Find
Notify
Tools

.223 for Moose
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted
Before you laugh, check out the pic. One of my buddies sent it to me. Looks like one of the local kids took this 61"er with a Mini 14. Don't say it can't be done, tho I wouldn't try it personally. I started my kid out with a .308 at age 10 w/reduced handloads.

This is somewhere in the Dillingham area.

MM

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Laugh! I'd laugh if you said it couldn't be done. I've seen the .223 rem. cartridge kill everything from geese to moose to polar bear. It is an extremly versitle round. Cheers on finally throwing some evidence at the sceptics. beer

Arctic Gun

Posts: 91 | Location: North of sixty | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say it can not be done. But it wouldn't be my first choice. But if I had a 223 and had to kill something I am sure I could and would do it.

But if I just spent 10 grand or so on a moose hunt I belive I would use something a bit bigger.

Posts: 19428 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is somewhere in the Dillingham area.

He's a local and I'd about bet that Mark H. Young knows this young man. Doubt he had 10k$ tied up in his trip. Check out his Nikes, that's cool.

Heck of a post, Muskeg.

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

Season opened up there in the Dillingham area Aug. 10. Moose are very plentiful in the lower Nushagak and most locals just run the river until they get their moose. Many do use the 223 or 243.

Now given the above let me say that often if a moose is sighted everybody in the boat shoots until the moose dies. The point is that a wounded moose with 2-3 223 rounds in him may not be followed up. The 223 is considered a political issue and the legislature will not even consider banning it. I personally have seen it wound a ton of game. I'm getting off on a rant so I'll stop now but let me say the 223 may be the worst thing that ever happened to Alaska game.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
How do you know that's a mini-14? Could it be a mini-30 (7.62x39)... At least that would be in the realm of semi-marginal for moose, at least compared to a .223. Just trying to give the kid a tiny bit of credit Smiler

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
.223 is the popular choice in the bush, and I'd assume muskegman recieved info on the caliber when he recieved the photo.

The traditional hunting techniques and attitude of subsistance hunters is very different than that of sporting hunters. It is a political issue that I don't want to touch either.

Suffice to say game is wounded and lost with a variety of chamberings, and successfully and cleanly harvested with a variety of chamberings. I'd venture to say that 3 brow tine 50" rules result in alot of wasted moose meat as well, but that's another subject Frowner

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote