THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Re: Mr. Shoemaker, the story behind ole ugly?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Mr. Shoemaker, the story behind ole ugly?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted
If you can believe either of their writings Peter Capstick had a lot more African experience tha Ross Seyfried and at least he hung around the bars more and had better stories.

Posts: 4206 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Jim Carmichel has killed over eight-five cape buffalo with the .458 Win. Mag., as well as a couple of elephant, lions, etc. Except for the lions, he's used handloaded 500 gr. Hornady solids on everything, and if I remember correctly he's used IMR 4895 for over 2100 fps as his standard load. His rifle is a custom Mauser that he stocked himself, and he's used it for over thirty years.

I've only killed three African animals with the .458 Win. Mag. using 500 gr. Trophy Bonded solids @ right at 2100 fps. I shot through a zebra end-to-end, which really isn't much of a test, but I also shot through a cape buffalo end-to-end with that bullet, and I've shot completely through a hippo's shoulders as well. The only recovered bullet came out of the dirt after it exited the buffalo. Incredibly, one of the boys found it. I sent Chuck a photo of this buffalo, and maybe he'll post of it if he sees fit.

The .458 Win. Mag. isn't as universally shunned in Africa as is popularly believed -- not by any stretch of the imagination. It appears to me that if you can get close to 2100 fps. or better out of it with acceptable pressures and good 500 gr. bullets you've got a load that'll kill the big stuff well.

And yes, with that said I do believe the .458 Lott to be a better cartridge. It really couldn't be any other way, especially since you can use .458 Win. Mag. in it in a pinch.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr Shoemaker... I enjoy reading your articals very much, so was wondering if you had a hunting book published? Your's and Seyfried's are the two I read first in Rifle/handloader. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen, I didn't get your hunting photos with the others.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote