Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Dall Sheep Hunt
 Login/Join

posted
Outfitter: Wilderness Enterprises (Joe Letarte)

Date: August 13-23 2012

Weapon: Remington XCRII .300 WSM w/Swarovski Z6i 2 x 12, 180 gr TSX.

This is my first post and a little dated, but here we go.

Left Chicago on Saturday August 11th on Delta, changed planes in Minneapolis and onto Fairbanks with no issues. Overnighted in Fairbanks, and flew into base camp Sunday afternoon. Headed out to spike camp on Monday morning, dropped gear, made camp, and headed out. We were able to get onto two rams late in the evening on Monday with one showing potential for the next day. Up early Tuesday morning and got back onto our rams. We were able to close within 300 yards, only to determine that the better ram of the two was not full curl. Hunted the remainder of the day spotting an abundance of sheep, but no legal rams. Wednesday morning, hiked into a new area and were immediately in sheep. Unfortunately for us, six prviously unseen rams were moving across a ridge above us and we were caught. The sheep reversed course, and headed for high ground across the canyon and stayed there all day. Thursday morning we broke camp and cached it in the river bed were we had been the previous day with hopes the rams had come down overnight. We found the rams, but they had decided only to move higher. We glassed this bowl holding out hope for several hours. As the sheep showed no signs of feeding down, the decision was made to head out and hunt our way back to base camp. So back to base camp on Thursday night with no luck, and plans the next day. Friday morning we headed into a new drainage, and immediately spot a lone ram high on a ridge. Spoting scope went up and he looked good from long range. We continue our hike, get to the foot of the mountain, and he hasn't budged. Another quick look, and my guide Rudy says he looks like a good ram. We make the climb, and we lose sight of him until we are within 500 yards. The ram has moved slightly closer to our position, but the wind is in our favor. Spotting scope goes up for the last time, Rudy confirms that he's a good legal ram. We ditch our packs, and make the final stalk. We manuver into position, I pop up over a small rock outcropping and take the broadside shot at 112 yards. We hastily climb up to where the ram was last. We look down, and there was the most awesomwe sight ever, my ram piled up 100 yards away. He was mine, a dream come true for any hunter.

So, lot of pictures, caping, and meat recovery, before the victory march back to camp.

Spent the next few day's in camp due to the weather, but was able to get out Monday morning, and back in Chicgao Tueday afternoon.

Everything about this hunt was perfect. From the outfitter, the flights, the weather, my guide, and the of course the beautiful ram I was able to harvest.

Posts: 2 | Location: Crown Point, IN | Registered: 21 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt and a trophy you and your family will treasure for generations.
Thank you for posting your report and photos and
welcome to AR. GOOD JOB!!!!

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done mate on a nice ram! very jealous this is one of my dream hunts,chasing those wild sheep tu2

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
Very nice ram, I like how wide he goes. Quick question, what did you think of your sitka gear?

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Sitka gear never was put to the test with mild temps, and no rain to speak of. The pants did hold up well on the shale and rocks I thought though.

Posts: 2 | Location: Crown Point, IN | Registered: 21 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your ram. Nice job!

Posts: 144 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a great ram and great hunt...congratulations Filko! That is definitely on my dream hunts list...hopefully one day soon...

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the story and photos.

Tim

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome ram, congratulations! Thanks for sharing with us... definitely on my bucket list!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
I want a DCUA or TMA tag sooooooo bad!!!

That is a sweet ram you got there BTW. tu2

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote