New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wolf Attack
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On the news this morning -women walking their dogs in Alaska were attacked by three wolves . The wolves "had no hesitation attacking them " Armed only with pepper spray they finally chased off the wolves .One dog required surgery ......I thought wolves were sweet and gentile ??? Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of our wolves have developed a taste for pets lately, and they aren't shy about helping themselves.....

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
On the news this morning -women walking their dogs in Alaska were attacked by three wolves . The wolves "had no hesitation attacking them " Armed only with pepper spray they finally chased off the wolves .One dog required surgery ......I thought wolves were sweet and gentile ??? Eeker

popcorn dancing

Posts: 2360 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.....That got pretty bad in Ketchikan ,. and they started snaring them ....The state should put a 500 $ bounty on them and no limits .....Plus for every innocent dog that gets snared a feral dog will and that helps things also .....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had a problem with a wolf....

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
........ thumb

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was an attack up in Northern B.C. also the fellas got the 2 wolfs that tried. Heres a link and some cool pix.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17807

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Shottist
posted Hide Post
That news story reminded me of a postcard showing a woman walking a toy poodle and the caption on the card was "Trolling for Lions" jumping

Sometimes while trolling, you catch the wrong fish Wink Or in this case, wolves instead of lions.

If your hunting dog is fat, then you aren't getting enough exercise. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: currently N 34.41 W 111.54 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saw that video again and watched it carefully. The woman , describing an arc with her hand said she "rainbowed" her pepper spray .That's a new term for me !! rotflmo Another 'pray and spray' shooting technique !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i can remember a few moons ago up by st. michaels when the wolf packs would send in a bitch in heat and the dogs would follow her out where the pack would kill and eat them

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i can remember a few moons ago up by st. michaels when the wolf packs would send in a bitch in heat and the dogs would follow her out where the pack would kill and eat them

We have coyotes who've learned that trick...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14614 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I DO NOT EXERCISE OR TRAIN MY VERY EXPENSIVE AND DEARLY LOVED BIRD DOG OUTSIDE OF MY FENCED YARD WITHOUT MY LOADED .45 AUTO ON MY PERSON.

Please forgive my all caps post, but I am and will remain amazed at the folks that cruise around willy nilly in the outdoors without adequate defensive tools.

Posts: 9474 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
Please forgive my all caps post, but I am and will remain amazed at the folks that cruise around willy nilly in the outdoors without adequate defensive tools.

We are getting more & more of them down here all the time thumbdown Joggers being paced by the Brownie Hooligan dancing

Posts: 2360 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
tsturm, can you expand a little? I'm not familiar with what your talking about.

Posts: 9474 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott - I will venture a guess that he was referring to the two legged predators - this would apply to anchorage as well is my guess is correct.

I am not trying to stir any, just trying to address your inquiry.

KMule

Hear and forget. See and remember. Do and understand.

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Canis lupus have been reported in SE Oregon not that far from the Calif border I wonder what will happen if and when they arrive here knowing how the san francisco folks got the "endangered" mtn lion totally protected.A friend was at the Oak Valley Golf Course Driving Range in Cherry Valley,CA 2 weeks ago hitting some balls when a mtn lion strolled out on the driving range eyeing him about a 100 yards away it eventually headed out on the golf course.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
tsturm, can you expand a little? I'm not familiar with what your talking about.

"but I am and will remain amazed at the folks that cruise around willy nilly in the outdoors without adequate defensive tools."

We are getting more of them (willy nilly crybaby what are thoes Bears/Wolves doing on the jogging trails) here also. Every spring for the last 6-8 yrs some one jogging gets followed by a 2yr old (Hooligan in Clarks Pt.) Brown Bear dancing Have a good one!!

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Got it.

Seems like it'd be a little scary looking over your shoulder at the brown bear following you.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
,, We get alot of them here believe it or not ...there were only 4 or 5 bear shot in town this year here ......26" skulled brown bears .... when a big bear decides to be a problem , its a real problem .......They got Boewolfed ....People still go jogging unarmed ....when they get chewed ,,oh well .....Most people are so afraid of what someone else may think that they would rather be eaten by a bear than ridiculed , erroneosly by someone ,., .............

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope that more wolves eat more animal right Dinsey fruitlopps.They deserve to see the real wolf in the woods.I dont go around Alaska offroad without a gun.Wolves love to eat dogs and if Alaska kills off all the moose they are going to eat alot more pets.Pepper spray is a good way to flavor yourself for the bears.They will actually roll in the stuff if you spray it on the ground.They just dont like it in their eyes and nose.You can always tell the difference between Black Bear and Grizzly poop in Alaska.Black Bear poop is full of berries and Grizzleys poop has pepper spray ,bear bells to keep away the bears in it.You cant fly with it in bush planes anyway.
Wolves usually run and usually bears do too 95% of the time but its that 5% that gets you when your least expecting it.The only good wolfe is the one you make your ruff to you coat for.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"The only good wolfe is the one you make your ruff to you coat for."

They make good wall hangings or to throw over the back of the couch also Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe some fraid-e-cats should visit NYC where it's really dangerous so you can be desensitized for your poodle walk back in Wolf/Lion country!!! animal

A bus stop in LA is more dangerous than a couple of wolf packs!!!!

Even the SF Zoo trumps the Tundra beasties!!

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They have had coyotes in NYC recently - they've been greeted with hysteria !! Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They have had coyotes in NYC recently - they've been greeted with hysteria !! Eeker

Hysteria cause they'll be on a menu sooner than later.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote