Find
Notify
Tools

GUNS for Alaskan Hunting...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted
Since this section is new to the Forum, how 'bout discussing the firearms you would use or dream about using in the Alaskan Wilderness?

I could use some help in making a decision or two.

I've already got my Marlin 1895 in .45-70 and I'm looking at doing a couple of things to it like the large-loop David Clay lever and possibly the fiberglass stock kit and the scout mount for a NIKON red-dot sight. This is my 'big bore'.

I'm about to fill my last 'niche' in my hunting rifle collection and my choices for a bolt-action .375 H&H have been narrowed down to two:

1. Remington 700 which might be a Custom Shop Mountain Rifle offering as I like the simplicity and familiarity of the design (I've already got the 700 Police in .308 and a 7mm Rem.Mag. BDL).
I'm known for my love of 'Black Rifles', and for the money invested, this would already be there, ready for a back-up scope change. I plan to use a Leupold 6x42 for the main scope (eye relief is 4.5"!) and my old Redfield Tracker 6x42 (eye relief is about 3.25"...) as the back-up scope.

2. Browning A-Bolt II Medallion w/BOSS because it has every cool toy on it already for a special rifle in a special cartridge.
It's already blued, albeit shiny.
It has back up iron sights.
It can be tuned for factory ammo and I don't reload yet ( Wife gets a house after I get this gun... [Wink] ).
The bolt locks down on safe.
My other consideration is that I'd have to get a synthetic stock for this blued version, upping the cost to that of the 700 Custom Shop rifle.
OR I could get the Stainless Stalker with the initial higher cost and the factory synthetic stock, THEN have the stainless finished in black...and I don't know what finish would be best for that yet.

Either way, I'm looking at spending about $1,000.00 for my .375 H&H firearm.
The scope choice would be the same for both guns.

These are my two choices, with the variant being the Browning in one form or the other.
I'd appreciate any helpful suggestions on how to achieve my goal of a '.375 Black Rifle' to get the most bang for the buck~~~! [Big Grin]
Thanks.

Posts: 750 | Location: Upper Left Coast | Registered: 19 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
I'm investigating the Birdsong Black-T finish for the A-Bolt Stainless, BTW.
I'll post any info I get back.
(...this building of a new rifle is such an exquisite sickness, isn't it? [Razz] )

[ 10-14-2003, 20:55: Message edited by: BusMaster007 ]

Posts: 750 | Location: Upper Left Coast | Registered: 19 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
BusMaster..Your choice is sound...But a muzzle brake on the .375 in not necesary...IMO
Turkey hunting 12ga. loads recoil more... I will let you choose the rifle...But I would go for as much rust proofing as possible...

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Having my Alaskan rifle being built as we speak.
Win pre 64 action
Lothar Walthers 338 win mag 24" barrel
McMillan G&H synthetic pillar bedded floated
Tally QD rings/bases
S&B 6X42 main scope
Leupold 6X42 back up scope
Trigger job

Will use 210 grain Nosler BT for bou
Will use 250 grain which ever premium shoots best
for moose/bear/elk

Hope to have before Christmas.

Good luck with yours too...

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
retreever:
It comes with a 'non-muzzle-brake' attachment called the CR for conventional recoil...it doesn't have any holes except the two for poking the wrench through to r&r the part. I bought one for my BAR in 7mm because I didn't want the noise of the brake. I'll still be able to tune the gun/load, just without the extra noise. [Eek!]

JeffP:
Sounds like a real nice gun you're having made to your liking.
The choice in scopes is interesting. I must be on the right track with that.
[Smile]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm getting ready to have my dream rifle built at the moment also...by John Ricks.

.375H&H on a Sako Finnbear action (not CRF though)
Pac-Nor SuperMatch Stainless barrel
Acrabond Laminated Bostogne Walnut stock
Barrel will be finished with Black Roguard
Action and internals treated with NP3
Leupold 6x42 (Big Stick's advice [Smile] )
Not sure about the scope bases and rings yet
NECG iron sights

I use a .375 currently and don't think a muzzle brake is necessary or desireable.

This will be my weather-proof rifle of choice for deer, moose, bear and whatever else comes along!

[Big Grin]

dave

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
My Alaska rifle is a Model 70 Winchester post 64 action in .358 STA with a Lilja stainless barrel, H&S precision stock with all the bells and whistles, mounted with a 4.5 X 14 Leupold Vari X III scope. It shoots a 270 grain North Fork bullet at 2950 fps and puts them in one hole if I do my part. [Wink] Good shooting.

[ 10-14-2003, 23:46: Message edited by: phurley ]

one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Not sure why you would want a fixed 6x for a rifle that may have to be used on a BIG BEAR? It would be okay if you were 30-40 yards but not so ok at 5-10 yards.

Saying you would take it off assumes that you will have time to do that.

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using a blued LH Ruger MkII .30-06 with an MPI glass stock and a Leupold 4x. I painted the exposed blued metal with Rustoleum ala Phil Shoemaker.

My bear rifle has been a stainless LH Browning Abolt .375 H&H wearing a Leupold 1x4 in Warne quick detachables for access to the irons. The Abolt is an accurate rifle that I don't like; I only bought it because it was a stainless LH .375.

I'm eagerly waiting for my MRC LH LA stainless barreled action to arrive. It will be a .375 H&H, 25" MR barrel, McMillan Supergrade stock w/Decelerator pad, Talley rings with Brockmans peep sight base and a fixed 2.5x Leupold.

Oughta work ok.

Posts: 99 | Location: Cordova Alaska | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gator1, if you're referencing my post..you have a good point. I haven't quite settled on the scope yet. I'm also considering a 3.5-10x40 or 1.75-6 for the very reason you mention.

dave

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
At the moment, I only have one centerfire ready to go. It's a VZ-24 mauser fit with a cheapy A&B 35 cal barrel. It started as a 35 whelen ackley, but was re-chambered to a 350 Rigby. Topped w/ 2.5X leupold and retaining the military trigger, I can put 3 hornady 250 gr rn into 5/8" when the leave the tube @ 2700 fps. It's stocked in a piece of bastogne walnut a friend donated to the cause. I'll have to see if I can dig up a photo of it.

Works in progress are a 500 Jeffrey on an P-14 enfield, that I need to stock, as well as make a magazene and tweak the feed rails.

I also just sent John Rick's another VZ-24 that will be fit to a Ruger #1H 458 takeoff barrel, that will be chambered as a 458 Lott. I need an island deer rifle [Big Grin]

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Bus Master,

I'd recommend the Remington over the Browning A-Bolt. Buy one already chambered in 375H&H, replace the trigger group, mount your scope, and go hunting.

I've heard very good things about the fixed power Leupold, and don't feel the lack of lower power will hinder your performance. While I make darn sure to have my 2.5-8X Leupold set at it's lowest setting at all times, I truly don't plan on using it at the short ranges (5-10 yards) mentioned above. Just the time it would take to pop the scope covers would be too long. Quick detatchable scope mounts, with iron sights, is a much better plan. My rifle is set up that way, and it only takes a couple seconds, before moving into heavy cover, to remove the scope.

Good luck...

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BW:
Bus Master,

I'd recommend the Remington over the Browning A-Bolt. Buy one already chambered in 375H&H, replace the trigger group, mount your scope, and go hunting.

I've heard very good things about the fixed power Leupold, and don't feel the lack of lower power will hinder your performance. While I make darn sure to have my 2.5-8X Leupold set at it's lowest setting at all times, I truly don't plan on using it at the short ranges (5-10 yards) mentioned above. Just the time it would take to pop the scope covers would be too long. Quick detatchable scope mounts, with iron sights, is a much better plan. My rifle is set up that way, and it only takes a couple seconds, before moving into heavy cover, to remove the scope.

Good luck...

OK, before I get on a roll with the Browning, why is it you recommend the Remington instead?
Note that I am the consumate rookie 'hunter', but not a stranger to firearms, so I gotta ask a lot of questions before I spend my $$$.

I like the idea of the fixed power scope on this gun. The Remington Custom Shop gun will have NO BUIS and will be a blind 3-shot magazine, to boot.
A bit lighter than the A-Bolt, but totally familiar in my hands.
It helps a lot to ask questions here and I appreciate the different points of view.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second the call for a lw power scope I have 4 2.5x fixed leupolds and ther great. I am also very fond of my 1-4x20 leupold I have on my .375 H&H, which is a cz 550 by the way and thats the way I would jump IMHO.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my personal use... I seem to always end up hunting either in the scrub or out on the tundra. This is my mixed back;

For up close I have to lever guns I like, both Browning’s. One, a 1886 Carbine converted to .45-90 WCF and the other, a 1895 rebarreled to 9.3x62mm. Both are big medicine when given the right fodder...

For open stuff I use a Win pre-64 .264 Win Mag and a nice custom FN-98 Mauser in 7x64 Brenneke. Both are scoped with variable 3-9x's. They both get out there well to give those beasts a spanking...

For a mixed bag hunt where I might be in and out of the scrub and expect to get harassed by bears, I use a Winchester pre-64 .375 H&H Mag which carries a fixed 2.5x with quick detach mounts. I'm now building up another custom FN-98. I think it will either be another 9.3x62mm or the new Sako 9.3x66mm also with a quick detach 2.5x scope and express sights.

For small game and varmints I have my trusty 12 ga. along with a Winchester 9422M in .22 WMRF with a fixed 6x scope. This rifle is a real tack driver and will shoot good ammo under an inch at 100 yds. I also have a nice Winchester 53 in .44 WCF that's about the most accurate lever action center fire I've owned. For this one, I have the barrel sight zeroed for 75 yds and the flip up tang sight zeroed for 150 yds. I load it with 240 grainers because it seems to shoot them the best.

For just plain fun, I have a Winchester 94 in .38-55 WCF and a couple of nice double .500-3 1/4" BPE's. If I ever go bear hunting again, maybe I'll use one of the .500's (double smoking sticks) for nostalgia. Looks like I might have to think about getting a long-range varmint rig also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For Caribou hunting on the Tundra I am using a Mauser 98 rebarreled and chambered in 270 Winchester or a WBY Vanguard in 300 WBY both with Burris 3X9X40 Fullfield scopes with the Ballistic Plex reticle.

For closer things I am using one of the new Remington 673's in 350 Rem. Mag with a Burris Compact 2X7 or a Husqvarna 96 Mauser chambered in 9.3X57 and iron sights.

Still waiting for a 500 S&W but have bought brass, diea and bullets and have loaded 100 rounds for when I do finally get my hands on one.

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well...I am a poor meat hunter, who only has and uses one big game rifle. This rifle is a Ruger M77 MK-II in .338WM, topped with a Leupold Vary-X III 2.5-8x.

I often hunt while raining in September when the temperatures drop to around 28 degrees during the night, so it is made of stainless steel. This rifle may not be pretty, but it is a very lucky hunting tool. It has gotten me a moose each year since I bought it (except for last year), and most have dropped to one well placed shot. I have been using Lubalox coated 230-grain FS bullets, but two years ago I used a 250-grain Partition, and this year I used a 225-grain XLC followed 250-grain A-frame. The shot with the 225 grainer was not lethal, but the 250 grainer dropped it fast.

[ 10-15-2003, 08:12: Message edited by: Ray, Alaska ]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I have a rem 700 375 ultra ss/syn with a 3x9 leo compact on it. For starters my hunting loads will be 270 failsafes.
I am toying with the idea of having the whole package camo painted , putting a badger bolt knob on it and replacing the trigger . Maybe a answer or vias brake while leaving the bbl 26" (I really don't like brakes cause of the noise).

Definately putting a f990 Pachmeyer pad on it though.

I would like to get a light handy sheep rifle too I am thinking of a 270 wsm in win 70 black shadow.

Also I really like the win mod 70 super grade in 300 win or 338 win but I'm afraid if I got one of them I might not use anything else. [Big Grin] (except for deer hunting in the ocean breeze I'd take something that I wont be upset if it gets some rust on it).

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
The rifle I use for all of my Alaska hunting is a Winchester Classic SS in .338 win. It wears a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8 and a McMillan Featherweight stock. For the big stuff I use 250 Noslers and for caribou and such it loves factory 225gr Sierra Pro hunters. Since I started using this rifle I haven't hunted with any of my other rifles. It just feels "right" when shouldered, which I'm sure is due mostly to the McMillan stock. To me it offers the perfect balance of range, power and portabilty. The only thing I plan on changing is to get the scope rings and bases coated as they seem to always get a little rusty at the end of the fall.

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
BusMaster007 wrote...

quote:
OK, before I get on a roll with the Browning, why is it you recommend the Remington instead?
Note that I am the consumate rookie 'hunter', but not a stranger to firearms, so I gotta ask a lot of questions before I spend my $$$.

...in reply to my post.

Actually BusMaster007, I'm not a huge fan of Remingtons either. [Smile] I'm a Winchester M70/Ruger MkII/Mauser fan. I do own a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker and have hunted with it on several rough hunts. It helped me take a Mt. Goat on Kodiak many years ago. The only reason I bought it was because it was stainless and left-handed. Since then I have read too many acounts of these rifles failing to fire after being exposed to severe S.E. Alaska elements for several days. I've seen pictures of one Browning barrel split lengthwise like a cartoon rifle, and another one that was cracked (this in real life, not a picture) and ready to do the same thing. The 'pot-metal' looking parts, do little for my confidence these days, after learning a little more about other rifle brands. Plus I've learned to appreciate a machine that operates with fewer moving parts than most, and Browning seems to have a LOT of parts compared to many other brands.

The only failures I've heard about with Remingtons is the factory trigger disconnector problem which has been much discussed here and other gun forums. Also an occasional failed extractor, but that seems to be mostly from lack of cleaning.

So, in responding to your question, I responded with 'Remington' as my suggestion. Notice I didn't bring in my favorite rifle brand, or list all my rifles, I simply answered your question as asked. [Smile]

If you prefer the Browning A-Bolt, that's fine. Mine worked for me, but I've lost that all important faith in it, for hunting in Alaska. They seem popular with the tree-stand folks down south, and it makes sense to me, since if it fails there, the hunters goes home that night and gets another rifle. Not usually an option for a serious Alaska hunt though. [Smile]

Hope that helps!

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gator1:
Not sure why you would want a fixed 6x for a rifle that may have to be used on a BIG BEAR? It would be okay if you were 30-40 yards but not so ok at 5-10 yards.

Saying you would take it off assumes that you will have time to do that.

Gator1
Just learn to shoot with both eyes open...
No problem getting on the target.
Regards
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Well, not to knock of your choices, I too am not a fan of either for the money.....IMO.

This going to sound behind the times, but my main rifle I use for the last 7 years of hunting has been the old 30/06. Depending on the game, I up & down the bullet & charge weight. Of course the rifle is not old fashion:

Model 70 SS Classic LH / McMillian Stock / Leupold Vari-x II 3x9.

When I get in the mood in a hunt I will break out my 338, but not as much the older I get. Just not as fun as my 30/06.

[ 10-16-2003, 00:07: Message edited by: CK ]

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
re; scopes:

for big bear, the loopy 1.75-6x is an excellent choice. especially, for in the thick, where many bears are taken. most guides will limit cleints shots to 100 yds. or less for a variety of reasons. 150 yds at the outside , for proven marksman.

some guides would not even take a hunter a field with a fixed 6x. a bad idea. limited field of view up close, can be life threatening. especially, if the scope is not detachable for quick access to back up open sites. a fixed power scope of this type of hunt is not a good idea, limits your options.

on my b.b. hunt, (successful in a big way)my guide was very particular about the gun setup. a scope with a low end of no more than 3x is the way to go. while still having enough power to shoot 100 yds. do u need 6x for 100 yds, i don't think so. i.m.h.o.

cold zero [Wink]

one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
Wow.
A little more information and a lot more confusion! [Eek!] [Confused] [Big Grin]
This is what it takes to build a special gun, though.
More catalog time and spec sheet study is in order.

What made the Browning A-Bolt misfire?
What split the bbl. on this brand of rifle? Curious.

Re the guides and their specific 'I'll take you hunting if you have that kind of gun/scope'...
Is there a source to look for on the internet where those things might be posted?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm courious to know what you Alaska guys think of this creation. It is a m70 classic with a light 16.25" barrel chambered in a 458 WSM wildcat. The rifle weighs 6.5 lbs even with no scope. I had a scope on it but dicided it went against the original idea. Small, light, simple, and powerful. I am still working up loads. The case holds about as much powder as a 458 WIN MAG. I thought it would be a good bear gun.
Photo Gallery with pics of 458 Noveske (wsm)

Posts: 135 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 07 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two people on another forum who hunt a lot of the same terrain/types of animals I do (and have a lot more experience doing it) love their 6x42 Leupolds...I'm going to give it a try.

I suspect I'll be converted. If not, I'll just get a new scope [Big Grin]

dave

Nice rifle John...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A stainless Winchester in .375 topped with a matte finish leupold fixed power 2.5x would be tough to beat for Alaska.

If you could find an old stock style Ruger in .338, that too seems to be a favorite of our northern brothers. These guns are pretty near indestructable!

No reason to go nuts spending a boatload of money on something that will hopefully get the S&!T beat out of it on many a hunting trip!

JMHO,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
RMiller
One Of Us
Member # 5875

posted 10-15-2003 08:24
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to get a light handy sheep rifle too I am thinking of a 270 wsm in win 70 black shadow.

Look in the For Sale forum. Have one in 270 WSM and 300 WSM in the new Super Shadow controlled round push feed version. [Smile]

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jnrifleworks:
I'm courious to know what you Alaska guys think of this creation. It is a m70 classic with a light 16.25" barrel chambered in a 458 WSM wildcat. The rifle weighs 6.5 lbs even with no scope. I had a scope on it but dicided it went against the original idea. Small, light, simple, and powerful. I am still working up loads. The case holds about as much powder as a 458 WIN MAG. I thought it would be a good bear gun.
Photo Gallery with pics of 458 Noveske (wsm)

Nice work and a great website.
That little .458 is cool.
BTW, I found a link for the Alaska Hunters here:
http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/

[ 10-15-2003, 20:45: Message edited by: BusMaster007 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend the Rem AWR Click here to take a look.

Of the Brownings mentioned, I'd get the Stainless Stalker and have it Tefloned, Robared or Black-T'd, whichever you like best.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
The AWR and Mountain Rifle are under consideration, with the MR being favored for the lower inital cost, leaving room for the optics/mounts.
I can always paint the stock black... [Smile]
My concern over the statements made re the fixed power scope and the requirement for open sights vs. back-up scope led me to search for the link I posted.
I'm wondering how many guides actually have a list of requirements for the firearm/equipment that a client must use to avail them of their services.
It seems a little weird that a guide would dictate what gun the client must use in order to take the clients money, you know? [Confused]

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
quote:
What made the Browning A-Bolt misfire?
What split the bbl. on this brand of rifle? Curious.

The Guide who related the misfire episodes to me stated that the trigger group was corroded. Probably due to the excess number of parts, and the fact that they were made from dissimular metals.

The stainless steel barrel on my Browning A-Bolt was one of my favorite things about that rifle. It seemed to resist those tiny corrosion pits that all rifles (even stainless) develope better than my Winchester stainless steel rifles. But, I suspect there maybe some sort of manafacturing defect in the barrels which caused at least two of them to split.

About scopes...

I spend a lot of time in Brown bear territory, either hunting bears, or blacktail. My wife and I were out Monday deer hunting and hiking a trail which runs along a salmon stream on it's way up to the muskeg. We saw lot's of bear sign (tracks, scat, half eaten fish, and that smell that you smell sometimes which just screams 'bear!' [Wink] ) I considered removing my scope, but decided that a longer shot at a deer might be a possibility. It's fairly common to hear stories of hunters shooting at a charging bear by looking over the scope, not through it. That was also my mindset. You can't shoot charging bears 50 yards out and still claim 'defense-of-life' with the ADF&G. It's going to be close, and a snap shot will likely be all you get. No time to pop scope covers then. All this talk about a fixed 6 power scope being unsuitable is news to me. They seem popular with Alaskans.

If a Guide won't let you hunt with a Leupold 6x42mm scope, then find another Guide...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one has said, that a guide won't let u hunt with a fixed 6x power.
I said that it is a poor choice for b.b. in the thick. What is the advantage to a fixed power scope? reliability, not so with todays quality control. weight , minimal difference. Those days are long over, with variable scopes fogging/leaking. Most guides use and want their clients to use, a low power variable. i.e. 1-4x, 1.75-6x, 2.5-8x. i'm with gator 1 on this one.

Some guides either know someone who has been mauled or have had a close call themselves. hence the big firepower they carry. A wide field of view, when terrified is to be considered an advantage, not the tunnel vision provided by medium power scopes at close range. Different applications, different power ranges. 6x is better for sheep/goat/deer.

Guides do not want hunters coming up from the lower 48 with their deer rifles for big bear, i.e. .270, 7mm, .30-.06, etc. They want u to shoot the biggest gun u can handle. Many outfitters say .338 is a good minimum. Mine did and i think that he is right. The punishment a big b.b. can take is remarkable. Guys who have not taken b.b., think that they can use lighter calibers to the same good effect as the bigger guns, not so.

The rem' mountain rifle is very good. the new rem titanium 700 may be as good if being limited to .30-.06 is not a problem. i recently shot one and it shot well right out of the box, recoil was stout, due to the light weight. But, i did like it.
The a.w.r. is great, but for that $, spend a few bucks more and go custom. The browning a- bolt, is not as accurate from the factory as the r700. the q-control is not as good and neither are the tolerances. Remington , still makes the most accurate out of the box hunting rifle.

The remington action is the simplest, most accurate, reliable action on the market, combat proven. That is why most sniper/tactical/custom rifles are built around that action than any other.
I agree with the above, about the less moving parts, the better and dissimlar metals being an invitation to trouble.

For anything other than moose, big bears, i use a custom .300 w.m. with zeiss 3.5-10x44, 24" lothar walther barrel with slimline muzzle brake in stainless steel with teflon coating on all metal surfaces built around a blueprinted/skeletonized r700 a.d.l. action, stock is textured kevlar 1 lb with blind magazine and packmayer decelerator, gun is all camoed out, trigger rem' at 3 lbs. crisp no over travel. With sling, 2 bullets, scope covers, removable cheek ammo holder 7 lbs. ready to go. shoots .5 m.o.a. all the way out.

to date: victims include.
caribou
mule deer
dall sheep
sitka deer

4 animals, 4 shots.....

good hunting to all.

cold zero [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bus--Have you considered the weatherby's? The .340 with a 2-7 variable--pushing 250 gr. nosler partitions at around 3000 fps should be a good all around alaskan gun for whatever you run into.

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'd venture to say that the most popular hunting rifle based on durability and price is Rugers all weather ss/syn in either the 300 or 338 win mag. They are well made durable guns, and reasonably accurate. Personally I'd opt for the 338. There are darn few scenarios that call for more then a 250 gr @ 2700 fps. In those intances, my choice would be a 165 gr X @ 3300 fps from a 300 win mag, or for more a authority, a 40 or 45 caliber 350-400 gr @ 2400 fps. Lots of other ways to go, but I think those cover the basics quite nicely.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
Is it just me, or have several of you guys done the loop-de-loop on this kind of a gun-quest and come back full-circle to something you had in mind in the first place, but were steered another direction for awhile?

Case in point is my original thought was to build a, ahem, excuse me, a 'Tactical .375'... [Big Grin]
Yes, I'm a maniac and I love Black Rifles!
The idea was to get a Remington 700 and freak it out my way.
I'd know it, love it, and it would be fun as hell to own and shoot.
The A-Bolt idea is really cool, but, it's getting to be more of an 'adjustment' rifle the further along I go in planning it out.
The Remington, on the other hand, already has a $hitload of accessories available or living in my gunsafe... [Wink]
Round and round and round she goes...!
Keep talking about your setups, though, 'cuz it's really good stuff to read.

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
I think your question has now been answered. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
1) woohoo, no more lurking, my first post (that was supposed to be sarcastic, sorry).

2) the thing about the mountains and wilderness areas that intriques me most is the complete inability to predict the circumstances in which you will be called on to shoot game. That fact alone dictates that whatever you are shooting be capable and flexible.

3) I'm not a big predator hunter (unless its a cat, I hate cats), I'd rather not be the "hunted" in a situation, but for an all-around mountain rifle only one standard cartridge really stands out to me, the 257wby.... my only issue is with the weatherby action, I'm not big on puch-feeds, that makes a custom a requirement... I'd expect a custom stainless/synthetic based on a Mauser-type action to be entering my stable of available arms in the near future. a VX-3 (x-12x50)or similar optics would round out the package nicely.

4) for bigger critters, I love the 338-378 and 30-378, but I refuse to burn through $4 every time I pull the trigger... so something like a 338 mag or 375 H&H built on a Model 70 Super Grade is a likely culprit. VX-3 2-7x33 on top, although, I'd be tempted to leave the sights open on that rifle...

5) wow, that was a long first post... be gentle! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
just realized how poorly I addressed the original quesiton...

the 375 seems a bit overkill for deer of any sort IMO, even elk and moose.

but anyway, I'd remmington, even though I can't stand them! I like the Brownings even less.... at least my ADL shoots straight... well, sorta.

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BW:
I think your question has now been answered. [Smile]

"...ahhhh, and now, the 'RedHeadedWhiteBoy' walks among the Alaskan Wilderness Creatures with his Remington 700, clarity of thought in his mind, and peace in his Soul..." [Big Grin]