New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boat Based Brown Bear Hunt.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I finally got the go ahead for a Brown Bear Hunt from my better half.
Just looking for some info on it.
I know I want it to be a boat based hunt, where you sleep on the boat.
What areas are best?
Spring or Fall?
Any guide suggestions?
Any info is much appreciated.
Thanks,
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Research or call Annahootz Adventures operating out of Sitka, Alaska. Jim Phillips is a poster on here and is a first class boat based outfitter. Contact # is 907-747-2608 or annahootz.com

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim posts here as "bear guide".

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodsie.
Please feel free to look at my past posts and see what I figured out.
I had the luck of being able to do both the Spring and the fall hunt. these are 2 different hunts, both are enjoyable, but they were different.

If I can be of any help, please feel free to get in touch and we can chat on the phone. I believe I did all the homework necessary to ensure a great hunt and I can tell you I was not disappointed with my choice of guides.
These were the best guides I could get in the business and were recommended by other top guides.

Baranof expeditions
Jim Boyce and Bert Stromquist

I received plenty of help from this board when I was looking at going, please do not hesitate to get in touch so I can return the favour.
Thanks
Calgary Guy

Posts: 108 | Location: Calgary | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Scott McLeod, alaskaravenguide.com out of Sitka as well. He and his son do a great job and have a wonderful boat/ship as base camp.

I will be more than happy to provide details as you may need. Oh, my hunt was the end of May and some bear were rubbed already but we saw over 80 bear and the country is wonderful but tough.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also highly recommend Jim Boyce and Baranof Expeditions out of Sitka for anyone wanting to have a marvelous boat-based brown or black bear hunt in Southeastern Alaska. Great, exclusive areas, excellent equipment, very professional.

Posts: 97 | Location: Texas | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
For someone who's never hunted brown bear but wants to in the next five years, what are the major differences between a boat based brown bear hunt vs non boat based (besides one's based on a boat!)

Thanks,

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Almost all hunts for bear in Southeast are boat based , which means you stay on a boat as base camp and cruise the beachs for bears in small skiffs.These base camp boats will range from thirty to eighty feet plus and most are very nice accommodations{showers, cooks, rtc,}Southeast Alaska is made up of Islands so there is lots of bays and calm waters to hunt. I would recommend a May hunt. Some guides like fall but I find the weather better in late May, longer day light hours to hunt and big boars are chasing sows starting in late May .All the guides in the Sitka area will give you a good hunt. I have worked with most and all have been in the business for ten or more years and know what they are doing.

James Phillips
annahootz

outfitter,southeast Alaska, brown bear, black bear ,mt goat

Posts: 66 | Location: southeast alaska | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks James, so that would include Kodiak Island as well?

Regards,

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck, I don't think Kodiak hunts are boat based. I couldn't tell you for sure though haven't been in Kodiak in fifteen years are so. Kodiak Island is much more open water and bigger country than Southeast it just doesn't have the number of bays and inlets and inside waters that Southeast Alaska has.I fished commercial up there didn't hunt so my expience around Kodiak was more on the water than land.
James Phillips

outfitter,southeast Alaska, brown bear, black bear ,mt goat

Posts: 66 | Location: southeast alaska | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Chuck:

I hunted with Joe Polanco on Kodiak in '08--he had a 65' motor sailor out of Kodiak harbor that he anchored in bays, from which we scouted inlets/creeks via zodiac. Not as hard as a "foot hunt", but it sure beat sitting in a bomb shelter for days when the weather got bad. Better food, too.

I don't have a link with me, but I'll try to post one in a day or two.

Dave Manson

Posts: 690 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I'm not committed to a boat hunt. I'm in pretty good shape for someone who just turned 60. I still elk hunt in Colorado without animals or ATVs (thought those ATVs for hauling out elk are sure looking good these days). Have any of you hunted with Gus Lamoureux? I visited the Alaska booth at SCI Reno and his name was mentioned as someone who gets very good bears.

Regards,

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
I'm not committed to a boat hunt. I'm in pretty good shape for someone who just turned 60. I still elk hunt in Colorado without animals or ATVs (thought those ATVs for hauling out elk are sure looking good these days). Have any of you hunted with Gus Lamoureux? I visited the Alaska booth at SCI Reno and his name was mentioned as someone who gets very good bears.

Regards,

Chuck

But the original auther is.SmilerSmiler
Thanks for all the information. Your help is greatly appreciated. Going to pick up my .375 H & H Tommorrow.
Thanks again,
W.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck/ I have been lucky enough to have gone on 4 boat-based hunts in SE Alaska, all of them in spring. Fall hunts can have rain so heavy that the fish get washed out of the streams. Fall hunts are right on top of the bears, some with little notice when a bear pops out of the underbrush. Fall hides are usually in good shape; spring hides can be verry good or some rubbed, sepending on when you go. I would find a hunt that starts about the 10th of May for a 10 day hunt. The sows usually start in heat about the 15th; you will see lots of bears. Hunts in late April run the chance of a late spring with lots of snow on the ground & few bears to be seen. Hunts that start after the 20th of May will have more hides badly rubbed. I took two hunts with Brad Dennison out of Sitka; great guide/ great area and a man I would be proud to have at my dinner table with my friends.)1-907-747-8759) Also consider a hunt with Eli Lucas out of Petersburg; his area is on Admiralty; great guide & very fine person.(1-907-772-3455/907-772-3405). I am returning on a 2nd hunt with him for black bear. CAREFULLY follow up with references, look for hunters who have returned to hunt with the guide more than once; that says it all. Another very good guide is Dale Adams out of Sitka: i have met Dale and he has a very good reputation as well. The average male brownie in SE Alaskasquaresabout 8'6". Feel free to email me at chazgreen@sbcglobal.net if you have questions/ Chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chaz

Regards,

Chuck