New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goat Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any recommendations for a mnt goat outfitter? Would like to go in 2009, 2010 at the latest. Don't mind backpacking (I have all the gear and am in shape) or a boat hunt, just want a good chance at success on a nice billy.

Posts: 161 | Location: United States | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from a goat hunt with Rick French - Alaska Alpine Outfitters. I had a great hunt. I have also hunted sheep with Rick before. He may be booked out a year or two, but you won't go wrong. All his hunts are backpack on foot.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill
I sent him an email, thanks for the lead. Got any pics of your goat? Thanks

one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
I'm about to leave for my second goat hunt with Johnnie Laird of Muskeg Excursions. It's a great hunt!
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
going to kodiak in October for Goat...self guided the hard way...the only way to go.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKsheephunter:
going to kodiak in October for Goat...self guided the hard way...the only way to go.

Unless your non-res then it has to be guided.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was on Kodiak last year, saw lots of goats but as RMiller said if you aint a resident you gotta play the draw game... something I dont want to do. I bet you'll have a great hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dennis zadra, lonesome dove outfitters has a great goat rep, over the counter. woods outfitting too.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKsheephunter:

Is Kodiak a better place to hunt goats than the main land?

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Kodiak goats seem to me are bigger body size wise, there have been studies that billies there reach full size in 3 years, but then again I'm no expert but ask fortyonesix, he guides there. I have pics of some friends with big goats taken on Kodiak, but I just can't post them without their permission, and have now relocated out of state, PM me if you want to see it.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4.5 years old 9.75" x 5.75" bases. A lot of good goats on the island but as usual the best places are a good hike from the limited landing areas.

Posts: 114 | Location: Kodiak, AK | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've posted a picture of the goat I took near Seward. Not exactly the white, fluffy picture TbinKodiak posted! LOL.
It rained virtually the entire hunt. The goat tumbled about 500 yards down the hill and landed in the stream. While the "drowned rat" pose may not be particularly attractive, I'm sure the goat will clean up well for a mount. I, on the other hand, always look a little worse for the wear!
Cheers!

Bill

The goats were in the shale near the top of this ridge.

Two other Billy's that were with the one I shot, now exiting over the ridge.

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can others see the photos I posted, or did I screw it up agsin?
Thanks,

Bill

One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
can't see them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pictures fixed. (At least I can see them now!)
Bill

One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
I'll second Dennis Zadra w/Lonesome Dove Outfitters out of Cordova. Most of the established outfits in Kodiak offer goat hunts but you'll have to draw a tag first.

Nice Billy TB! Did you get him this past weekend? Weather has been spectacular this past week hasn't it?

My wife had a tag for the north road system and the first best chance we had was during the last rainy spell. Managed to walk up on this billy in the fog up on the Devil's Prongs. She shot him at about 20yards and the dang thing rolled 1/2way down to Virginia Creek. Didn't get banged up too badly but added another 45minutes of climbing to get out!

GrayDuck,

I'm not an expert but have hunted goats in Prince William Sound, out of Ketchikan, and in Kodiak. Overall, I'd say Kodiak has slightly better weather and easier terrain. Of course, where you are specifically and the week you're hunting is what matters, weather and terrain wise.

The goat herd in Kodiak is very healthy and there's serious talk of going to a firstcome-firstserve hunt for the south half of the island instead of the lottery system in place.

Goats are closely managed (hence the drawing or registration tags) and in many places nannies count as two animals toward the area quotas. Not in Kodiak. Apparently, hunters in Kodiak shoot up to 60% nannies and the herd is still expanding.

Llamapacker,

Gotta love all the liquid sunshine you get on a coastal goat hunt! Congrats!

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
I know goats were introduced to Kodiak but are their wolves on there too? If not, maybe that has something to do with their population success.

Bill, nice goat. I have traded a couple emails with Rick and am going to put in for the draw. I doubt my chance are very good but maybe I'll get lucky. Wink

One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
No wolves on Kodiak but they're definately a problem in the SE and really putting the bite on the deer herds there.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PWS:

Nice Billy TB! Did you get him this past weekend? Weather has been spectacular this past week hasn't it?

No I shot that billy 4 years ago. I did draw that same unit this year, but the guys I was going to go in with decided to go elk hunting instead. Really wish I had been there this week. Some of the best weather we've had all year.
Tell your wife congrats on a nice goat. There are some decent billies in the Prongs, but its not one of the better areas for trophy quality. Easy to do a day hunt in though. beer

Posts: 114 | Location: Kodiak, AK | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I hunted in the Robinson Mts. SE of Cordova 1996-excellent hunt (9 7/8 Billy) with an excellent outfitter - Sam Fejes. Not sure about now but he usually takes some monsters.

http://www.fejesguideservice.com/

Adios

Sport

Posts: 103 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kodiak i'd say is easier than PWS, and goats seem to grow faster, more tags for those areas than most of the registration areas on PWS, i see more shooter billies in PWS than there is on the kodiak road system, if you want a good nanny, the kodiak road system tag is the one to draw. But your odds of nailing a good billy are getting slimmer every year.
Dennis Zadra probably has the best goat set up i've ever seen, i guided three hunts for him down there this year, first group of three were bow hunters, and shot three billies over nine inches in three days. The next client i guided shot a goat over nine in over nine years old the first day at 38 yards, then i went out a shot a goat and was back to camp in six hours...and dennis does this every year...he's good.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Darkside- I will be starting goat hunt on Nov. 7th out of Juneau wi Bruce Parker. He uses 80' boat as base camp and runs up fjords wi 16' alum boat looking for goats. When one spotted you go ashore after it. Will be reporting hunt results when I get back.
In this post most of what I read here is about Kodiak, what about SE Alaska?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just finished hunting in Sitka with Annahootz Outfitters. My buddy and I both got billies. A tough hunt! My buddy shot his two days ago and I shot mine yesterday. Today - I'm recuperating. LOL
Did see lots of goats, deer and even signs of bear. From the other pics the terrain is totally different. The other pics look like they were hunting in what I call sheep country. Our area had lots of alder, devils club and snow. Sitka is a beautiful town and I'm darned glad I finally got my goat.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Darkside- Returned two days ago from my goat hunt with Bruce Parker off his 80' boat. Went up channel for several miles daily, in 16' alum. boats. Saw lots of goats, Five hunters in four days took five goats. Got mine on day three, 4 1/2 yr old billie with 8 3/4" horns. Bruce & his team do a great job. Very nice accomodations, especially after a cold, wet day in a skif. Great to come back to good, warm meals, comfy bed, hot showers. Beats returning to a little tent with freeze dried meals. Great hunt for older hunters. If you act now you might be able to get an opening for 2010. Probably full for 2009; you would have to check with him. Nearly all of his clients come by word of mouth. His home base is in Sitka.

one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
I thought I'd show off the billie that I got the first week of October. I had a great time with Muskeg Excursions.

The weather changed alot the next day:

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote