New
Find
Notify
Tools

QUESTION ON snowshoes...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
FIGURED this would be one of the more likely spots to ask.

I have had a pair of synthetic bear paws that I had literally worn out. NOTHING was natural materials on them and they never froze the bindings etc. Used them mostly for slow hunting when it got tough walking, but haven't needed them for years now.
Now to keep in better shape during the winter months I am looking for something I can go into a little heavier places with and I am a little out of touch with what is out there and what works well these days.
terrain would be some hills with an occassional steep. Medium heavy woodlands with the prospect of a heavier type snow not fluffy and maybe wearing a light 15-20 pound day pack.
I'm 6'1" and 240.
make and model suggestions???
websites, best place to purchase??

May not be "traditional" but the man made materials just really held up well over the years and the bindings didn't freeze like my old leather ones would on my earlier shoes.

thanks

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawcop,
Not that current on new models as my snowshoes are older Tubbs. When these wear out I will look for back country s.shoes (designed to bust trail) with bindings that don't flex much side to side (keeps feet from twisting downhill when traversing hills), big crampons under ball of foot and heel (for hills and ice)and the same size (30 inch- even at 175 lbs the flotation of a bigger shoe is great if in any powder). And I should have spent more and bought better s.shoes the first time. If you won't be in any soft stuff some people like the MSR solid shoes but I would suggest Atlas or Tubbs. If there is an REI near you the prices are ok and their return policy is very good, just in case. A pair of adjustable poles are great too. Hope this helps.

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally settled on a pair that are 60"x10". they trail quite easy, and being longer and narrow I can keep gait better. Mine are conventional, but I've had them for years

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wore out my pair of Tubbs, but they were ok.. My new pair is the medium size model from Sportsman Guide (sportsmansguide.com). They seem better to me and were cheaper too. Harnessis sturdier and they have an extra traction lug.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
What type of, and how deep is the snow you'll be traveling in?

I've had a pair of Atlas snowshoes for about 15 years, the first pair was ripped off, and the latest pair I got 8 years ago. I find them very stable, and especially like the crampons for decending hard pack. The crampons on the latest pair were originally made from Aluminum, but they flattened out. I e-mailed Atlas, they said ship them the snowshoes, and a week or so later my snowshoes returned with new stainless crampons, new bindings, and all work done for free.

I'm 6' and 230. I have the largest frame they make, not sure the model number. I also use cross country ski poles with them, helps stability on the hills.

Definately not cheap, but they are great snowshoes.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
What type of, and how deep is the snow you'll be traveling in?

I've had a pair of Atlas snowshoes for about 15 years, the first pair was ripped off, and the latest pair I got 8 years ago. I find them very stable, and especially like the crampons for decending hard pack. The crampons on the latest pair were originally made from Aluminum, but they flattened out. I e-mailed Atlas, they said ship them the snowshoes, and a week or so later my snowshoes returned with new stainless crampons, new bindings, and all work done for free.

I'm 6' and 230. I have the largest frame they make, not sure the model number. I also use cross country ski poles with them, helps stability on the hills.

Definately not cheap, but they are great snowshoes.

WELL, lately around home the snow conditions are either feast or famine. The snow tends to be heavier and packs down within a few days after it falls, so powder is not really an issue.

The depth can vary from a foot to 3 feet at any given time.
I have been ghosting the web sites and Atlas seems to offer quite a bit of choice. Also there is a dealer only 20 miles from m home that carries quite a selection.

THe real eye openner was caribou hunting this year, More snow then ever and way back in. 4 feet of snow is no fun with NO shoes to help. We haven't needed them for years so no one brought them with us.
waaaayyyy toooo much like work.

I'll have a chance this weekend to get to the store and take a look at them, although right now we only have a partial ground covering.
This is Michigan, where a little wind over the great lakes can give you LOTS of snow all at once so I know I will get some use of them before it is over with.

NEVER fear the night. Fear what hunts IN the night.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clifton Clowers
posted Hide Post
It snows very nicely up here on Wolverton Mountain and usually by mid April there are still three to three and a half feet of snow in the woods. I'm about the same size as you and I've had good luck with Cabela's aluminum and plastic snowshoes in everything from crotch-deep new powder to hard crust and ice. The price is right and they've lasted four seasons so far. I also use some wood and rawhide Tubbs, the long and narrow freighters, but the maintenance and bindings leave something to be desired and they don't have the built-in crampons. I used wood and rawhide bearpaws in the Army years ago, but the Cabela's beat 'em all hollow. Just get the biggest ones they make: 30 or 36 inches long by 10 or 12 inches wide. You'll need the flotation for that powdery stuff.

Armed men are citizens. Unarmed men are subjects. Disarmed men are serfs.

Posts: 74 | Location: Wolverton Mountain | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Lawdog

I have a 30 year old pair of Tubb's Trail w/neoprene bindings. (I retired the leather ones years ago). They are great on a flat trail.

About 5 years ago, I went out with some city folks. They had the new Tubbs w/crampons. We were on trails/off trails/and climbing steep mountains. These city folks kicked my arse! My arms could barely move the next day from trying to keep up with them (climbs) and they were hardly working at all.

The very next week, I went out and bought a new pair of Tubb's w/crampons, and never looked back.

I can travel more country, with less effort, and with more comfort. What was I thinking. The old Tubb kept me in better shape, but I hardly even sweat now.

"Stinky Taters"

"A women's breast is the Hardest Rock..., 'n I can find no sign on it," Bear Claws Chris Lapp.

Posts: 28 | Location: Buffalo Country | Registered: 02 September 2004Reply With Quote