Find
Notify
Tools

Unit 17 shares the wealth again
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted
My friend Joe from North Dakota came up again and we went out of Lake Beverly this year. I'll post in the Hunting Report forum soon, but for now heres where we made the poor choice of shooting a bull.

Heres a bear we came up with,

And who we went with,

Bugs were horrendous this year and the weather too warm but all in all it worked out.

Posts: 9215 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

the fun was certainly over after the moose photos, wasn't it. Nothing worse, not much anyway, than breaking a moose down in the water. No fun at all.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
oh wow... that's gotta be a nightmare...

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Scott, nice shot!! You should have asked, I would have loaned you my scuba gear. hilbily
Nice bull!

Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Not fun to be sure but also not as disasterous as one might think.

This was a first time for me. Picture if you will peeling the front and rear leg, ribs, half the neck tenderloin and the backstrap off of the up hill side of the bull. As you can see from the picture all this was out of the water and we simply flipped each piece into the zodiac.

Next we rolled the carcass over, peeled those two legs off and into the boat, same with the ribs and strap. by now the carcass was light enough to drag to shore and remove the neck and loin.

Fortunately the wind blew and the sun shone for the next two days so the meat dried nicely and there was no meat loss.

I'd rather not repeat the performance but if forced to it does seem possible with help.

Posts: 9215 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Great trophies! What were the dimensions of the bear?

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I don't know how big the bear was or is yet. I certainly could see he wasn't a bruiser before I shot but was hoping he was 8' or so. I think I'll be lucky if he goes that big. I'm just sure he's a typical 3 year old just kicked outta Momma's house. The rug will look nice of Joe's wall and heck, he could lie like a rug and tell everyone it came outta the Sawtooths in Wyoming!

I've got 30 days to get the bear sealed so I've got to get busy and go over to Fish and Game. I'll post the skull measurements when I do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ahhhhhh the memories. Smiler I shot a nice moose and bear on Lake Beverly in 2001. Was my first and only hunt in AK. Great time. Friking rained all the time. Flew in with a crazy pilot. Turbo otter.

Smiler
Ski

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

Kudos on the kills!~! thumb
You guys scored. That's what its all about.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Skull measured 22 5/8". A long way from a 28" B&C. I suppose theres next year.

Picture of BigRam$
posted Hide Post
Bull in the water, and the boat's not on step... Not the Scott I used to know.