Find
Notify
Tools

Acquiring firearms in Alaska
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi folks,

As part of my work I may be seconded to work in Anchorage AK for the next couple of years. I am of British citizenship but currently resident in South Africa. I am a very keen hunter and shooter, and I own a selection of rifles, shotguns and handguns, and consider myself competent with all three types. I reload for everything except shotgun. Rifles go from 22lr thru 222, 6mm, 308 up to 375 H&H, handguns 45ACP to 44Mag.

What would I need to do to get into the shooting sports up there? First choice would be to import my guns, 2nd prize to buy what I need there.

Cheers,
Pete

If Chuck Norris dives into a swimming pool, he does not get wet. The swimming pool gets Chuck Norris.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,

This below may help. Also check with the Alaska F&G as I think as a non-resident alien you will need a guide for about everything except fishing.

Mark

You will need to obtain a permit for a non-permanent importation by using the following form:

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-3d.pdf

"Non-Immigrant Alien
A foreign national temporarily in the U.S. A non-immigrant alien may obtain an approved ATF F 5330.3D (Form 6 NIA) to temporarily import firearms and ammunition (other than firearms subject to the controls of the National Firearms Act (NFA) for lawful hunting activities, to attend a qualified shooting event, or for exhibition at a qualified trade show. The event or trade show must be sponsored by a national, State or local firearms organization devoted to the collection, competitive use, or other sporting use of firearms. The non-immigrant alien must attach to his or her Form 6 (NIA) permit application, as appropriate, a copy of a valid hunting license or permit issued to him or her by a jurisdiction within the U.S., a copy of his or her invitation to participate in a qualified hunting or shooting event, or a copy of his or her reservation for exhibiting at a qualified trade show. An approved Form 6 (NIA) will be valid for a period not to exceed 12 months, and may be used for multiple, temporarily importations of any or all of the items listed on the approved Form 6 (NIA) during that 12-month period. If the Form 6 (NIA) permit application approved by ATF was supported by attaching a copy of a qualified hunting license or permit, the non-immigrant alien will need to present both the approved Form 6 (NIA) and a valid, qualified hunting license or permit to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials at the time of each entry into the U.S. If the Form 6 (NIA) permit application was supported by attaching copies of more than one invitation or reservation to participate in qualified shooting competitions or exhibit at qualified trade shows, the non-immigrant alien may present the approved Form 6 (NIA) to CBP officials for multiple entries into the U.S., the number of which will be limited to the number of such documents attached to his or her approved import permit. 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5).

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote