THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Re: Boots for goats and sheep hunts?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Boots for goats and sheep hunts?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

I can walk on any terrain and can reaaly go in the shale

greg p,
I've seen you walk and I'd describe it as more of a...well..."waddle!"
best,
bhtr

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just wondering what you guys are using for hunts like that.

Thanks in advance!

HUNTR

Posts: 88 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Rocky Bear claw for all my hunting.

I had a pair of meindl boot that were fabric and not leather as suggested below that I destroyed on a single sheep hunt.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a pair of Sportiva Lhotse's after my Meindls gave up the ghost last summer. The Lhotse's are very stiff, with a steel shank in the sole and plastic inserts in the tongue and sides. Leather uppers. Very good for steep country. I found that it made getting into places that no human should be fairly easy... the hard part was getting down. They are a mountaineering boot of high quality.

The bad: Pretty expensive. Because they are so stiff, walking along creeks with smooth round rocks is murder on your knees. Not great for tundra walking either. Great for the mountains though.

The Meindl boots I had were very good, but if you are looking for a boot just for sheep and/or goat, you can't go wrong with the Sportiva Lhotse, in my opinion.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
while i have no experience with the sportiva's. i did use the german meindls at the recomendation of my outfitter dan montgomery for our aug. 2002 sheep hunt in chugach state park.

the boots were very good all leather mountaineering quality cclimbing boots. they will accept crampons. stay away from the cordura or fabric boots u need the stiffness of all leather. i have used these boots on 3 hunts since and still are satisfied. waterproof the leather well.

other boots worth a look russel sheep hunters, danner.

cold zero

with short list

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like my Schnee's boots. They are very comfortable and rugged. schnees

Posts: 493 | Location: GEORGIA, U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Koflach Hunters for tough hunts in the shale
and I like them have tried others but nothing gives as
much support.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a pair of boots built for me by Russell Moccasin that have been excellent. They have a Sheep Hunter model that you can customize to your liking and they stand behind what they make. Delivery time was about 3 months but it was worth the wait.

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I must have went through 12 pair of boots before i bought a pair of Koflack(sp). I can walk on any terrain and can reaaly go in the shale and when i sidehill. The only boot for sheep and goat. IMO

Posts: 308 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote