New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: POW black bear outfitters
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Not sure if you need a guide (by regulation) to hunt black bear on POW as a non resident, but they are plentiful. You actually don't need a guide, just a place to stay. There are no Brown bears on POW, so you can take a light gun (7-08, 308, ect). I hunt deer there every year and black bear seem to stalk the creeks for pinks or silvers. Get more info at AK Fish and Game website.

Posts: 1542 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

ALANC, I guess that means you walk alot of rivers in POW, I say that as I plan on moving there in about 1 years and I will be there in August, last week for the silvers, and a halibut charter,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been interested in POW for sometime never actually been there , you say you are going to move up soon have you checked the real estate and employment situtation from what I read its a little on the tough side , just would like someones opinion thats actually stayed there .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I am going to be there in August and will do some fishing,silvers and halibut. I also will be looking at land there I will build ,but I want beach front for a boat. I am in the position that I really will not have to work, will have a pension,43 and have no kids or wife,one time was enough for the wife stuff.The big problem with the area is there is very little land to buy as most of the island is national forest,Thanks,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nvrnuf, I have hunted black bear several times on POW and I must say that it is one of the best place I've been for an unguided black bear hunt. If you are interested on doing it unguided e mail me or send me a message and I will give you some info on the best and cheapest way to do it unguided.

Posts: 54 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote