THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Game tags, Waterproof and locking?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game tags, Waterproof and locking?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'll be hunting Caribou out of Illiamna in Sept, and have noticed mention of waterproof game tags, harvest tickets, and "locking" tags are required for trophies/meat.

Can someone explain precisely what each of these things are?

I understand that waterproof game tags with your information have to be attached to meat/hide/antlers. I've looked for such tags, but can't find any. Any suggestions?

What is a locking tag?

Thanks.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"tags" for non residents are strips of embossed tin that, when stuck together into a loop (vaguely akin to a plastic cable wrap) can't be pulled apart without destroying the 'tag'

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TrademarkTexan: First, everyone has to have a hunting license or some type of certified exemption. Then every resident and nonresident that hunts caribou (and most other big game, like moose and deer) must have harvest tickets. These are free and they come in packs of five or six tickets per card. You must have a harvest ticket for the species you intend to hunt and you must have one harvest ticket for each individual animal. In addition, if you are a non-resident you will have to buy a special tag for the species you intend to hunt. This tag will consist of two parts: (1) A piece of paper (a form not unlike a hunting license) with information on it documenting that you have the right to hunt and kill the species identified on the paper tag and, (2) along with this document you will get a metal locking tag, described by Rupertbear above. The written portion of your tag is set up for multiple species (all big game in Alaska) and as many animals of any given species that you are allowed to hunt...so if you are hunting caribou, moose, brown bear, mountain goat, and black bears all on the same hunt you will only need one of these pieces of paper to document that. However, every specimen you kill you will need a locking tag, and that is what the state will charge you for when you pay your fees.

In sum, to hunt one caribou you will need: (a) hunting license, (b) harvest ticket, (c) one written document saying that you bought a tag for a caribou, and (d) one locking metal tag to put on the caribou. You can get all of this at Walmart here in Anchorage. Everything I listed here is easy to get.

Hunting caribou is fun. I have killed a few out near Illiamna, usually in late winter/early spring. I hope you have a good and successful trip. It is nearly caribou season now...good luck and keep us informed.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rwj:

I have hunted Alaska as both a res and nonres. Don't recall ever getting the harvest coupons (that I received as a resident)as a nonres; you just get the metal tag. Of course, you also have to have a hunting license.

BTW Texan: in Alaska, you can use apply a tag to any lesser animal. So you could shoot a wolverine and put a caribou tag on it (assuming wolverine tags are have not been increased since I last hunted there). Come to thing of it, you certainly would not have a coupon for that.

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AnotherAZWriter: I could be wrong on the non-resident harvest tickets, but I don't think so. I am willing to be corrected though (the hunting regulations does state that all hunters are required to have harvest tickets for moose, deer, caribou, and sheep in most areas). The harvest tickets are attached to a postage-paid state-numbered post card which you fill out after the hunt is completed and mail back to the ADF&G. The state-number on the post card is tied to your hunting license number and the information you provide on the card states if you hunted or not, where you hunted, the sex of the animals you killed, and the date you killed them. Three of my brothers and a nephew were up last year and we killed seven bulls.....each of them filled out their harvest tickets and sent them to ADF&G. It is just a way for the state to keep tract of animals that are harvested. I am pretty sure that non-residents have to fill these out. The harvest tickets could be something adopted in the recent past...my first caribou hunt was in 1997 or 98 in Alaska and they were required then...when did you live here?

I am pretty sure that you could get an unpleasant ticket from a State Trooper if he found you with a dead caribou and no harvest ticket.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info so far.

Any ideas on where to get the waterproof game tags?

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TrademarkTexan: I am not certain about the waterproof game tags...this would have to simply be a labeling devise, like on a suitcase, with your name and address on it. However, you should count on it being wet! Maybe a waxed card and a grease pensil could be used. I've never heard of waterproof game tag though....but AnotherAZWriter never heard of harvest tickets for non-residents, and he is usually pretty straightforward and knowledgeable on stuff.. so I could be way off base on the waterproof game tags.

It is caribou season though... the buggers are in velvet and they are being shot as we speak. The days are still pretty long and it is hot out...70-80 during the day. But August rain will come and it will get dark and cloudy and rainy and there will be lots of dead caribou! . I am heading out to hunt near Bethel at the end of September for brown bear and caribou. A friend is coming up from Oklahoma.

I hope you have a great trip. It is beautiful and exciting flying over the Alaska Range into Illiamna..a vast expanse of Alaska..I hope the skies are clear so you can see. If you are in a good spot you will see the animals on the tundra from the plane.....who are you going out with? It is all very exciting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The locking and waterproof tags may be the same thing.

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote