THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    what size pack for a backpack sheep or goat hunt?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what size pack for a backpack sheep or goat hunt?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking at several backpacks: kifaru long hunter and siwash (about 3500 to 4500 cubic inches) and the badlands 4500. Both can be had in even larger sizes, but I do travel light: freeze dried and one pan to boil water in.

planning to do 5-7 day elk, deer, and goat hunts.

Weights would be about 5 pounds to 7 pounds for the packs.

Need to scramble about some with the pack, so just a freighter like my old Kelty external is getting old. And I am getting old as well. I do not expect to ever again pack out 100 pounds at a time.

any suggestions?

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Jameister

Do you want backpack with an integrated or external frame? That is the first decision to make. I think that backpacks with external are more comfortable to carry heavy loads.

Here are two backpack makers that makes good ones. I would go for backpack with 90-120 liters. How far do you plan on walking each day?

http://www.norrona.no/web/homepage.nsf/web/index.html

http://www.bergans.no

Chers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
johann:

I have always backpacked with external frame packs. in the 4500-5500 cubic inch class. no idea what that is in liters.

And usually take 45-55 pounds of gear to a spike camp, and then day hunt from there

we generally hike about 40 miles over a week long hunt, so about 5 miles per day.

Jameister

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jameeister;

5,000 on the internal frame by co. like dada design, wookie, etc.

frame pack for heavier load and longer outings 7,000

cold zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use external frame packs the bigger the better I like lots of room to store and sort gear. But then I have the habit of putting my down bag in side the pack instead of on the out side. It seems that it works out better at keeping it safe and dry.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Kifaru long hunter and after using an external frame pack for years I would not even consieder going back.
IMHO the Kifaru pack is the most hunter friendly pack design on the market right now and I would not give mine up for the world. I have packed deer and elk on externals and none of them were anything near as comfortable as my long hunter.
Your mileage may vary.....

Posts: 57 | Location: Long Island NY | Registered: 21 June 2003Reply With Quote