New
Find
Notify
Tools

Over the Shoulder Scabbard
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was watching one of the Alaska TV shows and one of the men on the show was carrying what looked to be a short barreled lever gun in a canvas type scabbard worn diagonally across his back. About half the buttsock was extended out of the scabbard. Does anyone have an idea who makes these. It looked very handy to me.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I have one just like you describe but I can't remember who made it. There are no markings on it. If you google rifle scabbards several sites come up. Just choose the one you like best.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2802 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...un-scabbard-29-nylon

Sportsmans Guide often sells them as well.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com...t?k=shotgun+scabbard

Work for lever action, shotguns no scope etc.
Best regards,

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first viewing of such a scabbard occurred in the motion picture "Romancing the Stone." The male lead is carrying and using by way of a quick draw a pump shotgun, an Ithaca Model 37 I believe.

In the motion picture "The 13th Warrior," nearly all of the warriors pack their swords in such scabbards.

I have wondered whether such scabbards were practical devices to carry carbines. And now I know they are.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1507 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Naphtali:
My first viewing of such a scabbard occurred in the motion picture "Romancing the Stone." The male lead is carrying and using by way of a quick draw a pump shotgun, an Ithaca Model 37 I believe.

In the motion picture "The 13th Warrior," nearly all of the warriors pack their swords in such scabbards.

I have wondered whether such scabbards were practical devices to carry carbines. And now I know they are.

I would not take what I see in the movies as gospel but looking at the price. One wouldn't be hurt trying it.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
FWIW- I saw a movie a LONG time ago called, I believe something like "The Trappers" or "The Frontiersmen."
The heroes were carrying their flintlocks in the crook of their left arm in a scabbard made from buckskin with a fringe along one edge.
When the action started, they grabbed the pistolgrip and swung the rifle around and the cover flew off onto the ground.
I liked it so much that my M92, M94 and M71 Winchesters each carry one. It doesn't seem like too much trouble to put a sling on it so it could be carried like a quiver.
Hmm, thinking on it, I may go into rthe other room and put one on the M92's right now.
Have fun,
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
The value is being hands free but having the long gun both protected and somewhat close to hand. We see the same problem/solution in the new backpacks with integrated rifle carrying choices included.
These Molle equipped scabbards can be strapped to about anything or used with the carrying strap provided.
People who have a use for them will find them useful! Others who don't, won't. Kind of like carrying an Axe strapped to a pack. Not many folks see the utility of an axe on their trips today, but some still do. Good to have choices yes?

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I don't carry mine any distance in the scabbard though I suppose I could. I mainly use it to protect my rifle when hunting for the day when transporting it in my truck and maybe when I'm camping for a hunt. If I was on a horse a scabbard designed for that would be better.

I've strapped my rifle to a backpack only a few times when having both hands free was important. But I really don't want my rifle so unavailable most of the time. I just sling it or hand carry it when walking, with or without a pack on. I've done it this way for many years.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2802 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looked to me to be a pretty handy way to carry a gun when fly fishing in Canadian bear country. It sure beats leaning the gun against a tree somewhere. Plus, I'm a lot better shot with a 12 gauge than a pistol.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
They are a narrow application solution but have some strong points. Protection, availability, hands free carry, as mentioned useful on and in other means of travel. Narrow fit of guns as well but lever's and riot type shotguns cover a multitude of utility. Not much that can't be done with a 30-30 or savage 99 308 or others of that ilk.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I bought one a few years ago as a way to carry/protect my double and keep my hands free. Works quite well. I also thought about bringing it on my next hunt so that if I am carrying my bolt gun, then one of the trackers can use it, much better than having them just carry it by hand.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sportsmans has these plus there is a free shipping promotion use code "BRADSHIP" so $25

M.O.L.L.E. Shoulder Shotgun Scabbard
Item # WX2-144035

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you like leather check out oldtradingpost.com

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Might also point out that a 24" barreled bolt without a scope drops right in until the bolt root almost touches the top of the scabbard. Kind of handy for a few things.
I strapped one to my old Alice pack/frame for the times I want and need both hands.