New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear attack near Kenai?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I heard late this afternoon at work that a jogger got mauled by a bear near Kenai (or on the Kenai) this morning. Anyone hear about this? It sounds like spring is here.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
As reported in the Anchorage Daily News on-line:

Bear mauls Soldotna man

The Associated Press

Published: April 18th, 2005
Last Modified: April 18th, 2005 at 03:15 PM

SOLDOTNA - A Soldotna man was mauled by a brown bear Monday morning.

Scott MacInnes, 51, suffered injuries to his head and abdomen. Alaska State Troopers said his injuries did not appear to be life-threatening.

The bear attacked as MacInnes jogged in the Dirk's Lake Road area. MacInnes told troopers he was running with his dog about a mile from his home when he turned a corner and saw the bear.

The bear was with one and possibly two cubs.

MacInnes ducked behind a tree but the bear charged from about 30 feet away and mauled him.

MacInnes was able to make it a neighbor's house and troopers were called shortly before 8 a.m.

MacInnes was transported by emergency medical personnel to Central Peninsula General Hospital.

Troopers and Fish and Game personnel found a fresh adult cow moose kill site near the scene and posted signs warning people about the bear.

Bear Attacks Man

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is why they make light weight hand guns so you can carry one when you run.

Posts: 19458 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
OT warning!!!
This is something I STILL do not understand. My neighbor rides a bike hundreds of miles a week for "exercise" but brags about having a 9 lb. bike (or something) wouldn't he get a lot more exercise if the thing weighed 50 lbs? Wanna run in AK for exercise? Carry a moose gun and run like a Marine thumb

(/ot)

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I used to race bicycles in college, and would ride several hundred miles a week. A light bike is more enjoyable to ride, especially in the hills, and trust me, you still get a workout! You just cover more ground in the same amount of time.

I don't carry a gun when I walk or run the trails in my neighborhood, even though we've had two grizzly bears killed in the 8 years we've been here.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote