THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    What weather can I expect around Cold Bay(Bear Lake) 1st 10days of October?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What weather can I expect around Cold Bay(Bear Lake) 1st 10days of October?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
I know weather can be unpredictable,but generally what temps and rain? I Hunted AK Spring 3x,but never fall? Thanks!....Also,how much dayight?

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Average high is 43, average low is 33. Record highs have been in the low 50's and record lows are in the teens. Precipitation on the average is low just a couple of tenths. However there is always exceptions if it were me I would plan on rain and snow driven by wind but no sub zero stuff. Depending on where you are coming from it may not feel all that bad but if you are used to california, Florida or south Texas weather it will feel cold. I see you are from Georgia, it will feel plenty cold to you but again it won't be terribly cold.
In and around Cold Bay the wind blows, pretty hard at times and softer at times but it almost always blows, everytime I've been there the wind was blowing and two of the times it was blowing about 50 mph.
You must be on a bear hunt I would guess. Others who live around Cold Bay could probably give you more current info as I haven't been to Cold Bay in years and usually I was passing thru going west.
Good luck.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for the excellent report! Yes,I am on a Brown Bear Hunt!

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom hit it on the noggin as far as the weather is concerned. When I hunted there the Aleuts said that if you don't like the weather, wait 30 minutes and it will change. It rained, sleeted or snowed every day, somedays several times, with periods of brignt sunshine in between. The winds are the constant you can always depend on. The sky is so big there at least you can see for miles and know what to expect soon. When the cloud looks miles away, get ready with the raingear, because in the next five minutes it will downpour something. Good raingear and footwear are necessities for sure. A rainproof gun boot might be good. I always remember Cold Bay when I look at my Brown Bear rug in the floor with fond memories, and with great respect for that great animal. The hair on my neck raises again, just like it was yesterday. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was a weather officer (USAF) in Alaska in the late 60's and my favorite weather "story" involved calling off a local softball game at Cold Bay because the wind had stopped and the players kept falling down.......think about it.

I was in a Super Cub a bit SW of King Salmon and head winds were about 15 knots less than our top speed .... seemed like the earth stood still.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Thanks all!...Also,how much Daylight will there be in this area for Bear Season?(Oct 1-15th)

one of us
posted Hide Post
www.wunderground.com will allow you to check weather patterns, weather history, moon phases, sunrise to sunset, and many other things. Check it out as that is what I check often for weather around here.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
GOT IT,VERY HELPFUL!!