THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Re: Hunting disapearing in Alaska Fasterthan i thought

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Hunting disapearing in Alaska Fasterthan i thought
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I took 4 kids hunting and saw 155 moose ,3 grizzleys and 3 wolves in 15 days.It was awesome to see alot of moose but antler restrictions narrowed it down to 4 legal bulls.Fort Greely was closed most of moose season.It is supose to close for good soon .Thats 500,000 acres of awesome moose hunting lost.I also took two out of staters with me they also saw the bears and needed clean drawers afterwards.I am going to have to get a 4 wheeler as much as I dislike them.I walked half the time and rode 4 wheeler half the time.I had a good time taking the kids I took hunting.If more people did so hunting will survive with out kids hunting will disapear.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been in Alaska only 6 years but I have seen the hunting disapearing before my eyes.There is a hunt in unit 20A this year to remove 600 cow moose.The Army is planing to close Ft Greely for good for hunting.That 500,000 acres lost.The 4 brow tine 50 inch rule also rules out hunters from taking moose.I think its turning into a state for the tourist companies and guides.I dont need a 4 brow tine moose to fill my freezer the 3 brow tine rule was just fine.I saw 145 moose on Ft Greely last year in the two week season none were legal.Its getting so hard to hunt that alot of people are giving up hunting.I have tried to take as many kids hunting as possible .The schools here teach almost all antihunting themes.I have had kids tell me that hunting is the worst thing on this earth that someone could ever do.It kills me because I have seen lots of drunk and pothead teachers that fill these kids with these antihunting ideas from early on in school.This is not only happing in the big cities but the little town.If we as hunters each took two kids and got them into hunting it would not only keep them out of trouble but help save our sport.I have friends who love hunting games but wont let their kids go hunting.Its a shame that this is happing in Alaska of all places.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dgr,

Have you hunted Eielson AFB? I used to get a moose out of there every year (20 yrs ago) and on my trips up these days I still see plenty of them out there when I go behind the base with friends. I may be mistaken but I believe this are is still a Bull area, no special restrictions. Good for you and taking the kids out, I try to do as much of that as I can when I am home, it always makes for a good time and a better educated kid.

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not hunted other bases besides Ft Greely.Its hard enough just to try to keep up with the regs of this place.I see the 4 brow tine rule as a Tourist bus and guide rule.The guides want super big moose and the tourist buses want to see lots of moose.The result has been smaller moose antlers due to the largest bulls being taken before the rut and the smaller bulls breeding.I hunt very good areas lots of but the big bulls just aint going according to fish and games plan.Its messed up when the most of the moose shot are 36-45 inches with 4 brow tines .Its very hard to count the brow tines on moose in the brush.I saw way better moose when it was three brow tine and 50 inches.There were lots of 60 inch bulls then.The hunting regs of Alaska are as complicated as Federal Income tax booklet.If you dont believe me look at all the regs for Area 20 moose.There is no reason to have the regulations so comlpicated.I just want good meat for the freezer more than a tough moose I cant chew!I hope to introduce at least 20 new kids to hunting in my life if possible.I have taken 8 kids so far that have never hunted.I think my dad took well over 30 people that had not hunted before ,deer hunting in his life.You have to teach them everything about hunting but its alot of fun!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean about the regs, they seem to be changing all the time. I have only missed one year in the last 20 that I did not make a trip to the Fairbanks area or somewhere else Alaska and I have watched them change over the years. I just got back from Kenai 2 wks ago and I head to Fairbanks on the 28th of August for a few weeks. I am going to try and get something on the ground while I am there. Good luck!!

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't complain too much about AK.
Where else can a non-resident walk into the sporting goods store and purchase; caribou, grizz, black bear, moose, wolf, etc. tags right over the counter.

Try the Rocky Mountain west if you want to see some restrictions.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
Can you do that with Grizz? I thought it was mandatory for an out of Stater to have a guide.

One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
He stated that you can BUY the tags over the counter. You'll still need a guide TO HUNT Brown bears, sheep, and goats.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dgr, I think we all agree with characterization of government as oppressive and self serving:
The hunting regs of Alaska are as complicated as Federal Income tax booklet.If you dont believe me look at all the regs for Area 20 moose.There is no reason to have the regulations so comlpicated

That pertains to all government offices.
But see it like it is: job security act .
If you hire more cops,do you think you will get more security or mor harrassment?
Any employee has to show (s)he is worth the cost and a benefit to its boss.
The easiest way to document your worth while still keeping your behind in a warm office year around is to carefully review all regs and then "improve" on them.It leaves a written document and shows how smart and concerned you are. ,hell it might even become evident that you cant handle it yourself and need a new hiree,pretty soon you advance and have 4-12 folks "under you" hacking out more garbage for the good of us all.Smiler
there is only 1 solution: drastically cut government,then cut again,.. and again.

? government "services",whom do they serve?
sheephunter

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hunting in Alaska has really changed in the 6 years I have been here.There is a guy who wrote a book on floating for moose ,mostly in North West Alaska.The natives complained now no Nonresidents can float through most of North West Alaska.Anchorage is also a problem.They have over 50% of the votes in Alaska.Its the antihunters who vote on alot of hunting regs they dont even understand.They are trying to stop bear baiting in Alaska of all places.They stopped the wolf hunts from planes.If we dont get some kids to hunting and interested in hunting it will disapear as we know in in less than 50 -100years.The fish and game here combined with the state troopers here and that takes away from fish and game.If the rules were to where the people could understand them it would be a whole lot easier.The rules such as hunting on the west side of the north fork of the middle river between 18.5degrees and 17.8 degrees on sunny days between the hours of 6am and 12 pm on high tide .If you read the reg book you will see what I am talking about.Alaska is too big and nice of a place to be choked to death by the govt.I hope that hunting goes on forever but progress brings the worse things to nice places.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sheephunter: Take it from me; the police in 99% of the U.S. are far too busy chasing calls to engage in 'harassment'. You sound like the type who like to shout: "Screw the cops!" 364 days of the year but the one day your ass in in a jam you scream: "Help, police, help!".