New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 IN ALASKA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Someday I'll make it to AK for a hunt. I'm kicking around the thought of re-chambering a 300WSM Savage into a 338WSM.

What are your thoughts for this caliber in AK?? General all around hunting.

Yes, SS rifle, and yes, it's not a controlled round feed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Biscuit:
Your question piqued my curiosity so I ran some numbers thru Quickload. QL lists the .338/.300 WSM and no straight .338 WSM. I will assume QL's selection is correct. QL shows 80.0 grs. of H2O case capacity and a Max Pressure of 64000 PSI. It recommends not loading over 90% of max. which would be 57600 PSI.
I had QL run a load table and assumed 57600 PSI and a 225 gr. bullet - I chose NorthFork since I use that one in my .338 Win. Mag. and think very highly of it.
The bottom line was that 2800 fps is doable with slower powder and still not be over 57600 PSI. I should add, FWIW, that I personally have found QL's predictions off by quite a bit at least regarding my .270 WSM.
As mentioned above, I've used the 225 gr. NF quite succesfully here in Ak. in my .338 Mag. and I get 2800 fps safely. I'd say you should go for it if you want and think it would be a very good round for what you wish to do. Good luck & keep us posted on your progress.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
I think the 338 is a great "all rounder" for AK. I personally don't care for the Shorts, but to each his own.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
325 WSM?

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Why not just do it right and get a 338 wig mag, and avoid any short mag version? If you're in a remote area and need to get ammo, chances are you can find win mag ammo, but highly unlikely to find any short mag ammo. Besides, the win mag fits in a standard length action, and the short mags doesn't do anything that the old standard didn't already.

Posts: 3916 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The choice over the 325WSM is likely the bullet selection.

BISCUT: I've heard there can be feeding issues otherwise I would think the 338WSM is a viable option. The 225gr bullet is where I would start.

I have a 2004 version of the Savage 10 in 300WSM that has CRF. You must have a newer center feed model that is push feed.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
Why not just do it right and get a 338 wig mag, and avoid any short mag version? If you're in a remote area and need to get ammo, chances are you can find win mag ammo, but highly unlikely to find any short mag ammo. Besides, the win mag fits in a standard length action, and the short mags doesn't do anything that the old standard didn't already.

Settle down! knife I agree with your sentiment wholeheartedly. BUT I have a lefty Savage action that was a 300WSM in its former life. So I'm kinda limited.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
I think the 338 is a great "all rounder" for AK. I personally don't care for the Shorts, but to each his own.

My thoughts also on the caliber.

Great downrange energy with the 250 grain bullets that really outshines the 375 and 06 at ranges 200 yds and greater.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the days when the Winchester brand meant something the 338 was introduced in the M70 Alaskan. I've considered it to be the premier Alaskan round ever since and in the unlikely event I ever make it on a hunting trip to Alaska that will be my choice. It just seems right.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I know of no "better" all around Alaskan rifle than the .338 Win. I have two M-70 stainless 338's with Borden stocks that are my camp loaners.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4206 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember when it came out and seeing my first one in a store window about 1960, while walking to Sea Cadets in Nelson, BC, my home town. I wanted that rifle SO BADLY and, years later, bought it and then sold it to raise college funds.

Twenty years almost to the day after I first bought it, I bought it back from a guy who had it and I would not part with it for 50K. The P-64 "Alaskan"-.338WM in a good synthetic stock IS THE rifle fot working and hunting in wilderness BC, IMHO.

I often wonder why I don't just sell all my other rifles and stick with my .338s.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Another 338wm entheusiast here. Works great if you properly place your shot.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Truth be told, I recently started shooting 338RUM and really am suprised at the accuracy I'm getting with 225gr Interbond. Took a few for the rifle to settle in (Rem 700 SS in McMillian tupperware).

One of Us
Picture of Jim Brainard
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean Phil, I own the same stock made by Pacific Precision just before they sold the business to Borden. They are wonderful and turn an average grouping rifle into a tack-driver. Jim

Jim

Posts: 90 | Location: Petersburg, Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like a prime opportunity to shop for a new rifle!

Rechambering is like fixing something that's not broken. You spend a lot of money, and in the end you still have one rifle, along with some extra parts that you'll never use.

May as well spend the money on a second rifle, and then if you want you can sell the first one.

But there's no such thing as too many rifles.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I will go along with everyone here and I like my .338 (all three of them) and I've taken most of Alaska's big game with them.

Having said that with the short mag case I think I would just stick with the 30 cal bullet.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to Redding and Sinclair reports are very positve for feeding, accuracy, and on game performance for the 338WSM.

Redding stated not enough feedback for the 375WSM or the 416 to really make a solid comment.

One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
I have taken just about all the game AK offers and I only would use my Rem. .338. with 250gr noslers for the brownies and 200gr and/or 225 gr noslers for everything else. I use this gun for everything here in Montana and other states and its the best cal. ever made for extra long shots or timber hunting--great shocking power... patriot

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I know of no "better" all around Alaskan rifle than the .338 Win. I have two M-70 stainless 338's with Borden stocks that are my camp loaners.

. Now there is something I definately can,t argue with !!

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Us guys in the geriatric set might go with a 338/06. The 338 Win kicks like a mule.
There'll be no more torn retina's in my house.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know the .338 is a good rifle but recoil is significantly more stout than .375. I would say it is in the .416 class, as I perceive it.

I prefer a .375.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I have a .388 Win Mag and I use it to hunt everything; great bullet selection.

When I was a poor college kid, I wanted one gun that I could hunt everything from the smaller Deer species to the largest bears. I choose the .338 Win Mag.

Since then I have bought a .30-06, a couple of .375 H&H, a .416 Rem Mag, a .416 Rigby, a .470 NE, and a .577 NE.

I got everything covered, but I will still take the .338 for most anything in N.A.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by RyanB

"I know the .338 is a good rifle but recoil is significantly more stout than .375. I would say it is in the .416 class, as I perceive it."

I wouldent say that any of my three .338's kick harder than ether of my .375's

.338s are typicly built a lot lighter than most .375. That may explane the recoil with your rifle but thats a trade off I'll live with. In fact that was the reason I went to the .338 after years of carrying a .375 as my guide gun.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RyanB:
I know the .338 is a good rifle but recoil is significantly more stout than .375. I would say it is in the .416 class, as I perceive it.

I prefer a .375.

Ryan, percieved recoil is an individual thing...

I have owned several different 300 Mags, a 340 WBY Mag, and several 375 H&H's and have shot several others as well as several different 338's...

On some days I have shot all 3 side by side...

Funny thing is, for me, the 338 Win Mag seems to kick less than any of the others...

I have "felt" this way every time I have shot a 338 Win Mag...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perceived recoil is as much dependant on the rifle as the caliber. I just got rid of a 30/06 which kicked more than my .338wm, or at least it was more uncomfortable to shoot. Apparent or perceived recoil in my .338 is much less than my .375.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am pretty tolerable of recoil. My 300RUM is a hell of a shooter when I do my part. Stepping up to 338RUM in a McMillian really got me second guessing and developing a flinch.

For me, big difference over the 300RUM. 100 stout rounds (97gr RL25 w. 225gr) later I no longer have the flinch and am getting 5 shots under MOA regularly.

I'm wondering if the 375RUM will be that much tougher???? I lucked into 2 338RUM lefties from an estate sale. I want to shoot one out and rebarrel into 375RUM.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
Originally posted by RyanB

-------------------------------------------------
"I know the .338 is a good rifle but recoil is significantly more stout than .375. I would say it is in the .416 class, as I perceive it.".....,,,..,.,.';.,.';.,.,;'=- My 338 RUM was pretty light , 1 1/2 lbs lighter than my last 375 H&H and even with 275 gr Kodiak Bonded Cores @ 2800 fps it wasn,t noticeably harder recoiling than than the 375 .. With the 300 gr TBC High Energy load in the H&H , they were the same . With the 250 gr factory A Frame load in the 338 RUM it was not bad ... I would get another in a heart beat if I found one and it was a good deal .. I really like the RUM . But I really like the 338 Win Mag also . I,ve had 10 of them I think and shot thousands of rounds thru them .I used to go thru a couple / few pounds of powder a month with them ... It is a perfect Alaskan cartridge ... Winchester got it right when they named it the Alaskan .

I wouldent say that any of my three .338's kick harder than ether of my .375's

.338s are typicly built a lot lighter than most .375. That may explane the recoil with your rifle but thats a trade off I'll live with. In fact that was the reason I went to the .338 after years of carrying a .375 as my guide gun.
I don,t know how I got my post in the middle , oh well , I,m not re typing it .

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the .338 caliber is fantastic all around hunting. I would keep my .300wsm "as is" and add a 325wsm. If this is not an option then I would re-chamber to 338wsm.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted fries
posted Hide Post
not sure i have anything new to add but want to chime in as well.
the 338 wm is just about the best all round rifle i own. it has taken everything i put in front of it and done it well.
my rifle/ a ruger stainless that now wears the "new" stock from ruger.it is rubber over a syn stock and what a nifty stock. it took most of the percieved recoil and tamed it very well. not to mention the rubber outside that repells water and snow so as to be able to grip it in all weather conditions.
i shoot the 250 gr horn bulltes with complete confidence. this bullet has done everything for me i ask of it.
i also will concur that instead of building a custom, i would buy a quality win mag as the shell are universal and available almost everywhere.
at any rate, cant go wrong with the 338 caliber. good luck

----------------------------------
when all is said and done...more will be said then done

Posts: 134 | Location: alaska | Registered: 26 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .338 and a stout 250 grain bullet has been my choice for over 35 years. My customized Mod. 70 "Classic Stainless" has a very good 23" factory barrel, a Bansner's stock, NECG iron sights, 2.5 X 8 Leupold scope, Trader Keith's sling and Ted Blackburn one piece drop bottom metal that holds 4 rounds in the magazine. It weighs 8 lbs. If I do my part it will do it's part, near or far. Yeah, it kicks when it goes off, as it should, it is a .338 Win. Mag.! It is my idea of a go any where and kill it .338.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Google Arctic Gunworks. They created several wildcats off of the WSM case from .338 to .416 and called them Alaskan Express. They have velocity and energy numbers on their web site.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Posts: 83 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ak Guy:
The .338 and a stout 250 grain bullet has been my choice for over 35 years. My customized Mod. 70 "Classic Stainless" has a very good 23" factory barrel, a Bansner's stock, NECG iron sights, 2.5 X 8 Leupold scope, Trader Keith's sling and Ted Blackburn one piece drop bottom metal that holds 4 rounds in the magazine. It weighs 8 lbs. If I do my part it will do it's part, near or far. Yeah, it kicks when it goes off, as it should, it is a .338 Win. Mag.! It is my idea of a go any where and kill it .338.[/QUOTE..]Yup , thats a good set up ... I keep thinking I would like to give a Ruger 338 RCM a good tryout ....With the 225 gr bullet it would work well for all around and they are nice and light ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats what I took to Alaska a 338wm can't think of a nicer all around alaska caliber.

But that said I built a 416 taylor in case I ever go an a brown bear hunt. Because I can. Now it would be a 416 ruger if I were going to get one today.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kay9Cop:
Google Arctic Gunworks. They created several wildcats off of the WSM case from .338 to .416 and called them Alaskan Express. They have velocity and energy numbers on their web site.

Cool Beans...TX

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
quote:
Originally posted by RyanB:

I prefer a .375.

Ryan, percieved recoil is an individual thing...

I have owned several different 300 Mags, a 340 WBY Mag, and several 375 H&H's and have shot several others as well as several different 338's...

On some days I have shot all 3 side by side...

Funny thing is, for me, the 338 Win Mag seems to kick less than any of the others...

I have "felt" this way every time I have shot a 338 Win Mag...

My own experience mirrors this. My 338 kicks noticeably less than my 300RUM, and definitely a lot less than my 416 hoffman.

Posts: 3916 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a nonresident unter, I have kiled 3 bear in Alaska with my .338. The better issue is what quality bullet in what weight will you use. My vote is for Swift A-Frames, the heavier the better. The first two were brownies, the last was a black bear in May of 2009. Despite a solid hit in the shoulder that took the joint apart & rolled him, he got back up & rambled on with 3 legs. Something to consider..........Chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kay9Cop:

http://www.arcticgunworks.com/...ages/custom_guns.htm

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote