Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about SE Alaska hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted
I have the chance to hunt with a relative out of Juneau AK next fall. He is only focused on moose and I am hoping to take advantage of the time to pursue pretty much whatever else I can. Anyone live or hunt in that area that has advice? I believe I can go after Sitka BT's, Black bear...??? I realize I have to get a copy of the AK game regs (online) but wanted some ideas to narrow my research.
Thanks!.

IdahoVandal

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first thing to find out is whether your kin has a boat. Mostly, you won't get to go many places worth hunting without one. BT deer is a real option, depending on where your kin will be moose hunting. Black bear in the fall is an iffy proposition simply because there's so much food in so many places that they aren't concetrated in any one area.

Give Neil Barton at the Douglas office of the F&G department a call and he'll be able to help.

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Thanks RB, yes, apparently the moose "lodge" as he calls it is on an island somewhere and we travel via boat....

IV

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Island? Most the moose around these parts are mainland animals. The deer are certainly island animals.

"Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass." Mark Twain - Chris - IYAOYAS!

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Apparently you are correct, it is mainland but no roads, (and I thought Idaho was remote in places.......this could be fun....)

IV

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Well, I've lived in Juneau for 33 years.

I know folks who are totally into Moose hunting, but I'm not. YOU WILL NEED A BOAT. Sure, the moose are on the mainland, but you can't hunt 'em anywhere near town. Airboats aren't bad either.

Blacktail and black bear are your best bets. Depends on when you are planning to come to Alaska. Black bear is best in April thru early May. Deer can be hunting from August 1 thru Dec 31. Great alpine deer hunts in August. Usually a boat or float plane proposition, but you can hunt on Douglas Island from a car. Rut hunting for deer is best from end of October to Thanksgiving.

MM

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Could be around Gustavus?

But about finding black bear in the Fall, if the salmon are still running, they tend to congregate around salmon streams. If the salmon are gone, then yes, the bears are spread out.

I've seen one moose on Kupreanof Island, south of Kake.

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
We have friends from Gustavus, and my understanding is most or possibly all the moose hunting is permit, vs over the counter. I was invited to go down there, but after looking at the logistics and cost, and not knowing for sure I'd get a permit to hunt, I bagged the idea.

I'd look at blacktail deer and black bears as primary species, with the potential for moose hunting.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Paul,

Smart move - Last year in Gustavus it was a ZOO! Hunters pissed off, land owners pissed off - Not a pretty picture. A little bit of land to hunt on and 300-400 hunters downed all the moose allotted in the area in a matter days and the season closed. Not my idea of fun Eeker

"Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass." Mark Twain - Chris - IYAOYAS!

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whatever you end up hunting do yourself a favor and have some good raingear!

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote