New
Find
Notify
Tools

Musk ox hunt.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The outfitter has recommend I get some Sorel type pac-boots for my Oct. musk ox/caribou hunt. I'm from the south and know nothing about cold weather gear. I've looked through my Cabels catalog and found some Rocky Polar Trac's with 800grains of thinsulate rated to -100deg, anyone use these?

Also he says to says to bring some merino wool thermals, wool gloves and some heavey wool socks. After doing a little research I ran across the name Smartwool. Is this stuff any good? Where is the best place to buy it?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
My wife found me some pac boots at an online shoe thing called Marty's Shoes. She got me Sorel at like half price. They are good but heavy. I like the 1/2 price thing cause I have to leave SE Texas to use them. Email sent

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mark65: You will have to get DavidAK's attention somehow..he recently shot muskox (you commented on his hunt)..I would try an contact him directly throught his personal profile and ask what he used...his thread is on page 2 of Alaska Forum...

I really want to hunt muskox!

Good luck.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
I wore the Baffin Technologies Barrow boot, pictured here.

It's a good boot, I certainly didn't have cold feet, but it might be overkill.

Not sure what the temps will be where you're at, or whether you'll be using snowmachines, or other particulars...but for Nunivak, any good lined boot rated to at least -50 works fine.

I got mine one size larger than normal, and wore thick socks.

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What no bunny boots? Big Grin

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BP issues these now.... Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
David,

I'll be hunting out of Cambridge Bay, Nunivak, October 24 -28. Where could I find these boots?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a hard time finding them on the Net. Army Navy Store in Anchorage (907) 279-2401 has them.

I also think these would work well, and you can get them at Cabelas...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hold on...Nunivak Island? October? No way you'll need those boots...I'd recommend a comfortable leather hunting boot and a pair of ankle-fit hip boots, if you're going on a boat. Let me check with a friend who went last year during that time...I'll get back with you..

dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you mean Nunavut?

one of us
posted Hide Post
David: I think his hunt is up in northern Canada.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My mistake. The hunt is out of Cambridge bay, Victoria Island, Nunavut. As I understand it it should be cold with snow on the ground. We'll be using snowmobiles to get around and will be staying in cabins.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might ask the outfitter what temperatures to expect, and base your boot decision on what he says.

I just used the boots I was issued at work, and they worked well. While you're riding, a boot rated for lower temps will keep your feet warmer, since your feet will be relatively inactive, sort of like sitting in a stand...