THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    boat based black bear hunt 2nd week June 2006

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

boat based black bear hunt 2nd week June 2006
 Login/Join

posted
We are considering a boat based hunt for the 2nd week of June 2006. Is this too late for SE Alaska? Can anyone recommend outfitters that offer these type of hunts? I will be going with my wife and then 10 year old son. He wants to take a bear also. From what I understand at 10 he can get yhis own tag and still hunt off my licence. Is this true? On these type of hunts how much time is there for halibit fishing and crabbing? Whale watching and other sight seeing is also very important to us. Any suggestions will be greatly appriciated
Thanks
George K

Posts: 20 | Location: MOnroeville PA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George K: I think there are one or two black bear guides/outfitters that post here regularly and I imagine that you will hear from them. Hunting from a boat is fun and, normally, very comfortable. There is no way that you could avoid sight seeing or wildlife viewing, including whales and a bunch of other animals you haven't thought of yet. And of course there is the ocean itself and, well, Alaska (pictures do not do it justice..it is much better in real life). As far as your boy hunting, I think the regulations say that nonresident youth hunters (under 15) must have a hunting license. Hunters younger than 10 may take game under the supervision of a licensed adult at least 18 years old and any animal that the under-10 year old kills counts against the adults license and tags. Any hunter under 16 must have completed a hunter education course or hunt under the supervision of a licensed hunter who has successfully completed a hunter education course. If you want your boy to hunt you should definately talk directly to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game (for example, call the Ketchikan office at 907-225-2475) and ask them what the requirements are for a 10 year old non-resident. Any of the ADF&G offices will help you. I think if he has a license and tag, and he hunts with you, he will be able to hunt bear, but I would make certain that that is true. You will see more bears as the season gets later...black bear season ends June 30th in GMU 1 and 2 (likely SE Alaska bear hunting units)...so mid-June is getting pretty late...the hides will often be rubbed by this time. But you will see a lot of bears. This type of trip can be well suited for a family trip, but often the hunting boats are full of hunters looking to shoot bears...unless you charter the whole boat. If you come up, you will love it, and so will your family.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
That is getting late in the season. I will bet you see bears, but you'll need to check them out close for rub marks.

In any case, it should be a fun time. Who are you going with?

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
RWJ AND BW,
Thanks for the replies. Both of you being from Alaska, can you give any advice on outfitters. I have been doing some research and have a short list. I would like to hear from some Alaskans on their recommendations. The hunting is important and we would like trophies with a nice hides, but the experiences we have together far out weight the hide quality. We can't go any earlier because my wife is a teacher and our son is in school.
Thanks
George K

Posts: 20 | Location: MOnroeville PA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George,

I e-mailed you with some info. and availability dates for Parker Guide Service.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12939 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mark your email did not make it. I saw them but I was unable to open them.
George K

one of us
posted Hide Post
George, I sent you a PM. If that doesn't work send me your phone number and I'll try to call you at your convenience. I'm pretty sure I have exactly what you are lookng for with a top operator.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12939 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BW:
That is getting late in the season. I will bet you see bears, but you'll need to check them out close for rub marks.

Then again SE Alaska has always been more of a head hunt than hide hunt.

The big boars rub up pretty good well before mid-June.

George K,

Heck if that is the time frame you have availible... you'll have to do it then. Smiler

I know of a couple of good outfitters... some that I have hunted with and other from word of mouth... drop me a PM but do it quick since I leave for Alaska on Sat.

SA