Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska questions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
Well I am about to leave for Maine my 2nd to last installment in this 20 year Navy career. If I was up for shore duty I would be the Recruiter in Charge in Fairbanks, but since the Navy wants me to go to sea duty (we have to do a 50/50 split) I am off to Maine until 2011 then back to Alaska for the rest of my life.

I have been an Alaska resident since 1999 when I moved up to join the North Slope Borough Police Department. I decided that I might as well finish my Naval service then return with that retirement pension coming in so that has been the plan.

My question, sorry for all the intro BS is if you could live anyplace in Alaska where would you live and why? I am going to be a teacher after I get certified, I am about 50% done with a BA and I have enough time to finish it and probably get a masters.

So the plan is to teach, and if I decide I don't like that I should have enough education and experience to do a lot else.

I liked Sitka, Barrow didn't bother me if you were only living there 9 months a year, Kodiak would work, I was thinking about Dillingham, Tok, and Valdez.

I guess the ideal situation is to live someplace you would want to be year round. But it really doesn't matter.

Hunting wise Kaktovik, Anakutuvik Pass, Nome, Tok, Dillingham, and Sitka would be good. With places like Kaktovik and Bethel giving the most variety.

I doubt many folks in Alaska hunt every major species every year.

Well, what do you think?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
I'd go for Valdez. I've got a buddy who moved there from Sitka. Great fishing, good hunting and road access to the rest of Alaska (well, except S.E.)

<<MM>>

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love to connect up with you when you arrive as I live in Brunswick. PM me.

Jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Teaching is a good gig as it gives you the flexibility to live pretty much anywhere, though they've been moving up the school year which really messes with hunting season.

Personally I love fishing in saltwater and being out on the ocean, so it would be a SC or SE location. Kodiak is the one location that I've been too that I thought yeah I could live hear. The people there are great, it's got character, the fishing is phenominal and there is good hunting as well. I haven't been to SE, but would consider down there as well.

If you're more into hunting than fishing, than farther North is the way to go.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If my job allowed it, I would move to Tok so fast it wouldnt even be funny.

Winters can drag out but its all of that you make of it.

Around Tok is the only place I hunt, Have good friends there. So unless a job oppertunity comes up I gotta deal with the 6 hour drive here from anchorage.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tok is a nice place to be. I am a teacher and love it here. I grew up in the area, so know it very well. Not sure you want to come in as a teacher with a masters degree. Everyone is cutting corners with budgets and having masters only means you come in with a higher starting salary. Might want to work on that "after" you get a job. Smiler

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's not to love about our cosmic village by the sea, Homer??????????.......

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99, welcome back!

I'd vote for Nome, Cordova, Valdez, Dillingham, and Kodiak, in that order, for me personnaly. It really comes down to your preference for hunting vs fishing and tolerance for rain vs cold and prefered species. Ain't it GREAT to have choices like that!?

When do you think you'll be back? What are you favorite games animals/activities?

Regards,
Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I work for the northwest arctic brough school district out of Kotzebue . lots of hunting up here moose caribou,(5 aday) musk ok , traping and some great fishing . but I'd check into what each district has to offer with housing and cost living conditions(gas and feul oil $5.00 to $8.50 a gal), starting wage ( i believe $40,000 up here )and benefits . most places up here you might need a sno-go, a honda , boat it make the hunting and fishing easier.or try to vist the area's first to see if you like the people and the country side then go from there ,

remember the 2% rule you must be 2% smarter then what you are trying to do

Posts: 85 | Location: Kotzebue, Alaska | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have a million questions for you bush Alaska teachers if you don't mind pm-ing me.

I lived in Barrow and Sikta so I have a pretty good idea of what I am getting into.

Barrow and Sitka are metropolis' compared to a lot of places in the bush though.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
...,//., Not that I would want to live there on purpose again ..But Ketchikan has a tremendous amount to offer...Blackies, Brn bear , Mt Goat , moose, deer. Huge elk on Etolin/ Zarembo, ect ..Lots of wolves !! lots of dungies , king salmon ...An awesome run of early fall silvers out on The Face ,Halibut and other great bottom fish,.,And it can all be accessed in an 18 ft lund .... Wrangell is the same but with way fewer people ..... The primary detractors for me is the darkness.and high priced land.. and for most other people , the rain ......But I have quite a few years there and now I prefer the need for a beaver hat and down parka ,to a new pair of Ketchikan sneakers and a set of Grundens,,...What a great Quandry tho thumb

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Might want to take a look at Seward or maybe even Cantwell.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muskegex
posted Hide Post
I also like the Ketchikan area. You got Prince of Wales Island or the mainland Misty to go play in.

When I draw the Ketchikan Mt Goat tag I will just hike from my house and tag a nice Goat. How many people can do that !!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 134 | Location: ketchikan | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote