New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel to Haines, AK
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be traveling to Haines at the end of October and I'm having trouble finding a commercial airline that flys in and out of there. Can anyone tell me what airlines to seek?

Also, was mentioned to me to fly in and out of Juneau and take a ferry to Haines because the ferry is not weather dependant like a plane. Does this ferry service have a website to view it's schedules?

Thanks

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Teo sites to check out:
http://www.alaskaferry.com

The official state site:
http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.shtml

The ferry is a great way to travel, timing your arrival to meet the ferry is the challenge. Juneau is the closest point, but if you have some extra time try visiting Sitka; a wonderful experience.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have done the ferry trip many times between haines and Juneau. I agree the ferry will be the certain way to get to haines. You need to fly to Juneau and either fly or ferry from there to Haines. Road access is from the alaska highway via whitehorse/haines Junction Yukon. You could fly to Whitehorse too and rent a vehicle and it is a 5-6 hr drive. The weather in October in Juneau can be miserable with lots of rain and fog. I am not sure of the flight delays going into there but the commercial jets seem to do ok.
there is a small airline which flies Juneau to haines. It is not expensive. I will find the link and post it.
October is coho fishing time in Haines in the chilkat and chilcoot rivers.
Check web site http://airexcursions.com/, and also look up wings of alaska web site..
watson lake

Posts: 326 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great info everyone. This is a huge help. Thank you.

I'm thinking of possibly flying into Juneau on Saturday 10/30, spending the night then catching the ferry on 10/31 to Haines. Would you know of a hotel/motel in Juneau that has a shuttle service from the airport back to their place, then the next morning to the ferry?

Thanks

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are 4-5 hotels by the airport in Juneau. They have shuttle service to the hotel. I do not know if they have a shuttle to the ferry terminal, but the ferry is about 5 miles from the airport area. It would not be a very expensive taxi ride there. Tom

Posts: 30 | Location: Juneau Alaska | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have stayed at the super 8 in juneau..
Not far from the airpoort.
If you have some time go stay downtown and walk the old section of Juneau.
Watson Lake..

Posts: 326 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend 'Grandma's Feather Bed Inn, run by Best Western. Real feather beds, big sauna type tubs. No too good if you're traveling with kids though.

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just me going on this goat trip. It can't come soon enough.

Thanks again

Craig

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it'd be almost a crime not to spend a little time walking thru junea. just gotta have a cookhouse burger & a alaskan amber beer

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Air Excursions - (907) 789-5591 (may not have regular scheduled service to Haines)

Wings of Alaska - (907) 789-0790 Most likely has daily scheduled service to Haines.

There's some pretty cool stuff to in J-town. Hiked up to the top of the aerial tram after work on Friday with my bino's and spotter. Found 15 goats on Mt. Juneau. Nanny with a kid that couldn't have been more than a couple of days old.

Wx in October can be very squirrely. Probably best to go on the Blue Canoes (displacement ferrys, not the fast ferry).

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am trying to remember the name of the bar in Juneau that has the halibut hanging from the ceiling?
Watson lake.

one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Watson Lake:
I am trying to remember the name of the bar in Juneau that has the halibut hanging from the ceiling?
Watson lake.

Red Dog Saloon -

"Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass." Mark Twain - Chris - IYAOYAS!

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote