THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Moving to Alaska!! US ARMY transfer

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving to Alaska!! US ARMY transfer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife has been in the Army for 21 years and we FINALLY got our orders for Alaska. We should be reporting there in April-May 08. I am trying to decide what to bring up there for firearms and toys. I have an old 30-06 and a couple of shotgus I will be bring and also I got very lucky while we were in Germany and picked up a Kreighof 9.3x74R DR that I will be bringing. Also, any need for varmit type rifle? All I have in that aspect is an AR-15.
The question I have isin refernce to toys. I have a 1988 Honda 4-wheeler and also a 1999 Argo 8-wheeler. I am wondering which of thes would be the most useful up there for hunting. The Argo sure isn't a joy ridding machine but its a good workhorse. whereas the 4-wheeler is fun to ride. Are there lots of ares where these can be used? Which of the two would be best for there.
Oh, we will be stationed at Elmendorf.

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you got orders you wanted. (I tried to get AF orders here for 14 years and ended up moving up myself after I got out....)

The primary challenge for hunting here is access to places to hunt. The road system is very limited, and spaces are huge. Whichever one of these vehicles will transport you and at least a buddy and gear more reliably would be my choice. Where you are going and what you want to hunt makes a huge difference as well.

Good luck with your move,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your transfer. Some guys try forever and can't get that done while others get transferred much to their dismay. Eeker

There is a place for both of your machines if that's what you want or sell them both and buy one machine. I would consider doing that to get a newer piece of gear.

The AR will work well for coyotes, wolves, etc. Lots of people up here use ARs for that.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
So long as you don't have to pay shipping, I'd say bring all your toys. As mentioned, the key to hunting AK is access, and that means well off the few roads we have. The argo gives you the advantage to accessing areas 4-wheelers can't, and that's a huge plus.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the response.
I guess I should mention that I have my pilots license and fly tailwheel also so getting off the beaten path may have to be done via airplane. From the pilots I know up there that is the best way to find an area not over run with hunters.

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
You might be suprised how even areas plain accessible see a fair bit of hunting traffic. There is suprisingly little game in Alaska, considering how large the state is. Finding good game populations is the real key to hunting AK, and then getting to those areas.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote