THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Alaskans, 500 Smith & Wesson Magnum for you?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaskans, 500 Smith & Wesson Magnum for you?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CK
posted

Question:
I have sub-come to the data. The 500 S&W Magnum is the king of the hill in brute power in handguns. So yes, this Alaskan has a 4 inch 500 S&W Magnum partly because it is a brute and it is up to the job if I do my part, but to tell you the truth, the 500 S&W Mag literally is a BLAST to shoot. At first, I thought no way in hell I would own one until I shot one. After five rounds and blowing away the target, it completely changed my attitude. Nothing meant by this poll other then seeing how much a 500 S&W Magnum has brain washed me. nut So, what are you?

Choices:
A 500 S&W Magnum owner?
Would consider buying one?
Interested?
Could care less...
No thanks!

"Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass." Mark Twain - Chris - IYAOYAS!

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CK:
I have sub-come to the data. The 500 S&W Magnum is the king of the hill in brute power in handguns. So yes, this Alaskan has a 4 inch 500 S&W Magnum partly because it is a brute and it is up to the job if I do my part, but to tell you the truth, the 500 S&W Mag literally is a BLAST to shoot. At first, I thought no way in hell I would own one until I shot one. After five rounds and blowing away the target, it completely changed my attitude. Nothing meant by this poll other then seeing how much a 500 S&W Magnum has brain washed me. nut So, what are you?

Mine is the .454 Casull, but must Alaskans pack the .44 Magnum.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Very true Ray on the 44 Mag, including myself about 5 years ago. I have since sold it off and obtained this 500 S&W. Just thought it would interesting to see how the 500 S&W has caught on in Alaska from the short time it's been out on the market.

"Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass." Mark Twain - Chris - IYAOYAS!

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sold my .454 Casull a while back and now carry a .45Colt w/handloads.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I have yet to handle or fire one, so I can't make an honest assessment. I have handled and fired many 475 and 500 Linebaughs, as well as 454's. I settled on the 480, I figure if 400 gr @ 1200 fps isn't enough, it's rifle time. I'm not willing to carry a heavier/bulkier gun, and I'd still like to get a second one and cut it down to 5".

Shoot the biggest gun you can accurately shoot, and shoot it well. I find the 480 is my limit, feels like a big 44 mag, and uses the same powder charges, but pushes bullets 1/3 heavier almost the same velocity, ie 44 mag 21 gr H-110 300 gr cast 1300 fps, 480 21 gr H-110 400 gr 1200 fps.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Paul,

I see your point, I guess I could reduce the loads in the 500 S&W also. A reduced load to 1200 fps with a 400 gr. bullet could be a interest load in this revolver. Like you said, "Big guns can be loaded down to little gun levels".

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I shot a 10" 500 S&W it was fun but at $2.00 a pop expensive. I own a 44 & a 454, but am waiting on the 460 to be more avilable.

To answer your question if I had the bucks I would love to have the Alaskan 500 also.

To many guns and to little money.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul:

I think I would rather carry your .458 Lott (if I remember correctly, that is a gun you have)....The mere thought fending off a pissed-off brown bear at close range with a handgun will give me bad dreams Wink...I think I am going to buy a .458 Lott and pretend it is a .454 Casull...I still have a little adrenaline in me from being next to a dead brown bear...the thought of fighting one of these animals with a handgun sounds, well, like an unfair fight and the bear is not the one being taken advantage of...

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Robert,

Yes I have a 458 Lott, and a 500 Jeffrey as well. If I intend to pick a fight with a bear, or have reason to think that might occur, one of those will be with me. That said, I just don't carry a rifle with my everywhere, especially those times when I figure a bear encounter is unlikely.

I do generally carry the 480 whenever out and about. I look at it this way, 400 gr @ 1200 fps is the minimum I have confidence will be of some use if I have a furry encounter of the undesireable kind. The 7 1/2" SRH is the biggest gun I'll comfortably carry all day, though I'll admit I'd really like to cut it down to 5", but it shoots way to well for me to mess with it. So once I find a used 480 at a good price, I'll get it and cut it down.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul: I know that there are plenty of times when I am fishing or working when a large handgun might be appropriate (they are easy to carry)...but I just do not have the confidence in a handgun that many folks do...most of my partners and collegues have and carry either a .44 or a .454. I carry a Rem 870 or my .416 Wby if I am goofing off in the summer in places where most folks carry a handgun..

While I made a smiley face and said that I'll pretend one gun is another in my previous post, I ment everything I said, including the bad-dream remark regarding handguns. No one wants to pick a fight with a bear, but if an attack does occur I have concluded that I would be better off with 12 gauge slugs or a large bore rifle. Most folks carry these big handguns to ward off attacks but I choose to carry something else. I also think the best bear defense is to work at preventing unwanted encounters, which is something that can be learned and practiced, and then have a gun available as insurance.

I think there is a .500 Jefferys for sale over at Great Northern...that is a big-barreled gun.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Confident is a relative term, and I mean that in all honesty. I figure the 480 is powerful to be worth carrying, and is better then a rifle I don't have with me. In addition to the 4 footed furry creatures, there are the two legged miscreants as well.

The real issue with handguns isn't power, it is shooting ability. The vast majority of folks aren't comepent shots with handguns, and given my state of lack of practice, I'll include myself in that group. I've seen alot of guys shooting their "bear guns" at the range, and they have no business carrying one for self defense. That doesn't count the even larger percentaget that don't practice at all. It is much better to be unarmed and cautious, then armed and foolish.

I agree, don't do stupid things in bear country, and your chances of a bad encounter are almost nil.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul: I agree 110% with everthing you said here. I see why you are the Moderator here.

As you suggest, my lack of confidence is based on what I know about my personal skills with a handgun, and not the handgun itself. To me handguns have only one asset: they are small and easy to carry, and that is an asset that I cannot take advantage of easily. I cannot hit a dame thing with these weapons under most circumstances. But give me any rifle, and things change...I actually shoot a rifle better at moving targets free hand (similar to shotgun style on pheasants) with no rest than I do shooting at stationary targets using lousy rests (like on a log). I do use Harris bipods and love them...but handguns, I can't shoot them and I simply acknowldge that.

Robert Jobson

one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
I was finally able to break out the chronograph and do some real life testing with 4 inch 500 S&W. I use some factory ammo that was 400gr. MAGTECH advertised at 1600 FPS from a 10 inch barrel. Here's what I got with my 4 inch 500 S&W. 5 shot velocity average of 1330 FPS @ 10 foot from the muzzle. With the minus of 6 inches of barrel equals 45 FPS per inch loss. On top of that, Smith & Wesson does one heck of a job sighting in because I never had to touch the sights. It's dead on at 25 yards. I will confess that I did shoot 20 rounds in a matter of 30 minutes......with a shooting glove. What a world of difference a glove makes when you want to shoot multiple rounds with the 500 S&W off the bench. beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
CK, I got some load info from Craig Parker (well known local gun guy here in Anchorage) for my 454 Casull 6 1/2" Raging Bull. He recommended Ace Dube 355 grain hardcast lead bullets and load them with 31 grains of W296 (after starting with 24 gr and working my way up). Took them to the range and chronied them. Shot 5 shots, there was not anywhere near any pressure signs. Craig told me I couldn't load it hot enough to blow up the gun for the primer is only good for a certain amt of powder and you would start seeing unburned powder in your barrel. Its true for I saw a bit of it with 31 grains. Anyway, the 5 shot group averaged 1650 fps. My first round was 1698 fps. That's pretty darn good bear fodder in my books for a handgun. I now carry a 5" Raging Bull (sold the 6 1/2") 454 Casull now and have practiced enough with it (with that load but different quality hard cast lead bullets for Ace Dube is out of business) to feel pretty confident I'd hit my target. I wouldn't mind having a 500 or a 460 but can't afford one so I'm happy with my 454, its a great cartridge for bear protection as the 500 and 460 will prove to be I'm sure.
choke.

Posts: 467 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To heavy for an aircraft gun. In my flying weight is at a premium. Helicopter Pilot. I carry a 22 cal rifle and two boxes of ammo. I'm more interested in securing small game for food, rather than bear charges.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote