New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Brooks Range Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here's another Brooks Range Hunt alblum, if I can get the URL to work....

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Nope. Doesn't work.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you click on "back to Alblum, you should be able to see all the pics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the following URL will work. If you click on Back to Alblum you should get all the pics.
http://gallery.me.com/mpillon#...010435&bgcolor=black

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Nice album and very nice ram. Age?

Congrats!!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful ram, enjoyed the pics.
Phil

NRA Life Member since 1976
philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270
Visa/MC accepted , plus 3%
We have to save the Earth, only planet with beer!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics, hard work but worth it. Congratulations!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. It was a lot of work. 9 days is a long time for an old guy like me to haul his butt up and down those Mts. The ram was 11 1/2 years old, 37.5 inches. He was the only legal ram we saw at any range on the hunt and really only one of a few rams more than half curl, although we saw a lot of sheep. The weather played havoc with the sheep and their patterns and the rams simply vanished and we really didn't know where to turn. It was also nice that I spotted him and not my guide, Mike, who did a terrific job throughout. I was never so glad as when we judged him legal.

One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Nice ram. Looks like you were with Deltana. Did you shoot one of those caribou bulls also? The bull that is out of velvet is not bad.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
Excellent photos and nice Ram! This is the next Alaskan animal on my hit list!

Thanks for sharing you pics.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is an awesome gallery. The mountains are well(WOW)! Congrats on the ram EB

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Ram!

Excellent pictures!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was with Deltana. This is my second trip. I know there is a guy on this forum that had a bad experience with them a few years back, but I can't say enough good things about Ralph and Jim. They work about as hard as anyone to get you your sheep. Great equipment, first rate guides and pilots. I hunted with Billy Molls my first trip and Mike Thomas this time. These guys want to hunt and will push you as hard as you can be pushed. We covered well over 120-30 miles in the 9 days and I was beat, but I look a whole lot better for it now Smiler No I didn't take a caribou; had many chances as you can see, and there were some others that I didn't photograph that were even better, but didn't even bother to get a tag, since Ralph didn't need the meat and all the high wall space in my trophy room is taken up with Elk and other critters. I did dry fire on a couple of those bulls though....so I guess in my mind I got them....WinkI also had a great chance at a very good grizz, but that's another story. It was the 10th day, I had a new guide and the bear turned up where we didn't expect him and by the time we figured out what the big brown blob in the willows 60 yards in front of us was, he was off to the races and by the time I got the gun out of the pack it was just a hope and a prayer that didn't turn out. Disappointing, but since in 50 years of hunting this is the first time I've ever hunted bear (even though I grew up around them and they are all over the ranches where I hunt most of my elk and deer) there is probably a reason I didn't get this one. Oh well. Great adventure. Thanks guys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing, I have to get up there sometime in my lifetime.

One of my dreams to hunt the Brooks.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Great photos. My wife and I vacationed in Alaska Labor Day week and had a great time. A Dall sheep hunt is high on my list - loosing the 25 lbs to do it is going to be the hard part.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great ram and pictures, congrats.

Posts: 114 | Location: Kodiak, AK | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. That's incredible.

What rifle? caliber? bullets? Congrats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My "normal" sheep rifle is a .300 Win Mag., built by Kerry O'Day at MG Arms. I usually shoot 180 gr. partitions out of it. It weighs about 6.2 lbs scopped and loaded. Since I was also hunting bear on this trip, I decided not to take it, but instead to take my .338 Rum, also built by Kerry, but about a pound and a bit heavier. Shooting 225 Gr. TSX at 3100 fps. By the end of the trip that lb really added up....anyway it was also probably too much gun for sheep, but worked well. In retrospect the .300 would have been just fine for mt. grizz too, so if I go on another sheep hunt of any type, it's the .300 that goes.