New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brown Bear Hides in August
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is August too early for a fall Brown Bear hunt? This hunt would be in unit 13. I was just wondering what the hides would be like that time of year? Also, how are the bugs and ground cover? Is there too much vegetation to see well?

Thanks for the help.

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
For unit 13 it all depends, most likely they'll still be rubbed with new short hair coming out, I shot bears in August in the Brooks range that had nice hides, but not real thick and long like you wanted...I'd wait for late sept. or Spring.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. That's really helpful.

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Agreed, if I were looking for a bear to rug or mount I wouldn't shoot one any earlier than September in unit 13 as the hair would be to short.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help.

AKsheephunter.
Do you live in the Brooks Range? I've always wanted to hunt there. How's the sheep hunting? I've heard that it is easier (by sheep hunting standards) than other parts of Alaska.

How's the bear hunting there as well?

Again, thanks for the help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
shot alot of aug and even july bears that had great hides, i've only seen maybe four bears in 11 years that were actually rubbed, where i work it don't happen very often. most late aug bears have their fall colors and shine to them, hair is even, just not as long as sept or oct. but its fall hair, not summer hair. pretty hides. this is a bear from third week of aug.
both unit 13 bears

and a mid july grizz, died in the water but you can see how long his hair is, one rub right above his tail. july 15th maybe?

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

The hides really don't look that bad in August.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
not bad, just not AS good as sept is all.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Nice looking bears ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote