New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Tipping - Alaska Guides
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thanks for the help guys - I appreciate it.

Posts: 89 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 07 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this topic has been beaten to death on the African forum but I wonder what the guidelines are for non-dangerous game hunting in Alaska? What is recommended for a caribou hunt, for example?

Posts: 89 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 07 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually try to pry that info out of the outfitter. It changes so much from location to location. The last time I was in AK on a Caribou hunt I tipped the guide $500 for two hunters. I added $300 to that due to the fact we filled all of our tags and had the largest animals of the season. The guide we had was a exceptional cook and beyond dilligent in their duties. In Texas hill country tips can be a few hundred bucks. In Quebec salmon camp $50 Canadian a day is a decent tip, In The keys it is a real no no to Charter a yacht and not bring lunch for the crew. I mention all of theese things because they represent the diversity that different areas and outfitters represent. Put the heat on the outfitter to give you a idea. Then judge the tip based on what you are comfortable with and the experience offered. Best of Luck

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
chuck-do i read your post correct? you tipped 800 dollars for a 10 day hunt. thats 80 per day, a little steep isn't it? or maybe i am not in the know.

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No it was $800 for a five day hunt. That was $400 per hunter. Yes it was steep but as we took trophy size animals and the service was top notch. That's $160 a day for butt busting work.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My outfitter told me that tipping his guide $100 per animal was normal on a caribou hunt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
chuck-thanks for the answer--service was the word, and that's what you pay for.

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rock,

Tipping is a concern particularly when you are on a tight budget. I think a guy should figure out the most he possible could afford to tip and then base the actual gratuity on how hard the guide worked, was the game and the hunting area as it was described and finally how smoothly did the whole thing go. If you were happy with all of this tip the guide well but if things were not quite right back down on the tip as you feel necessary.

I think way to often degree of tipping is a result of trophies killed rather than a guides ability etc. Often we forget that we are paying for the opportunity to hunt and not the trophy at hunts end.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12872 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote