THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Where would you shoot thes Brown Bears...

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where would you shoot thes Brown Bears...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
described where your vertical and horizomtal cross hairs would be

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Don't like the angle on the first one, kinda 'leggy' too. Pass for now.

Not a fan of this shot either, but given the distance, I think I could take out that leg, and put some bone into the heart/chest cavity...

Take out the heart, and the far leg. Be ready to take out near side leg...

Don't get much better than this in real life....

Them's my shots, your mileage may vary...

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I think all of these are workable shots. The only consideration would be how far from heavy timber?

Wouldn't bother me to have a friend backing up if they were close to cover.

Is the 2nd one a interior bear?

A belt fed 375 Ultra or 458 Lott would be the first choice. Big bears can soak up enough lead to use as a paperweight.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No 1 rt at the base of neck and body well take out the spine both lungs and one shoulder if one miss the spine you well still take out the out one shoulder and lungs ect.

number 2 middle of shoulder

Number 3 same as number one a shot there well cripple and kill

Number 4 rt behind the near shoulder taking out lungs heart and far shoulder

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
quote:
No 1 rt at the base of neck and body well take out the spine both lungs and one shoulder

I'm not seeing that combo. Heck, I don't even see the base of the neck.

Brian

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
With the first one I would wait for it to come around a little bit more,,,,Mayby squeeze a squeeker or a screeeemer fawn bleat ,not too loud , to get it to come in more...As it stands I would go for the left eye brow,, stightly to the nose side...A 300 gr .416 or 458 X bullet @ 2500 plus fps impact velocity would bust the rat poop out of its head and severly damage the neck and maybe bust the right shoulder and exit ....Other than that , right where BW showed.......Don,t want or need back up for these shots... BOOM

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Well, I learned a long time ago when shooting Brn Bear, anchor them on the spot. That means a spine shot.
A heart/lung shot may get your ass eat up. A heart/lung shot Brn Bear will live a long time. A spine shot Bear is down. He may not be dead, but he is not going to eat your ass.
The hump on a Brn Bear is an extensions of the spine. If you hit one of those extensions, the bear is not going to walk much.
My rule on Brn Bear is not to kill, it's to break them down, you can kill them later.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
You would shoot that bear in the hump?

Brian

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Yep:
A low hump shot will usually put a bear down every time.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with BW on all shots. I don't like #1 as there just isn't a lot to deal with on that angle. Let it come a bit closer and the angle may change. I have shot ALOT of bears and bears #3 and #4 are perfect. Entrance or exit breaks one of the legs and the lungs/heart are gone. Best of both worlds. I would surely take #2, but only shooting a "big" rifle. My .375 ultra mag would do nicely. I had a buddy shoot a 7' black bear in that exact position with his 30-06 and we lost the bear.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
....No dis respect ment ,,.,.but ... Lost a bear shot with a 06,,, imagine that !!

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
....No dis respect ment ,,.,.but ... Lost a bear shot with a 06,,, imagine that !!

Must have been poor shot placement or a crap bullet to lose a bear. Gots nothing to do with the cartridge that was used, especially a time-tested 30-06. Imagine that!

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.....Ya , I guess that is what causes so many bears to be lost when hit with the 06 and simular calibers.....

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
+1 for TJ.

I agree both BB's I collected were finished with shots near the spine. A close or spine hit will turn out his light if near his head to hump. Further behind is a paralyized beast. I would like to hear Mr. Shoemaker's comment on this subject?

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm surely not into an 06 as bear medicine. I have shot a few grizzly with the exact same stance in the picture with my 8mm mag and the .375 ultra mag and they were down instantly. I just wouldn't make that shot with a smaller caliber rifle. JMO

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i WOULDN,T HESITATE ONE SECOND TO TAKE ALL OF THOSE SHOTS WITH THE 30-06 OR EVEN THE 270.
HOWEVER THE LAST ONE I TOOK WAS WITH A 45-70 BETWEEN THE EYES.

Posts: 131 | Location: Black Hills | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
How many Alaskan Brown bears have you shot in those places and apparant distances with those 2 fine wolf calibers ?? Bear Hunter 62 ??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eight. The 45-70 was the biggest rifle used. 270, 30-06 and 7x57.

Posts: 131 | Location: Black Hills | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BearHunter 62:
Eight. The 45-70 was the biggest rifle used. 270, 30-06 and 7x57.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
....How many times each did you have to shoot these bears ...Why did you shoot one between the eyes and where were you ,,surley they don,t have brown bear in the midwest ?? The ,statement [ I wonldn,t hesitate for a second ]] kind of leads me to think you are kind of inexperienced .....Or mayby you ,.,.Well can,t argue now cruise ship on the rocks at Couverden ,,gotta go

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alaska in the 60's Only 50 years expierence, sorry about that. The one between the eye was 25 yards away and looked hungry and disturbed. The rest were shot once each except one with the 06 that took two, my fault, the first shot could have been better. Good luck with the ship on the rocks, just saw it on Fox News. I am an old Navy man.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
....Well they had it underway by the time I flew over it...It was only about like 18 miles from Hoonah....You would think people who pilot a cruise ship would at least make a fair attempt at not hitting reefs that have been there for at least a hundred years.....Course a few years ago there was a new drink at the P bar in Sitka,..At least some one said they had one there... [ A LeConte on the rocks...]] And the LeConte is an Alaska State ferry....Were you @ Woman,s Bay or Adak BH 62 ???.. I , myself would never recomend anyone shoot a bear with a darn good coyote rifle .. Smiler Roll Eyes They still had the life rafts there when we flew over the site of the grounding.... I,m sending this post from a tent a bit north of Berners Bay ...... What a high teck world .. dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back then I just just a few years with an uncle up there who hunted all the time. Quite a deal for a pheasant hunting kid from SD. Back then the 30-06 and 3040 krag were pretty big rifles. My Uncle had a 300 H&H but we never heard of a 338 yet the and that was before the 300 Win Mag.

Yes the technology is amazing. My kids just gave me a lap top. I get all their outdated stuff. Cool. Thats ok though, the price is right I spent most of my Navy years on aircraft carriers. Recip Mechanic. Have a good one, keep dry.