Find
Notify
Tools

Wolf in the yard!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted
Ours dogs stared raising heck this morning and my wife rose to the occasion. 22mag at 25yds did the trick.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great work! and a nice trophy as well tu2

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done, Congrats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a beautiful wolf! Love the very light phase of the coat

O

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice one, its called 'keeping the wolf from the door' Smilerjc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good deal, we have too many wolves up along the Yukon at the border too.

I never see them during the daylight though, we have seen them right at daybreak on our road. Our wolves show up off and on all winter long, hang around for a week or so, then are gone for a month maybe. When caribou are around, wolves all over the place.

I actually had wolves in my garbage cans last winter. They walked between house and shed, went right to the cans. Wife had cleaned out one of the freezers and dumped a few old salmon in the garbage can. It was November, the wolves still winded the fish. My dogs inside the house knew they were there and opened up. Second night, I ran out but it was dark and they took off. I set up game camera, they never came back.

Neighbor shot a 100 lb female in his driveway, was killing his dog, had it by the neck on ground. Neighbor ran up, shot it with shotgun at 6 feet, sprayed blood everywhere on snow. Funny thing was wolf wouldn't let go of the dog, when neighbor was hollarin his head off.

I've been out cuttin wood behind house and no wolf tracks on my trails yet, they'll show up.

Have you ever had young wolves, this years pups come in and hang around? We do every couple years, picking off all the snowshoes, cats, and loose dogs. Usually around mid August and they are lonely or scared or something. I've had them walk up my lane, sit down 10 yards from my porch and look at my dog team, who are going crazy trying to break their chains to kill the intruder. They really haven't learned to fear man yet I believe.

Actually though, I rather just hear them wolves across the river, ha.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HuntNBgame
posted Hide Post
Nice going!! Congrats to the wife.

Posts: 131 | Location: East Coast,USA | Registered: 04 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
I guess that .22 mag was "more than enough gun," or doesn't she insist on that idea? Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
Ours dogs stared raising heck this morning and my wife rose to the occasion. 22mag at 25yds did the trick.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
We have had a male hanging around for the past four years. Our guests love to see him and as you can imagine the photographers go wild. He is pretty tame when he is on our turf but still wild when we see him elsewhere.
However this year he went home with a happy moose hunter.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
Phil, do you have dogs? Just wondering. Thanks.

I have four little Jack Russell terriers and wild boar most nights here in Japan. No way could we handle wolves.

quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
We have had a male hanging around for the past four years. Our guests love to see him and as you can imagine the photographers go wild. He is pretty tame when he is on our turf but still wild when we see him elsewhere.
However this year he went home with a happy moose hunter.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
No, we don't have any pets - unless you count wolves, bears, caribou and about 100 ptarmigan in the yard each fall.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
In other words, low maintenance pets. We could say the same about the inoshishi (wild boar). Smiler Some neighbors object, but I quite enjoy their presence.

quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
No, we don't have any pets - unless you count wolves, bears, caribou and about 100 ptarmigan in the yard each fall.

Norman Solberg

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't have to go to Alaska, for that. Big Grin Rancher shot this one, where I'm working, about 2 weeks ago. Couple of hundred yards, behind the house, which is about 6 miles from Sundre. Just on that little rise you see in the background.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Great pic Phil!! Good shot placement Grizzly.

here's what greeted me this a.m,,I missed him by a whisker!

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
There are few things as humbling, and fun, as trapping wolves.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hasn't been officially verified yet but a lady about 2-3 miles from us (Hurst Rd.) said she thought they had a wolf in the yard after their dog. This was this last Sun. A.I.R. She said she didn't get a good look at it as it took off.
Fish & Feathers took a look but couldn't verify either. Sure hope we don't have the problem we had about 3 years ago. Don't wanna keep the pistol near the door, the outdoor light on all night & the radio playing rock & roll to try & protect our sled dog.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in the Idaho panhandle it's happening too... Kirk Hill shot one in his yard 11-15 just above our cabin on the St. Joe. On the Hell's Gulch road just a litle way from the St. Maries High School.. had to get into his gun safe to liberate a rifle first, but killed a black female. St Maries Gazette Record 11-23 issue

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wish we had a season on them in Wis could have shot one in the yard too.

Posts: 19428 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
`
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Wish we had a season on them in Wis could have shot one in the yard too.

They do, the 3-S Shoot Shovel Shutup dancing

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good people just don't talk about such things

Posts: 19428 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Yup! !!

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
Great pic Phil!! Good shot placement Grizzly.

here's what greeted me this a.m,,I missed him by a whisker!

If that was a #9 he would have been there wagging his tail! Smiler

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Northway,,,,,, I know!!!!!!!!!!

This was a test gone bad...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CUDOS TO YOUR WIFE!

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Jim, it doesn't look like you have enuf snow there th run a snogo. .. We went from 40 below a week++ a half ago to 40 above today. Yuk.

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
This fellow was in our front yard this am.
I was drinking coffee and saw this wolf headed for our baitpile,grabbed the 222 out of the snomachine scabbord and went to my shooting tree--it was frozen stiff!
Ran back to the house and got the 30 Gibbs and dropped him,,325 yds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
nice wolf i just picked up a 93R17-BTVLSS (LEFT HAND)17hmr and 400 rounds of 20 grain xtp's and mt'ed a leupold 2-7 on that bad boy gonna be going out in a day or so to get me a few wolves on the line all shot of course under 100 yards head shots only if its not a clean shot it wont be taken

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
700 I know a couple of fellows that have done remarkable things with the 17,they love theirs!! I would treat it like a downsized 223. Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
i will admit i was very doubtful of it at first but after witnessing what it can do i was sold and hadto have 1 my self i even got a 17 hmr ruger single six to go with it but i bought that a few weeks back the 17 grain speer tnt bullet also has great penetration potential check this place out has all the 17 hmr info you could ever want

http://varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote