New
Find
Notify
Tools

.358 cal. for Black Bear?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am researching a heavy load for my Model 99.358 Win for the purpose of hunting Black Bear in thick cover. A 250 gr .358 bullet at 2300fps would be potent for this application. I am leaning towards a good bonded core bullet like the Swift A-Frame, Woodleigh Weldcore, or North Fork sp. Has anyone used any of these bullets at the velocity range that I am dealing with?

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
This is one of the great lessons that a trip to Africa usually cures. That is to say, heavy for caliber is the BEST CHOICE for BULLET WEIGHT. Bullet selection and performance is nearly as important as bullet placement. I to once lost a fine trophy Blackie to a poor shot (neck) which was followed with a chest (note the general area aspect of this description)second round. The bear was at 10 yards, and it was very very thick, and very very fast. I do believe the bear died, but I was unable to locate it. I was diminished by this experience. Two weeks later when taking caribou and moose with the same load I discovered why the "failure." My fault entirely, to strong a bullet for the belocities achieved, and too little expansion. Placement would have had to be perfect for speedy results! In addition, the Hornady RN mentioned above at the velocity cited would be near ideal, I have taken over 20 head of game with that combination (45 grains of H335... Winchester brass... Federal/ or CCI standard primers in the .358 Win.)

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote