Find
Notify
Tools

extra night in anchorage
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted
I will be hunting for blackbear next fall in PWsound. I will fly into Anchorage is it worth coming in early to see any sights? If so what is worth seeing?
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I can't really say there are any special sights worth staying an extra night for, but there are a few things worth checking out if your in town.

The milenium hotel by the airport has some wonderful mounts of various game animals. Great Northern Guns has a good selection of big bore rifles and collectors guns. There is an art/antique store downtown, I think on 4th and L that has some double rifles and other collectable guns way in the back.

Hmm, coffee hasn't kicked in yet because I can't think of much else, but there are a few other spots worth stopping by.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't been that way for a bit, but I always enjoyed a day there. there are several art/craft stores that have some really nice native stuff ($$$ for for best stuff) and some that have a buch of fake ssh-t. The I max theater takes you on a helicopter trip that is really neat. 10th & M is a seafood shop that you can get more mouth watering stuff at than you can afford, & they will package it all up and either ship it for you or you can take it home on the plane when you go. And of course there's always the bush country Wink

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
My vote would have to be a drive down toward Kenai weather dependent of course. On a beautiful day, I think the scenery is awesome eventhough I have made that drive many times. On the way back you might want to have dinner at the Double Muskie restaurant in Girdwood. They have some of the best food anywhere.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
Nice restaurant is Simon and Seafords, great food. I stayed at the Millineum hotel in October and had good food and the mounts Paul H suggested is worth the trip. The Sportsman's Warehouse is a great place to go as well.
If you get a bit on the wild side then check out The Great Alaskan Bush Company. A lot of Wild life at the ABC Club Big Grin

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If you're interested in native crafts, the best display I've seen is in the Native Medical Center, and their gift store has a great selection of items on sale. Also, the Native Heritage Center is worth a visit if you're interested in learning about the various native tribes and their history. Well, the Anchorage museum is also worth a visit.

The drive down to Seward is awe inspiring, and the animal park between Girdwood and Portage is worth a visit.

If your'e interested in the Gold era, there is an old mine in Girdwood that you can do some panning at, and look at the old mining equipment. There are actually many old mines and remnants here and there.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya, you must go to the Great Alaskan Bush Company! Lots of savage untamed wildlife there to throw your money at...

beer

Cheers,

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
My brother and I were "stuck" in Anchorage for 4 days.
We had a great time. There are several GOOD gunstores, and the food as Simon and Seafort [sp?] is very good.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richierich1:
Ya, you must go to the Great Alaskan Bush Company! Lots of savage untamed wildlife there to throw your money at...

beer
IMHO this place has a better effect on you after the hunt. You've spent a week or so sleeping with your smelly buddies, haven't seen your spouse/girlfriend for a while. There's is great satisfaction in having a beer in your hand while surrounded by beautiful wildlife and scenery. Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do... don't go to the Great Alaska "Bush" Company... looking to see any bush!

The forest there is defoliated at best! What a disappointment. A bunch of barbie-doll looking, prepubescent wanna-bes.

What happened to the real women, who easily embrace their natural equipment?

Don't get me wrong... in an alcohol induced stupor, a bald foreign chick is better than no chick.

I know one thing for sure... regardless of the wacked fads so prevalent in our weakened society... I'd never give into the scenario where American males must shave their equipment to be sexy, fad.

Guess I'd never be employed in that industry! bull

Posts: 197 | Location: alaska | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could drive down to Portage Glacier which is only and hour south.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote