Find
Notify
Tools

Emergency kit for the tundra
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted
When I am hunting or hiking on the windswept treeless Alaskan tundra in mid-September I bring along an emergency kit just in case I do not make it back to my campsite before nightfall either by choice or due to some unfortunate circumstance.

My camel back pack, without water, weighs 8.0 pounds.

aluminum foil, 324 sq in
antibiotic salve
bandage, stretch
bandaids, adhesive, 1 doz. asstd
batteries, AA, spare for GPS, headlamp, etc. (4)
batteries, spare for LED flashlight (3)
candles (2)
chemical glow-stick (2)
chemical heat, disposable (2)
compass, magnetic
flashlight, LED, small
heat tabs (2)
insect repellent
knife, Cold Steel Mini-Bushman
lighter, butane, disposable
lighter, windproof
lint pack
MRE (meal-ready-to-eat)
multi-tool
pain-reliever tablets, ibuprophen or aspirin (25)
pad of paper, small
parachute cord, 50 feet
pen
plastic ties, 1 doz.
poncho
protein bar (2)
sanitary napkin, maxi-size (to stop an excessive bleeding wound)
signal mirror
spade, hand
surveyor tape, fluorescent orange, 12 feet
survival blanket, large
survival blanket, small
tent pegs, aluminum (6)
toilet paper
vest, safety, orange w/reflective tape
water filter straw
whistle/compass/match-holder
zip-lock plastic bag, 1 gallon

Not included, shown, or mentioned above are what I am wearing, have in my pockets, attached to my belt, or the firearm(s) and ammunition I am carrying.

For short-term emergencies, this kit had served me well. Survival for a longer term woud require additional equipment and supplies which I would have in my main pack at my campsite.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds as though you'll be well taken care of.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My idea of a ggod time is to wander around the woods between Dec and March, when everyone else stays home, so my emergency kit follows the same lines. However, I carry an 8 x 10 plastic tarp to build a shelter and a little pot that contains a mini-propane bottle and stove to make sure I can have a hot meal and beverage. I don't trust butane lighters [damn thing can leak], so I have a fire making kit that contains matches, fuel sticks and one of those Strikeforce flint and steel things. the nice thing about the american MREs is that they come in a sealed plastic pouch. Canadian ones are similar, but our government cheaps out by packing them in a paper bag.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always carry enough to be able to spend a night in relative comfort. The further I plan on going the more I carry. The place differences occur is why one is forced to spend the night. If it's just getting lost that's not bad to work with, but if a serious injury is involved it's different. One is an uncomfortable camp out and the other might be life or death. Grizz let me know if you want company some lonely winter day.

the chef

One of Us
Picture of Irish Paul
posted Hide Post
In Ireland we bring a cell phone and a half bottle of whiskey per person!!!

All kidding aside, it looks like you are well prepared.

Never use a cat's arse to hold a tea-towel.

Posts: 280 | Location: California/Ireland | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice kit. I appreciate the inventory list as well. My own kit is similar, but also includes water purification tablets.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't go anwhere as remote as the tundra of Alaska and I go heavier than that.

My survival kit contains everything he listed plus:

a complete spare LED flashlight (switches, etc, can fail)
(and BTW, I carry one on my person at all times)

an ACR firefly rescue strobe lamp (and spare battery)

a spare lockblade pocket knife
(you can lose the one in your pocket)

a second butane lighter
(the first can leak, have a bad flint or simply get used up)

Drinking water, atleast two SEALED half liter bottles.
There are times when even sanitizing water is possible you'd still rather die than drink the nasty stuff....
(I draw the line before "juicing" elephant dung)

a multi-tool (again you can lose or break the one you have in your pocket)

a small sewing kit containing needle, thread, safety pins, spare buttons, etc... Repairing clothes is sometimes necissary and handy.
Thread can also be used to close a wound.

I can and have sewn up a cut or two on myself, once one handed (it was preferable to bleeding)

And I carry both protein bars AND "energy" bars,
usually four of each.

My paper notebook is made of special waterproof paper that can even be written on when wet.

a two way radio that will transmit on emergency VHF and UHF frequencies.
Remember that there is a written rule that states when life/lives are in peril there are no rules.

BTW, one of your items, the sanitary napkin? they were NOT originally invented for female hygene but as wound dressings.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
I'm in the process of putting a kit together. Does it make sense to carry a road flare?

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i put all my firestarter spaceblanket/ other small stuff in an army canteen cup wtih a small can of sterno for firestarter put shoo goo around the lid so it dont leak or dry out. it only takes a spark to lite sterno the wind cant blow it out, burns hot and forever if needed when the fire gets started slide the lid on to put it out and save rest

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 396 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only if you need some way to start a fire. If you are in need of rescue and folks need to see you, then carry a smoke flare. They probably won't be looking at night.
quote:
Originally posted by The Slug:
I'm in the process of putting a kit together. Does it make sense to carry a road flare?

NRA Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor, Basic Rifle, Basic Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading

"The dynamite bomb must be answered with the Winchester Rifle"
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 53 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
I was kind of thinking it could serve a dual purpose. As a signal flare and also as an emergency fire starter that would work in just about any conditions.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nambiahunter, I take "always" picture wire for either snaring of rabbits or for grouse. For grouse you can do the pole trick-they are so dumb you can use a snare and a stick and ease it over there head. Tarps are always a must and face away from prevailing winds as well as the campsite.

emergency gear varies but the wire/tarp is a "must" for me.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote