunt people will die. You stold this hunt.

Posts: 1457 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote