Find
Notify
Tools

Brown Bear Limits
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
is it true that in most areas of alaska the brown bear limit is one bear every 4 years and only certain areas allow 1 bear every year. i believe i googled hunting around homer and read this there.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
your google abilities kind of suck then. I would not use the word most.

Well populated areas like the Seward Penninsula, coast areas like SE and the Kodiak Archipeligo, and a few others are 1 every 4 years. A good part of the rest of Alaska is either 1 bear per year or 2 bears per year.

Alaska's 26 GMU's all differ in their management of ursus arctos. The best thing you can do is look up all 26, and see.

The individual regulations for each GMU are in the GMU section of the G&F website.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I think Tanoose's interpretation is basically correct.
Until the state started seeing a decline in moose and caribou populations and villages, and some residents, began calling for more predator control, One bear every four years was pretty much state wide.
The state started wolf control but the Feds would not allow it on "their" land so the state had limited success with that program.
Bears are also a significant predator on both moose and caribou, but are also considered a valuable hunting resource, the Alaska peninsula is even officially managed as a "Trophy bear area". Although many rural folks called for including bears in the predator hunts, the state decided to simply allow hunters in the areas they deemed critical to take a bear every year, rather than one every four years.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Actually Wyoming my Google abilities are very good. I got that info.from an outfitter that was advertising hunts.but thanks for your input anyway.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tanoose:
Actually Wyoming my Google abilities are very good. I got that info.from an outfitter that was advertising hunts.but thanks for your input anyway.

WY's abilities ain't much better, in Alaska we don't have a G&F website, we do have a F&G website commonly referred to as the ADF&G.

Seeing his location listed as LA and his queries about moving to Las Vegas just make me so darn happy cuz he ain't here.

Posts: 9214 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Scott you don't need to jump on his case at the outset. Cabin fever much?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Scott you don't need to jump on his case at the outset. Cabin fever much?

No, not really. I've been duck hunting and jet skiffing quite a bit as well as working outdoors some, so no, I'd say I'm not feeling to bottled up. It wasn't much of a winter here, so really not much reason to stay in the cabin regardless.

BWW on the other hand has mentioned that he has micro small experience in AK, has demonstrated that here with the lack of knowledge that he offers to prove in print, and compounds it all with an abrasive attitude. 458 win seems to disagree with his opinion also, although its certainly not for me to speak for him. Opening with "Google abilities kind of suck," struck me as obnoxious long before I chimed in.

Posts: 9214 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was more off the cuff. Sarcasm doesn't always translate from print. Obnoxious probably, you really can't joke with anyone anymore on the internet.

Scott King has voted me out of Dillingham about 300 times since I first joined AR in the 1990's. He lives on the very end of the Earth and I imagine he's gruff from feeding the Yeti every morning.

If the OP wants to spend an hour clicking through the hunting regulations that's where they are under the individual GMUs.

Don't live in Alaska anymore.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the OP wants to spend an hour clicking through the hunting regulations that's where they are under the individual GMUs.

After looking at dozens of states hunting regs on the web and spending many hours.

I find that what ever they are called DNR, DFG G@F ADF@G their web sites normally suck.

We went from having one small 20 page 3x4 book for hunting regs 30 years ago. Covering all hunting in the state to least 5 reg books with many more pages.

Sorry but the professional wild life managers have not made going hunting any easier.

Yet a lot of states complain about the lost of hunters.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Took all of about 5 minutes... These are a mix of resident bag and NR bag limits.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sta...lations_complete.pdf

bears/year --------- Units

1/4-----------1-6, 8, 9, 10, 14
1/1-----------6, 7, 11-13, 15, 16, 18-26
2/1-----------16, 17, 19, 20, 22, 25

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan thanks!

As typical this post went the normal AR way as follows.

The typical AR quesitons:

1. Where is the best steak in the world?

The typical AR answer:

2. I once ate a 76 ounce porterhouse and it gave me terrible gas.

The typical 8th post down on AR:

3. Blaser rifles suck, you suck, I hate you, you are gay, you are fat, you are not allowed to move to my home town or any place near where I live in hopes that my offspring and your offspring will not ever meet or copulate. In fact you drive a stupid car, your country is stupid, and you are a big fat liar.

The typical 28th post down on AR:
4. And at the end of the day I blame Rich or Biebs and Saeed is secretly Colonel Sanders or Santa Claus.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
...Saeed is secretly Colonel Sanders ...
rotflmo

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ivan.

Its kindof an Alaska thing. . ADF+G is ADF+G.
It's NOT!!! Game and Fish or something else.
It's. ADF+G!!! . Then there is DNR. dept Natural Resources. But their not game related to speak of. More forest fire fighting. , land use permits, timber sales, mining claims ect.
BLM =bureau of land management. Their Federal. Think Subsistence permits+tags on Federal land.
Then there's US Parks Service. They deal with parks and monuments. They are federal so at times subsistence activities can happen on their land. . Their kinda a different bunch so I avoid them if possible.
Then there is US Forest Service. They can be ok or a bunch of total culls. Back when they were timber oriented and Alaska was a natural resources extraction based economy, the Forest Service wasn't too bad sometimes pretty good. Nowadays, all these outfits are mostly just gun toting federal agents with too much authority enforcing far too many laws that we never had to fool with before.
Imo, ADF+G is the best of the bunch. !! Actually helpful quite often.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote