New
Find
Notify
Tools

fjiord hunting for bown/grizz?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have seen several adverts for bear hunting in AK using a floating mother boat as a base and taking smaller boats out for spot and stalk type hunts. All the ones I have seen are for black bear. Is this type hunt done for brown bear or grizzly?

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
brown is grizzly, an yes it is a common practice for the coastal bears,AKA Brown Bears but the inlands are called that for a reason.
BTW there are other species that can be hunted from a "mother ship" than bear...Mt goat,sitka deer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems most of the guides using this technique are around Admiralty Island. I did one a few years ago with Jimmie Rosenbruch of Glacier Guides. There are others that hunt the same way. In the spring you watch for them on the beaches. In the fall you walk the salmon streams. I did the fall and would do the spring next.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
Seems most of the guides using this technique are around Admiralty Island....

They operate out of Kodiak as well.

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cats:
brown is grizzly, an yes it is a common practice for the coastal bears,AKA Brown Bears but the inlands are called that for a reason.

I'm not trying to be a smartass (I just am one), but I really don't understand what you're saying.

A couple of my hunting clients from the past have gone on the big boat hunt in Southeast. They both enjoyed it. The bonus is the fishing and fresh crab. I've been on a boat based hunt for deer on Kodiak. It's very comfortable camping too.

Ken

Posts: 141 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
I can recommend this guy...

ADAMS ALASKAN SAFARIS Dale Adams PO Box 6021 Sitkia AK 99835 (907)-747-6108

...he has a gorgeous 60ft+ boat that is in the slip across from mine. He is based in Sitka.

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alasken:
quote:
Originally posted by cats:

I'm not trying to be a smartass (I just am one), but I really don't understand what you're saying.

A couple of my hunting clients from the past have gone on the big boat hunt in Southeast. They both enjoyed it. The bonus is the fishing and fresh crab. I've been on a boat based hunt for deer on Kodiak. It's very comfortable camping too.

Ken

Both are grizzly bears. BB live near the coast interior grizzly live inland. BB are just large well fed grizzly with their own entry area into the record books

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes Cats, I do understand that they are geneticly the same critter. Both by weight and price tag they are much different. Thousand pounds roughly and ten grand roughly. Nonetheless, in my original question, I did not rule out the possibility of a grizz hunt from a rather large boat on some fresh water area as well as the more common BB hunts from salt water. Danke and wiedmanshiel.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
http://www.gasandtime.com

Can recommend this guy.

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D if you wish PM me with your contact imfo. I will forward it to my son whom runs charters from Cordova. He has recently added jetdrives to his fleet. with the intention of staying onboard the home ship and running up freshwater streams for bears...drainages others cannot access with outboards.
He does not post on this site and I do not feel it appropriate to ask Saeed for free advertisement in my posts.