Find
Notify
Tools

Monster dall sheep shot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
See the photos and read about it here:
http://forums.outdoorsdirector...5995-48-Inch-Ram-!-!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Too bad I can't get at the picture(s)without creating and ID and logging in.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Hard park subsistence hunt, it'll never go in the books...

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It could go into the books if they wanted to put it in. I don't believe there is anything against entering it unless B&C changed their rules.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Book or not it is a world class animal. Refreshing to see there are still animals like it alive and living in unfenced area's.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One one of you technical types please make these pictures viewable to the rest of us ?
Thanks

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
What an animal! Am I the only one here who thinks the subsistence hunts are GROSSLY abused! They destroy the trophy from subsistence moose hunts in some areas. I think they should destroy all trophy value from subsistence animals including this ram. No one should be allowed to keep it. If it's truely about subsistence then what does it matter if the trophy is destroyed. Destroying the trophy would discourage people from using subsistence hunts as a trophy hunt in disguise. The teir 2 hunts seem more like a back up plan in case you don't draw anything in the regular draw than a way for needy people to feed themselves. Am I missing something or is this as grossly abused as I think? I actually had someone ask me if I was putting in for any teir 2 tags??????? Really?????? I'm far from rich, but I also have never in my life had to worry about where the next meal was coming from or where I would lay my head. Again am I missing something?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
subsistance hunts trophy value should be destroyed..they do it for moose and muskox in some places but thats a state reg not a fed reg.
not sure if i feel ok that "subsistance" sheep guys are shoppin' for monster rams...not that 12" bases is monster....but the length..ohhh man.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Heck of an animal...

Posts: 59 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 08 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw one bigger than that up in the dream
Mountains the other Night, I think i will go back there tonight an get him,LOL....
What a ram, what park was he taken at more info
Pleeeeeese.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot damn. Unreal. Makes me wish I was back there to chase them again!

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
What an animal! Am I the only one here who thinks the subsistence hunts are GROSSLY abused! They destroy the trophy from subsistence moose hunts in some areas. I think they should destroy all trophy value from subsistence animals including this ram. No one should be allowed to keep it. If it's truely about subsistence then what does it matter if the trophy is destroyed. Destroying the trophy would discourage people from using subsistence hunts as a trophy hunt in disguise. The teir 2 hunts seem more like a back up plan in case you don't draw anything in the regular draw than a way for needy people to feed themselves. Am I missing something or is this as grossly abused as I think? I actually had someone ask me if I was putting in for any teir 2 tags??????? Really?????? I'm far from rich, but I also have never in my life had to worry about where the next meal was coming from or where I would lay my head. Again am I missing something?

Brett

Missing something? I'd say you're missing it all.

What really does it matter what happens with the trophy? If the hunter is a local or rural resident, utilizes all edible meat and hangs the big ass rack or horns on the wall what really is the problem? Advocating the destruction of the trophy value only highlights the petty jealousy of non eligible hunters.

I sporadically use rural subsistence tags and this year have two in my pocket as I type. I have an any bull tag for moose and a swan tag that allows for the taking of three swans this fall. I intend to do exactly as I wrote above. I'll take as big a bull as I can find, utilize all edible meat and add the, (hopefully,) big ass rack to the other big ass racks I have hung in my home and shop. Thats wrong? Really? You'll have to explain why a little better.

Residents of Montana have better chances at drawing valuable tags than non residents do. Residents of Arizona have far better odds of drawing coveted tags than non residents do. Rural Alaska or Dillingham residents have tag opportunities that urban Alaskans do not.

You said, "If its truely about subsistence then what does it matter if the trophy is destroyed." I'd ask if it is truely about susbsistence then what does it matter what the subsistence hunter does with the trophy? Is getting your name in a record book ahead of others really that important?

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Residents of Montana have better chances at drawing valuable tags than non residents do. Residents of Arizona have far better odds of drawing coveted tags than non residents do. Rural Alaska or Dillingham residents have tag opportunities that urban Alaskans do not

Scott, your use of other states is truly apples and oranges. If I understand, subsistance means just that and not trophy hunting. People (some) will always drift to the lowest common denominator. It can only encourage further misuse of a dwindling resource.

It's not unlike our Arizona and many other states giving muzzleloaders an advantageous season for primative weapons. The misuse is (in my opinion) "muzzleloaders" using rear loaded primers and scopes that no longer are disadvantaged.

And Arizona's tag situation......don't even get me goin on that one.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3557 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
quote:
Residents of Montana have better chances at drawing valuable tags than non residents do. Residents of Arizona have far better odds of drawing coveted tags than non residents do. Rural Alaska or Dillingham residents have tag opportunities that urban Alaskans do not

Scott, your use of other states is truly apples and oranges. If I understand, subsistance means just that and not trophy hunting. People (some) will always drift to the lowest common denominator. It can only encourage further misuse of a dwindling resource.

It's not unlike our Arizona and many other states giving muzzleloaders an advantageous season for primative weapons. The misuse is (in my opinion) "muzzleloaders" using rear loaded primers and scopes that no longer are disadvantaged.

And Arizona's tag situation......don't even get me goin on that one.

Steve

Steve,

Fellers like myself are given a "Rural Priority". For example, I was allowed to hunt waterfowl this spring with literally no limit on the take. I was in this case required to not utilize any part of the waterfowl taken for taxidermy, or for the purposes of this conversation trophies. Brett on the other hand I am under the impression lives in urban AK and is offered no such subsistence opportunity. What really would it matter if I would have utilized the game for taxidermy having salvaged all edible meat? If the meat is rendered table fare why should the skin or trophy not be preserved? Again, Is it simply jealosy? Were I to use my subsistance permit to take a record book bull moose would my limited entry tag really take away from the quality of the animal? I have taken record book game both here and in Africa, none of it is recorded, but If I chose to do so and said trophy was taken with a subsistence permit would it be considered "Fair" by urbanites such as yourself if the animal and location only was recorded and not the hunters name?

As an aside theres no way I could skin a duck well enough to save the meat and taxiderm the hide so who cares. All the waterfowl I took this spring went into the freezer as a skinned or plucked or breasted carcass including the eurasian widgeon and very pretty speck's. Its about 2/3'rds gone now but duck season opened up today so yippee!

I believe my use of other states is broadly accurate. Residents are given a priority. In my case, I a Bristol Bay resident am given a Bristol Bay residential priority over Brett. You too.

I couldn't speak to a dwindling resource as you say as it applies to sheep, but in Unit 17, both brown bears and moose are on the increase as a population so there is no misuse. Were I to find myself lucky enough to take a 72" bull this weekend or next week with my subsistence permit that kill will only free up several previously spoken for cow moose for the next lucky bull to come along. Misuse? I think that next bull will probably put me on his Christmas card list. The 72"'er will make my Christmas card. Perhaps I'll bring the Daddy-come-lately one.

Interesting to note that some have concluded perhaps in accurately that the sheep hunter in question had intentions other than filling the freezer. Would this forum for a minute think it at least possible that the aforementioned subsistence hunter set off that morning with the intention of killing a Dall Sheep soley for the pleasure of eating Dall Sheep and as is the case in most trophies simply stumbled on this one? Has it been established that this ram is going to be recorded in the books?

Nice sheep. Great sheep! I'm glad the hunter was willing to do what it takes, up to and including living in an area that retains that kind of opportunity to successfully take such a fine specimen.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
I know here in Alberta, I would love to see the govt. destroy "certain" trophies.

You see, the natives here arent too much into hunting the giant, Whitetail, Mule Deer & Elk (but they slaughter them too) that are prduced in Alberta, what they are into is deccimating the World Class Bighorn sheep we have.

In one of the better known area of Alberta for the truly giant sheep, there is an Indian reserve close by, they wait until the snows push the rams out of the high country, then sit & wait for the blood sport.

We are talking 190-205"+ rams here.....I'd love to see the govt confiscate those horns, the natives I dont think would ever shoot another sheep.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
considered "Fair" by urbanites such as yourself

Wow! well said by an obvious woodsy bushman like you to a soft city boy like me.

So I assume you then would propose that want n waste rule that the trophy be removed last is nothing but an inconvenience?

Further: Arizona had to protect residents like me from outsiders like you putting in for the draw in units for desert bighorn having only 1 read (1) tag!!!! Non residents cannot draw a tag in one of those units. 10% of the overall is set aside for invaders such as yourself.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3557 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

Isn't the point more what is "subsistence use" and what is in effect a "local resident" not even out of state tag?

Maybe when I'm in Dillingham we could discuss this further, but as I see it as an outsider...

Alaska has moneys sent in to its local residents to remedy in some extent the cost of living, as such you are not paying the tax burden to care for your local wildlife as much as most folks who hunt in their own state in the lower 48. My understanding is that a large part of the justification for local preference is to pay the locals back for the fact they are paying tax moneys to support the local big game.

Secondly, if you are truly concerned about subsistence, there would maybe be 1-2 people in the state who would qualify for a subsistence hunt for sheep. I'm not a mountain person, but even I know that its a hell of a lot easier to shoot a winter's worth of moose/caribou/duck or whatever than climbing around in a mountain looking for a 200# max sheep. If you are concerned about eating to live, you shoot what is easiest for you to live on. If its becoming what you want, as opposed to need, how are you any different than the typical deer hunter in the upper midwest?

I am a little surprised that you guys can get special dispensation for waterfowl... Its supposedly a federal resource, as its migratory and they play all kinds of games down here not even allowing a state like Minnesota that has a variable climate and you never know when the birds are going to migrate the same 60 day season that Louisianna has for duck.

It seems that a fair number of the folks who hunt for subsistence up there use it as a chance to do something they want to do, and that they would survive just fine without it (if a bit more expensive to eat meat, if you don't have a friend giving you meat.)

The fact that you have a much lower population density and a much more bush lifestyle is, in my estimation, a large part why folks prefer to live in Alaska, so if someone made a choice to live there, does that justify why they get to utilize a resource that others would also like to use, but through their circumstance are unable to live there?

I would think that in a "perfect world" everyone who wanted to hunt could, and economically, but I know the world isn't perfect, and that the people who live there make the rules- but it doesn't seem to explain why guys who live in state are treated differently. I think if you look closely at this situation, you will see the issues that makes the whole practice somewhat hypocritical, albeit fully legal.

You are right, I wish I could go out my back door and hunt like you guys do. If I could shoot for subsistence, I would (not that I would NEED to). But I cannot justify moving to Alaska in my current situation just to do so, so I pay a Alaskan Outfitter and just enjoy myself as I'm sure the guy who shot that beautiful ram did.

Posts: 11030 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Scott,

Isn't the point more what is "subsistence use" and what is in effect a "local resident" not even out of state tag?

Maybe when I'm in Dillingham we could discuss this further, but as I see it as an outsider...

Alaska has moneys sent in to its local residents to remedy in some extent the cost of living, as such you are not paying the tax burden to care for your local wildlife as much as most folks who hunt in their own state in the lower 48. My understanding is that a large part of the justification for local preference is to pay the locals back for the fact they are paying tax moneys to support the local big game.

Secondly, if you are truly concerned about subsistence, there would maybe be 1-2 people in the state who would qualify for a subsistence hunt for sheep. I'm not a mountain person, but even I know that its a hell of a lot easier to shoot a winter's worth of moose/caribou/duck or whatever than climbing around in a mountain looking for a 200# max sheep. If you are concerned about eating to live, you shoot what is easiest for you to live on. If its becoming what you want, as opposed to need, how are you any different than the typical deer hunter in the upper midwest?

I am a little surprised that you guys can get special dispensation for waterfowl... Its supposedly a federal resource, as its migratory and they play all kinds of games down here not even allowing a state like Minnesota that has a variable climate and you never know when the birds are going to migrate the same 60 day season that Louisianna has for duck.

It seems that a fair number of the folks who hunt for subsistence up there use it as a chance to do something they want to do, and that they would survive just fine without it (if a bit more expensive to eat meat, if you don't have a friend giving you meat.)

The fact that you have a much lower population density and a much more bush lifestyle is, in my estimation, a large part why folks prefer to live in Alaska, so if someone made a choice to live there, does that justify why they get to utilize a resource that others would also like to use, but through their circumstance are unable to live there?

I would think that in a "perfect world" everyone who wanted to hunt could, and economically, but I know the world isn't perfect, and that the people who live there make the rules- but it doesn't seem to explain why guys who live in state are treated differently. I think if you look closely at this situation, you will see the issues that makes the whole practice somewhat hypocritical, albeit fully legal.

You are right, I wish I could go out my back door and hunt like you guys do. If I could shoot for subsistence, I would (not that I would NEED to). But I cannot justify moving to Alaska in my current situation just to do so, so I pay a Alaskan Outfitter and just enjoy myself as I'm sure the guy who shot that beautiful ram did.

Very well stated,
Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
considered "Fair" by urbanites such as yourself

Wow! well said by an obvious woodsy bushman like you to a soft city boy like me.

So I assume you then would propose that want n waste rule that the trophy be removed last is nothing but an inconvenience?

Further: Arizona had to protect residents like me from outsiders like you putting in for the draw in units for desert bighorn having only 1 read (1) tag!!!! Non residents cannot draw a tag in one of those units. 10% of the overall is set aside for invaders such as yourself.

Steve

The rule requiring the removal of the horns or antlers last from the field is specifically aimed at trophy hunters and has nothing to do with subsistence. It actually is common for susbsistence hunters to leave things like antlers in the field as they cannot be eaten. Not me, not ever. I have not met a local outdoorsman that has any problem with the remove the antlers last rule. It is not aimed at us, it doesn't matter to us. A bull moose for me requires 7 pack trips. Four legs, the neck, the ribs and the antlers. I've never had a problem with it, I've never failed to haul all mentioned and in that order.

I believe you very squarely made my point when you mention Arizona having to protect residents like yourself from invaders like myself. Alaska has had to protect residents like myself from invaders like yourself, (although we don't see you all in that light,) by allowing for local subsistence tags or harvest. Those of us without the local Walmart are given an advantage over you "Invaders," as you say that have access to a Walmart. In the last 6 months My wife and I have collected over 60 waterfowl, 30 or 40 salmon, and hopefully this month a moose. Any bear I take will of course be for trophy only, no meat will be retained. If you think otherwise about the bear you obviously are a, "soft city boy," as you say. This subsistence harvest as I have explained above allows me to utilize locally available protein that otherwise would be out of my budget if I had to pay for it commercially. Maybe not out of my ability to pay, but I'm certainly not going to pay as much as $20.00 per pound for salmon out of Fred Meyer in Anchorage if it is unavailable here in DLG.

I still find myself unable to grasp the reasoning behind opposing the trophy recording or possession of said trophy as taken in a susbsistence hunt other than jealousy. A subsistence hunt is a "Limited Entry Hunt" by description and therefore is a parallel between say Oregons resident only bighorn sheep hunts. Look it up, they have them. In my case residents are given a tag priority, a hunting priority over the non residents that live in Arizona or Anchorage. Steve has made an obvious comparison with his non resident desert bighorn analogy.

Say Steve, did the Dall you hunted on the Kongekut for what something more or less than $15k look anything like this?

By the by the grizzly you didn't get on the Kongekut looks like this.

If the first picture of a sheep was fuzzy heres a different one.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Scott,

Butler,

As I mentioned earlier and as Steve saw with his own eyes in Kaktovik, we rural residents literally do not have the same resources available to those of you residents of Arizona, urban Alaska or Minnesota. Yes I absolutely could and perhaps mose residents of rural Alaska could actually buy all their groceries and have them freighted in but why? The salmon and waterfowl and moose and sheep are right here looking at us and according to The Alaska Department of Fish and Game and the USFWS in adequate abundance to support a local harvest. Don't believe me? Look up for yourself the susbsistence hunts or fisheries closed due to low population counts.

Your suprise regarding the subsistence waterfowl hunt is due to not knowing any better. Yes the waterfowl are a federally managed migratory species and yes the subsistence hunt is managed by the USFWS. Look it up. Subsistence walrus hunts, polar bear hunts, seal hunts, whale hunts, all managed by the USFWS.

As to a tax burden to support wildlife management, This year I bought a more than $50.00 Hunting/ Fishing/ Trapping license, a $25.00 brown bear tag, What? more or less $15.00 ea for a state and federal duck stamp? and I pay the same tax on hunting gear and ammo that you do. Steve however paid something like more than $500.00 for his hunting license and bear tag, maybe more than $500.00 for his sheep tag? I'm not sure. Non residents pay a hefty fee to hunt here and are a significant source of revenue for the Fish and Game.

Butler if you were here or had any experience here you'd know that because out here we just simply don't have the same opportunites as you do we are allowed to take advantage of other opportunities.

As an aside, there are not usually good moose numbers in sheep country or vis versa as sheep live on the mtn top and moose down in the valley. If you live on the rural mtn top you harvest sheep. I live in the valley so I susbsist on moose. Noone in Kaktovik can susbsist on moose. There almost aren't any there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no need to "destroy" a subsistence animal. This was under "federal" subsistence which is much different than the state. I agree with Scott. It is total jealousy at best. If you want to hunt them, move to a qualified subsistence community and you can partake in these hunts. I have hunted sheep for many years and first and foremost we have the meat in mind, but the horns and cape are always neat to have as a reminder. There is simply no reason to destroy them when in fact they can be hung on a shed or turned into something.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Is that a mix between dall sheep and marco polo argali?? Big Grin

One word... WOW!

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott,
You have obviously outdone me! Well done. I surrender. I am just curious if your a native Alaskan? I am a native to Arizona

For conversation sake, the sheep I paid for and the bear I didn't kill were tags that cost a resident ZERO hunting opportunity. Arizona has a TOTAL of 87 Desert Bighorn Sheep tags. Statewide. It is not uncommon to speak to residents who have been in the draw for over 25 years with no luck. Antelope, I have 17 bonus points, again competeing with non-residents for a limited resource. Again my out of state monies cost Alaska residents zero opportunity but I still get the typical reaction from many Alaskan's "you from outside". Our tourist hunting dollars go to remote villages such as Ft Yukon, Kaktovik as you say and many countless others.

Honestly, that is one of the reasons that Africa is so much more appealing to me and many other sport hunters I know. Too many Alaskan's push an attitude of "go back to the lower 48", Africans are very accommodating and frankly you are representative of the typical unfriendly social dropout so common in the Alaska. I don't understand the attitude? If I go to wyoming I don't see it? If I go to Quebec I don't see it either.

The want n waste point I was trying to make is this, The rule is a polar one from the subsistance laws, and I believe completely consistant with a susbsistance "trophy" to be surrendered.

Scott, you live in a wonderful and wild place, I could not live there. To cold and wet, Arizona may not be for you, to hot and dry. It does not make you any less an outdoorsman that it get's hot here, any more than I don't like it cold and wet.

I deer hunt here in the desert in October in a T-shirt and shorts, Instead of having to carry emergency blankets and fire starters, we carry a whole lot of water and watch where we put our feet and hands. I do backpack mule deer hunts and my time in the field is limited to how much water I can carry

We live in different extremes Scott. But I'll say this, that which we have in common is much stronger than that which divides us.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd rather just pay the 15K to NOT have to live up there to hunt sheep! Cheap price IMO in those terms.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott,
You understand the absolute joy of never having to watch the weather news to see if you can go do something.!!
Happy Labor Day Bud!

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
....frankly you are representative of the typical unfriendly social dropout so common in the Alaska. I don't understand the attitude? If Steve

Interestingly enough I have not as of yet been banned from a free internet forum. Have you ever been banned from a free internet forum.?

Oops.

Yet you label me the "typical unfriendly social drop out,"

Its unfortunate you are under the impression justified or not that Alaskans are not friendly or accomodating. The sensible approach to any visitor to this state should be accomodation and hospitality.

Hackles are raised locally and state wide when visitors or "Outsiders" as Butler refered to himself as voice condemnation about topics they know little of. Even residents of urban Alaska rarely attain a solid understanding of rural Alaskan life.

Sorry, I believe your want n waste point was nonsense. Rare is the rural hunter whether they use a subsistence tag or not that considers meat less valuable than antlers or trophies. The antlers last out of the field rule was put into place exclusively for trophy hunters that would convieniently have a bear get the meat or it spoiled before getting it back to camp or whatever. Those trophy hunters are statistically by a wide margin non residents. No offense meant! That doesn't mean you all aren't welcome to visit! Its just the way it is.

My nationality, term of residency, and other personal info are not germaine. That you are a native of Arizona I find nice or something but little else. I had suspected you were born somewhere.

I hope that inspite of my sometimes or perhaps most of the time poor demeanor I have expressed my own and my peers opinions correctly and succinctly. As it applies to the topic; Yes we do value and do appreciate the "Local Priority", our supermarkets just don't compare to the ones in say Tulsa. Yes we do hunt for and value the meat over the trophy, yes we do think the antlers from a big moose or sheep are just as neato as non locals do and no we don't much value the input of ignorant to the subject non residents. Thank you for voting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interestingly enough I have not as of yet been banned from a free internet forum. Have you ever been banned from a free internet forum.?

Yes,
I have in fact been banned.....I begged and pleaded with Saeed till I got allowed back. Wink

I figured that would be your response sooner or later. I think where you are from is in fact pertinant, you are claiming to be in insider looking out and I am an outsider looking in. I don't care where, just state "elsewhere"

I bet your from Wisconsin or maybe Seattle since you have a sort of liberal slant. You claim local hackles get raised about "outsiders" comments but yet you pipe in on Arizona's draw and our remidies to crippling amounts out of states apps.

Like I stated before, my tourist dollars and hunting have ZERO effect on your ability to hunt anything there, conversely, everything of merit in Arizona is a draw, a fixed number regardless of who draws the tags. Therefore it has an enormous effect on my local hunting.

If you think I am the only one who see's many (not all) Alaskan's as unfriendly social dropouts, take a poll my friend. But lets do it in another forum, You can even choose the wording. As they say "He who frames the question wins the debate"

Here I'll even sign it "Chipolopolo" Big Grin

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

This is pretty interesting. Three ACST clients discussing subsistance. Regardless of the jibes you guys are giving eachother I really think Scott is the only one that understands the subsistance issue. He lives it as did I for 22 years. The subsistance preference gives the folks living in the remote areas of Alaska a priority as far as fish and game goes. So what? If you choose to live in the urban areas of Alaska, along the road system or out of state that is your choice. There is absolutely no reason that you should have the same access to fish and game as Scott. Scotts life and of course he chose it is more difficult with less goods and services available to him.

The abuse of subsistance is a different issue but when the subsistance priority is followed properly it does not hurt the game and fish populations. As Scott says most of the opposition to subsistance is based in jealousy by Alaska residents that for one reason or another have chosen to live in the ruban areas.

Brett is a new arrival in Anchorage that has obviously bought the urban bullshit spewed in the Anchorage gun shops concerning subsistance. A huge amount of Alaska residents don't realy understand that subsistance does not mean unregulated and unlimited hunting. When I lived in Dilligham the limit was one bull moose and five caribou. Guess what? That was the limit in unit 17 regardless of whether I was from Anchorage or from Dillingham.

I think the bottom line is that this subsistance priority is open to any Alaska resident or any US citizen that wants to move to the bush. The point is that the majority of people do not want to live the bush lifestyle so why would they get the advantage of living in the bush?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
You are missing MY end of the discussion. I think it is abused, Just because I don't live there doesn't mean I can't have an opinion.

Scott and I have some fundamental disagreements, he brought up Arizona's preferered staus to residents and I took exception. The discussion deteriorates as he begins to bring up unrealted facts about me being banned.

I have no issue with subsitance hunting or fishing, I do in fact see it as a right of the locals, however, don't tell me I don't have the same right to preffered status to the limited hunting opps right here in my state.

As stated, my sheep hunt or the griz I didn't kill cost Scott King ZERO repeat ZERO hunting opportunity. The tags drawn here by out of state hunters take a space. there are only so many spaces here. 87 sheep tags!!!!!!!! 931 Antelope tags, 24,118 Elk tags. Thats it for everybody...........no in state special dispensation.

The "outsiders" and "urbanite" comments speak to themselves.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Not to stir the pot anymore, but this is my take on the subject. I understand that places like Alaska rely on game animals and fish for food the same way most people rely on the grocery store. I think the issue people are having here is, if you're looking to put food in your freezer, it doesn't seem logical to climb up a mountain and search for weeks for the largest supermarket to buy your dinner at. I would assume, if I needed to go out and shoot an animal to eat, the first animal I ran into that my subsistence permit said was legal would get shot, be it a female or the next world record. I can spend time trophy hunting later when the hunting season opens and food for my family has already been assured via my subsistence permit.

This seems to be the issue people are having with this argali-like dall sheep. Based upon what people know of sheep hunting, that seems like a lot of effort to get some food. Granted, this may have been the first animal he ran into, but it seems unlikely.

I don't think the subsistence trophies need to be destroyed, especially since some, like this dall sheep, are magnificent. I think a system to discourage trophy hunting would be beneficial, but how do you differentiate between the guy abusing his subsistence tag versus the guy who just got lucky and walked into the next world record? Issue female only permits for 5 years to anyone who shoots 2 large male animals in consecutive years? Have Fish and Game hold all subsistence game antlers for 5 years before being released back to the hunter? It makes for a very gray area where a few abusing the system would ruin it for the rest of the law abiding citizens.

Just my 2 cents on the subject. It's a marvelous animal regardless of what type of permit it was taken under. Better than hearing about a huge dall sheep that was poached! Big Grin

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:

Oops.

Dillingham, Alaska's village idiot and resident sanctimonious PC blowhard loses yet another internet pissing contest and resorts to the old "Weren't you banned and came back on here?" ad hominem attack. Is that the best you can do, Coretta? rotflmo

Scott, you are waaaaaaayyyyyyyy too politically correct to ever be banned from ANY internet forum, let alone this one. Don't you have an adult diaper to change and a "Re-elect Obama Rally" or a "Wannabee Alaskans from other States for Gay Pride Parade" to attend rather than to bore the rest of us with your drivel? animal

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I know none of this matters and more to the point I know I don't matter. Having said that, it would appear that since Drook and Steve have devolved into name calling they cannot defend their position anymore.

Again, I think it unfortunate visitors or tourists of Alaska do not feel more welcome. On the otherhand having read the ignorant and inflammatory to the subject posts by the former mentioned I suppose it would be rather obvious why neither of you would feel "at home," in Alaska so to speak.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Guys,

This is pretty interesting. Three ACST clients discussing subsistance. Regardless of the jibes you guys are giving eachother I really think Scott is the only one that understands the subsistance issue. He lives it as did I for 22 years. The subsistance preference gives the folks living in the remote areas of Alaska a priority as far as fish and game goes. So what? If you choose to live in the urban areas of Alaska, along the road system or out of state that is your choice. There is absolutely no reason that you should have the same access to fish and game as Scott. Scotts life and of course he chose it is more difficult with less goods and services available to him.

The abuse of subsistance is a different issue but when the subsistance priority is followed properly it does not hurt the game and fish populations. As Scott says most of the opposition to subsistance is based in jealousy by Alaska residents that for one reason or another have chosen to live in the ruban areas.

Brett is a new arrival in Anchorage that has obviously bought the urban bullshit spewed in the Anchorage gun shops concerning subsistance. A huge amount of Alaska residents don't realy understand that subsistance does not mean unregulated and unlimited hunting. When I lived in Dilligham the limit was one bull moose and five caribou. Guess what? That was the limit in unit 17 regardless of whether I was from Anchorage or from Dillingham.

I think the bottom line is that this subsistance priority is open to any Alaska resident or any US citizen that wants to move to the bush. The point is that the majority of people do not want to live the bush lifestyle so why would they get the advantage of living in the bush?

Mark

Careful Mark, sensible reasoning and honesty will get you no where!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott,
Go back and REREAD this thread, you are the one who resorted to namecalling albiet calling me an urbanite is not really taken as an insult.

No more than unfriendly social dropout was meant to be namecalling, just facts. Try and be honest with yourself when you read it again, Alaskans by and large (not all) seem to think it is some kind of a badge of honor to live in Alaska.

They are possessive of the resources, "lower 48", think "outsiders" are just that, It wasn't I who came up with that stuff. I used to like the idea of spending time there but shite!!! it is depressing as hell.

And the pictures with the comment "The bear I didn't kill", how bout this instead.

Steve,
Looks like you had a tough, great hunt. too bad you couldn't connect on a bear, maybe you can come back next year and try again.

But no you took the condesending low road and put a poor taste in my already jadded feelings about Alaskans by trying to elevate yourself, to who? who really gives a shit that you killed a bear but I didn't? You do I see.

Have you killed a lion? a sitatunga? an elephant perhaps? you see where this leads.

The initial post from me was in response to Arizona tags anyway, look at my data, its accurate. Like I keep saying.

Out of state hunters in Alaska take nothing from YOU we only give. You resourse is completely intact.

It was you, may I remind you who also took the shot about being banned, YES I WAS BANNED..OK..

I would dearly love to know where you were before Alaska why won't you answer??

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Say Steve, did the Dall you hunted on the Kongekut for what something more or less than $15k look anything like this?

like this

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
By the by the grizzly you didn't get on the Kongekut looks like this.

or this

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Or this

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
we don't much value the input of ignorant to the subject non residents. Thank you for voting.

or maybe this

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Steve you seem fully wound up.

Again, I know I am inconsequential. Please find something else to obsess over. Beating me up via the internet I hope for you is less than fullfilling. Perhaps you could try a goat hunt. Maybe a king fishing trip. No pun intended. Have you considered a late season moose hunt or a Sitka blacktail hunt? I believe it is quite thrilling.

Tomorrow I intend to launch on Snake Lake and hunt for waterfowl and moose and brown bear on the lower Snake/ Weary River. I hope you find something better to do with your time than to conspire with Cane/ Drook/ 500/ Dan about me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In all actuality, non-residents have and do take away from us residents, but they also provide revenue to Fish and Game. I get upset when a limited resource is "given" to non-residents. Non resident sheep hunting has "led" to an huge increase in DRAW AREAS in Alaska that DO affect us residents. Instead of being able to hunt in those places each year, we now have to wait to be drawn. Subsistence hunting takes place all over Alaska. I have many opportunities that urbanites don't and that is simply the way it is and won't change. Personally, I would much rather shoot a big ram than a young one or a female. Much more meat on it and so be it that the hunter chose to shoot the biggest sheep he could find. I say kudu's to him.