Find
Notify
Tools

Countdown to Sheep Season!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted
To all those that are hunting dall sheep this season, whether you are going guided or unguided, what would you do: Its the first day of sheep season, and your in an area that has been known to have exceptional sheep (TMA, DCUA, Brooks Range Etc.) You see a legal ram the first hour of the first day, do you hold out for a bigger one? or take the first legal one you see? Just want your thoughts....CK

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on a lot of things...the area, are there other hunters around, was it a tag that was hard to draw, first sheep or experienced, did I pre-scout and find a big one, etc.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AKSheepHunter
What is Success.. If you don't have a Sheep yet your starting point is unsuccessful..
What is Success after the first animal is a burden to carry..
Success is the driving force in everything..It's up to the Hunter to know what success is before the first foot starts for the High Places..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's been years since I took my last ram. We're going in about a week early just to give us plenty of time to get into position for opening day. If we see any legal ones the first day, we're going after them.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice question. I have shot quite a few and want the elusive 40" ram, but may never get it. I have the DCUA late permit, but not sure if I am going to have the "time" to hunt/look for a big one. I will surely try to cover ground and look for one I like. I will not shoot one just to shoot one. If it isn't 40, it better be heavy and broomed.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
61 DAYS to SHEEP!!!!!!Can't wait.....CK

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
75 and counting!! Good luck you guys. Leave one for me...

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKsheephunter:
To all those that are hunting dall sheep this season, whether you are going guided or unguided, what would you do: Its the first day of sheep season, and your in an area that has been known to have exceptional sheep (TMA, DCUA, Brooks Range Etc.) You see a legal ram the first hour of the first day, do you hold out for a bigger one? or take the first legal one you see? Just want your thoughts....CK
I have my wife shoot it so I can try and find the bigger one later. Wink

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I won't be there this year, but will be back in '09. For me, it would depend on a lot of things: how he looked and whether all things considered (including how he stacked up to my other rams, how many sheep were known to be in the area; how old he was; whether a big storm was going to be blowing in and the weather going to sh..., etc.) he was a good ram. For me, getting a sheep is less important than the experience of getting a sheep, that would need to be factored in as well. Tough question.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
48 Days..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AKsheep or AKrange,
Either of ya'll adding a grizz to your dall hunt?

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Bluefin, Of course, griz is on the menu, I always buy a tag, however the Brooks are not known for monsters,most I've seen are small, but if I see a B&C Bou, he'll be in the crosshairs, but the main Quarry is Dall, Depends on alot of Factors, mainly weather, but will look the Rams over hard, mainly want the kid to get one, it will be his 1st sheep hunt, flying in the day before opener, best of luck to all who pursue the White Ram, i'll be looking for the Pics.....CK

one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
My sheep hunt last year was my second, and I definitely wanted to get a bigger one. I passed sheep several times that were legal, and killed one on the ninth day of a 10 day hunt. I'm so glad I waited, although the sheep I passed on the first day was probably the same size as the one I killed in the end. I'm sure glad to have had those other days in the field even though they were punishing physically. Ain't no fun back at camp watching people cook and wash clothes.
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote