New
Find
Notify
Tools

POW plans
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I made the reservations on the Alaska marine highway and the inter-island-ferry last night so now I'm commited to go and nothing is stopping now. The plan - I'm leaving Oly, on the 28th and driving my truck with a camper to Prince Rupert and catching the ferry the 30th heading to Ketchikan then the next day on the ferry to Prince of Wales.I'll drive to Klawock, buy my hunting license and bear tag then head up to Staney Bridge camp ground and unload the camper. 9 days to hunt and fish then start the trip home. This hunt is realy a big dead for me, I,ve never been able to get away for that long befor or that far away. I can't wait.
Jamie

Posts: 109 | Location: Washington | Registered: 18 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck, You will have a blast

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
POW is an interesting island. I've worked on the design of several road projects there, but I've never had the chance to hunt on the island. There are some very large blacktails on the island. I believe the karst topography (rock and soils with a lot of calcium) help contribute to good antler growth. I also like the smell of the red and yellow cedar forests which are quite prolific.

If you haven't got one already, I'd get your hands on a USFS map of the island. You can order one from the POW Chamber of Commerce for $6.50. I have one sitting on the wall in my office. Here's a link to order one:

POW Chamber of Commerce

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

I will be up there this August,I am getting all the ends tied up now,will rent 4wheel and cabin. I will fish no hunting as I will also look for land will be moving there end of this year,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I already got a forest service map and have talked to a few people up there. I think I have preety much everything worked out. I'm going to have to stay in Ketchikan over night on the trip up there, so I have to find a place to park for the night.

Jamie

Posts: 109 | Location: Washington | Registered: 18 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jamie - as far as a place to park for the night, I believe here in Alaska you can pull off the road in almost any location to spend the night as long as you are not blocking the entrance / exit to a home or business. Not sure of the actual law / statute, but during the summer you will find campers / motorhomes / autos parked at nearly all the "pull offs" along the roadways so folks can catch some sleep. Enjoy your trip, sounds like a good one! KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jamie, look on a map and locate "12 mile arm". It is about 15 miles from Klawok and it was loaded with some real nice bears when I was there last year. Have fun.

Posts: 54 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tommy. thanks for the tip. What time of year where you there?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck and I are headed over to the cabin this afternoon.

We will get out and take a look to see what we can come up with.

Posts: 27 | Location: ketchikan | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jamie, I was there in Sept. for the fall hunt, but from what I hear many hunters had great luck at 12 mile arm for the spring hunt. Last year more bears were taken in the spring there than in the fall and the average skull size was also larger so you should be in for a great hunt!

Posts: 54 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've read a lot about Prince of Wales and I wondered if anyone has had any luck out of the public use cabins for spring bear?