THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Less then 1 month until I am in Alaska moose hunting.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Less then 1 month until I am in Alaska moose hunting.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted
Less then 1 month until I am in Alaska moose hunting. I can't wait. My father and I will be hunting from the same camp, but not hunting together.
A few questions for you guys.
What are the chances we will see wolves? I would like to shoot one.
Can we bring our antlers back as luggage? Or do we have to ship them back UPS?
We are both shooting 300 Weatherby's with wood stocks. Do you think we will have any problems with the weather and our wood stocks? Should we use the tape on the end of the barrel trick?
Looking forward to hunt and seeing Alaska and everything she has to offer.
If we get done a few days early, is worth staying in Anchorage to do some sight seeing?

Posts: 239 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Where are you hunting? There's always a chance for a wolf and depending on what unit your hunting you could possibly have a shot at a nice black bear.
I wouldn't worry too much about the wood stock, as long as you keep it wiped down each day and oil it some. You can bring your antlers back as luggage but it's going to cost you, i'd rather ship it through a carrier if it were me.
Tape your barrel and you'll prevent crap from getting jammed down into your barrel.
Weather is always an issue in Alaska and I always plan for the bad stuff.
Bring good rain gear, preferably Impertech and a good pair of hip boots.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Motor, where will you and your father be hunting?

Best of luck and enjoy your hunt. Be sure to post pictures and a report when you get back so we can vicariously enjoy it too.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly one month for me. Can hardly sleep at night in anticipation. Which unit are you hunting in, Motor?

One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
I am huntung in unit 9. I will make sure to post pics when we get back.

Land Cruiser, where are you hunting?

Posts: 239 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am on my way as well to the Alaskan Range on 8-30 for 9 day hunt with Fred Sorenson. I can hardly wait. Good luck to all. George

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
Good luck studdog,
I am hunting with Phil Shoemaker, it would be nice to get a couple nice moose. Maybe a wolf or two.
I will be up in the UP this winter doing some snowmobiling.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unit 23 here. Good luck to all!

One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
Good luck Land Cruiser,
We just got back from the range shooting at lunch.
The 300 Weatherby's should do the trick.
i am not a big fisherman, but I look forward to trying my hand at some fishing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unit 21D for myself. Looking forward to the adventure.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flying to Fairbanks 8-30 staying at Pike's Waterfront Lodge. Then off to Salcha and Supercub to camp in Alaska Mountain Range. This is a return trip. It's beautiful beyond believe. Good luck to all!

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
With the season less then 2 weeks away, does anyone know if the rut will be in full swing?

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
You can take the stock off and coat it with linseed oil. The barrel and stock just get oiled down regularly. Anchorage has some good restaraunts and some touristy stuff. Glacier Brew House is the best restaraunt in town I've been to. The best shops in town for suveniers/cool stuff to look at are the Alaska Fur Exchange and the Antique Gallery. A drive down Turnagain is Worth it and you'll likely see sheep right by the road. Rainbow and steelhead fishing should be in FULL swing on the Kenai Penn and Valley rivers which are a couple hours drive from Anchorage either direction. You can always let me know and I'll meet up with ya.

Brett

330-429-2762

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MotorCity:
With the season less then 2 weeks away, does anyone know if the rut will be in full swing?

If you call the Anchorage Fish and Game office they will give you the biologists name and number for that area.
The "rut" starts within the same 24 hour period every year like clockwork for the area (latitude) you are hunting. The start of the rut for all members of the deer family (which includes moose) is triggered by the loss of daylight and is as regular as clockwork year in and year out. You sometimes find horny mean bulls early and some are not so horny.
I seen bulls in full rut when it was 65 degreees in Denali Park. Temperatures have zip to do with rut.

We always tape our muzzle with black electricians tape.

Yes, Anchorage is a great place to visit. If you have access to a rental car I suggest you drive down to Girdwood for not only the scenery but to eat at the Double Muskie. A few years ago it's Pepper Steak was rated the best steak in the USA by the Food Network channel.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6604 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Land Cruiser, where in 23 are you going? I know that area pretty well. Good luck!

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went up above KianaSmiler Good times, weather sucked, it was too warm, but I didn't come home empty handed.

Motor city, how did you do?

One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
Yes, way to warm. I did not get one. I did not see any "shooters". I will post a pic of my dads. He took a nice one.
Let see some pics LC.

One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic of the just antlers. They weighed 74 pounds at the airport. The young kid(Wes) next to my dad, did a great job calling the moose in to about 300 yards for the shot.[URL= ][IMG]

One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MotorCity:
Yes, way to warm. I did not get one. I did not see any "shooters". I will post a pic of my dads. He took a nice one.
Let see some pics LC.

One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
Congratulations,

Please tell us all about the hunt:

The booking agent
The Guide
All the travel
The weather
The gun.
The story