THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Can you still mail a gun to yourself?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you still mail a gun to yourself?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can you still mail a gun to yourself from yourself.I am mail from SE Ak to the Interior?I cant find dealers list on gunsamerica either.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When we moved here to Cody from Alaska in '04 I mailed all my guns through the PO to myself with no problem at all. Also last year I mailed my guns to and from the TX ranch I hunted on to avoid airport hassles and it worked like a charm.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From personal experience I will have to say that
since you own the gun we will say that you have already had a background done on the gun. SO
shipping it too yourself from yourself should and I say should be just fine. However, BATF
is the ones to confirm this with. I will add that I run all models and serial numbers on all weapons I purchase and it saved my bacon. Several years ago a guy I worked with wanted to get rid of a Smith triple-lock. We swapped where I lived in Idaho. I called a Law Enforcement friend and it turned out that the gun had been stolen 23 years earlier from a gun shop in New York state! Now what do you suppose would have happened if I was shipping a box of guns and my box containing that gun was opened on a spot check? Just a thought?

Always error on the side of safety! Know the Law.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
According to the BATF you can ship firearms to yourself. Just make sure the person to whose mailbox you are sending them does not open the package, if they do this they have "received" the firearm and that is a no-no.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes you can. But you can not ship handguns through the post office unless you are a dealer.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6604 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ncooper

You can run into all kinds of BS while buying or selling guns. I have a hunting buddy who 15 years ago found a .308 leaning up against a tree while elk hunting in the grand mesa area of Co. It obviously had been there a while, but he knocked the crust off it, it shot OK so he bought a new scope for it and his son used it to deer hunt with until he went to college 2 years ago. The son was pulled over in a traffic stop, had the rifle in the back seat (it was during deer season) they ran the rifle's serial no. Evidently the guy who lost it was from Tennessee and reported it stolen when it was lost in Colorado. The rifle was returned to the original owner (with the new scope) and the son now has no rifle. Of course he had no legal claim to it, no argument there.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last Saturday I was at the Tulsa Gun Show and ATF had an information booth. I stopped and specifically asked about shipping a gun from yourself to yourself. The agent said that it legal to do so. He further suggested that you use UPS or FedEx because the Post Office has additional rules that are often misunderstood by postal personnel. He also cautioned that if you ship to a gun shop be sure to caution the personnel to not open the package because they will then have to record the firearm in their bound book. He suggested that if you are shipping to a gun shop that you should address it to yourself, care of the gun shop, but to be sure to contact the recipient in advance to be sure the package is not opened until you arrive.

SD Shooter

Posts: 188 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a person who has had to travel a lot on business around the USA....

ONe of the simplest things to ever do as far as shipping is to use UPS.....

If you are traveling from Point A to Point B and have to have a lot of stuff available for you at point B, and don't want to carry it thru the airport etc, and have no mailing address where you are going... UPS makes it easy...

Find out the closest UPS station to where Point B is and ship the item to yourself, C/O that UPS station, under the Term " Will Call"....

What that means is that UPS will tell you when your shipment arrives at that office, and the term 'Will Call' means you will pick up the shipment at their station.... they call you when it arrives and they will HOLD it there for you until you pick it up! All at no extra charge!

If you are shipping a firearm, just break it down so it won't function and label it gun parts as they ask you for a description of your shipment....

YOUR shipment will be safely in UPS's hands, it will be covered by Insurance, and if you keep them informed of such things, as you can't pick it up until 30 days from now or so, they will keep it on hold in a locked location at their station until you stop by to pick it up.....

Nothing could be more easy, or convenient if you have to ship a couple of firearms within the 50 states....

Of course as soon it as it crosses into Canada, if that is your destination, you must conform to Canadian gun laws....

But the firearm being dismantled and labeled gun parts is perfectly legal....

I shipped three firearms to Montana once... I put the barreled actions in one box, the stocks and bolts in another box... labeled them gun parts and picked them up at the UPS Will Call counter in Billings, after they had held them there for me for 3 weeks....

Since the 2 boxes were going to the same destination, I was charged as if they were one big box.....

works pretty darn slick!

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked to my local ATF agent and yes you can send fireams to yourself. certain businesses such as ups and fed ex will not ship to someone unless they hold an ffl license. no problems shipping usp as long as firearm is dissasembled or not able to fire such as removing bolt

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you use UPS in Alaska you have to pay for 2nd day air about $6 a pound I think.They are also very good at totally distroying your guns.I had two damaged by them.The first was a T/C Hawkin that they snaped in half and bent the barrel .There was just a quater sized hole in the box.I copied the ATF rules I may have to take them to the post office.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DGR:

HOw in the hell do you get a barrel bent Period... much less some nimrod in a shipping environment???

ARE you sure some anti gun nut didn't purposely destroy your firearm???

With UPS, you have insurance on it anyway....

With the postal service.. good luck!

It being a problem shipping a firearm is ridiculous anyway! The dam anti gun nuts are the ones we can thank for that....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muskegex
posted Hide Post
I have had several hunters mail (US Post Office) thier guns to themselves C/O my address. Some put a cardboard box around the hard case and some just mail the hard case as is. Seems like it runs around $50 or $60 including plenty of insc. When I return mail I use the local FFL dealers address and a copy of his license ($25 fee to the FFL dealer). If the hunter is not here or takes care of it himself at the USPO.

Never had a problem.

It cuts down on an extra piece of airline baggage (which is now 2 limit, then pay) which they will charge you between $50 and $80.

I don't believe FedEx or UPS will accept guns here.

Posts: 134 | Location: ketchikan | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had two guns side by side in a hard plastic case.There was a Savage 311 sxs 20 ga it was not touched.The Other gun was a .50 Thompson Center Hawkin Muzzleloader.The hole in the plastic gun case was a little bigger than a quater.I guess it got bount up in machinery or something.The stock was shattered in half about right at the sites.The barrel was bent about 3/4" out of being straight.It suprised the hell out of me.That paid for that gun but the next one that damaged didnt get paid for.It was a high dollar sxs sidelock shotgun that got damaged in shipping.The person I shipped to shipped it back through the mail instead of ups that didnt pay for the damage.I have gotten torn double layered boxes sent to akl with nothing left in them.I did send a priority flat rate box last year with 69 pounds of lead shot in it.The box was gone but the post office put my shot in a cool mail mag they gave me.The post office lady said dont do it again.I told her I was under their 69 pound limit.You have to watch the sixe limit going to Alaska I think its a maxium of something like 108 inches total girth,length or something like that.If you go over that size your package goes way up.I finall coppied the ATF web site rules on guns and packages.I am going to see if they will let me send one or not this week,we will see.I will take the ATF regs with me.